What's new

flat panel must haves Aug 05 (1 Viewer)

Rick_B

Auditioning
I'm being forced to go through a crash course in flat panel television technology in short order. We're moving into a condo where our beloved CRT just doesn't work.

Oh...and I'm on a budget.

But because the TV is such a focal point I don't want to skimp and feel regretful that I missed an important feature.

From what I've picked up from this forum and sales people, I have come to the following conclusion:

I'm leaning toward a LCD with these must haves:
HDMI input
Built in tuner
As fast a response time as I can afford
Same for contrast ratio

Am I on track? Although I may not use the HDMI or tuner right away, I think they would be wise to have since I plan on owning the monitor for a long time.

There are a bunch of 32" LCD's hovering around the $2000 mark all with very similar features, Sharp, Panasonic, LG, Samsung etc.

I'm looking for something that might differentiate them...i.e. a feature that I might not appreciate but would be glad I had later.

I've read the reviews and they're all glowing.

If this were a computer thread, I'd have lots to suggest but alas this is new territory for me.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Haven't investigated the larger LCD panels, but I would assume they are all HD (ie 1200/1300X768) vs ED units. True 1080p LCD panels are either just here or quite near so that may be another consideration. If I were in the market, I'd want HD panel resolution and an HD (ATSC?) tuner vs an NTSC tuner (or maybe they come with both?) If I were shopping brand, I would look in the order you have them listed in terms of quality. JMO

Mort

Rick_B

Auditioning
Thanks Mort!

All of the larger LCD's I've seen have been HD. Not sure if they come in ED at all.

The benefits of LCD as I understand them are: a bit sharper picture, no burn in and lower power consumption/heat. As a photographer, I'd like to display my images on the screen on occasion which pretty much eliminates plasma as I understand it.

Of course I wouldn't mind considering a 42" plasma but since I'm on a budget the prices tend to be out of reach. I think I'd rather have a very good 32" HD LCD than a 42" ED plasma.

Thanks again!
Rick

ThomasJames

Auditioning
Get to a store with both LCD panels and plasma panels mounted near each other with an HD feed. Compare for yourself. Last evening I stood comparing a 32" HD LCD to a Panny ED Plasma (PD50)which I own. No comparison..the LCD was softer with noticable bluring with fast movement.Panny looked much better. Go to a store and compare for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks