flat panel must haves Aug 05

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rick_B, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Rick_B

Rick_B Auditioning

I'm being forced to go through a crash course in flat panel television technology in short order. We're moving into a condo where our beloved CRT just doesn't work.

Oh...and I'm on a budget.

But because the TV is such a focal point I don't want to skimp and feel regretful that I missed an important feature.

From what I've picked up from this forum and sales people, I have come to the following conclusion:

I'm leaning toward a LCD with these must haves:
    HDMI input
    Built in tuner
    As fast a response time as I can afford
    Same for contrast ratio

Am I on track? Although I may not use the HDMI or tuner right away, I think they would be wise to have since I plan on owning the monitor for a long time.

There are a bunch of 32" LCD's hovering around the $2000 mark all with very similar features, Sharp, Panasonic, LG, Samsung etc.

I'm looking for something that might differentiate them...i.e. a feature that I might not appreciate but would be glad I had later.

I've read the reviews and they're all glowing.

If this were a computer thread, I'd have lots to suggest but alas this is new territory for me.

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Haven't investigated the larger LCD panels, but I would assume they are all HD (ie 1200/1300X768) vs ED units. True 1080p LCD panels are either just here or quite near so that may be another consideration. If I were in the market, I'd want HD panel resolution and an HD (ATSC?) tuner vs an NTSC tuner (or maybe they come with both?) If I were shopping brand, I would look in the order you have them listed in terms of quality. JMO

Mort

3. Rick_B

Rick_B Auditioning

Thanks Mort!

All of the larger LCD's I've seen have been HD. Not sure if they come in ED at all.

The benefits of LCD as I understand them are: a bit sharper picture, no burn in and lower power consumption/heat. As a photographer, I'd like to display my images on the screen on occasion which pretty much eliminates plasma as I understand it.

Of course I wouldn't mind considering a 42" plasma but since I'm on a budget the prices tend to be out of reach. I think I'd rather have a very good 32" HD LCD than a 42" ED plasma.

Thanks again!
    Rick

4. ThomasJames

ThomasJames Auditioning

Get to a store with both LCD panels and plasma panels mounted near each other with an HD feed. Compare for yourself. Last evening I stood comparing a 32" HD LCD to a Panny ED Plasma (PD50)which I own. No comparison..the LCD was softer with noticable bluring with fast movement.Panny looked much better. Go to a store and compare for yourself.