Flash or other website animation...why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher P, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Let me set this up...we are hiring a new graphic designer. I am going through e-mails (most of which come through a 3rd party, so with no return e-mail address). These imbeciles don't include any info in the email / application, just a "Check out my website..." so when I do that to get conact info, I have to sit through all the garbage animation at the beginning to find an e-mail address.

So why? Why put all this crap on your website? I understand you are trying to show off your skills, but why at the beginning? And why as part of the navigation? Why not have a separate category to show off? And if you aren't a graphic deigner, you have no business putting this garbage on your website at all, I just have no patience for it.

~~Calms down...fells better.

Chris

2. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I completely agree. There should be a "skip intro" or Non-Flash version of EVERY site.
    I hope none of your candidates was responsible for this: http://www.zombo.com/
    [​IMG]

3. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

If you're asking why do we put animation in web design, you might as well ask why do we wear the clothes we do or style our hair the way we do.

Now, if you're just bitching because some people force you to sit through an intro flash animation before being forwarded to the main content of their site, then I agree. It's in bad taste and it usually drives me away from a site. At the very least, they should have a simple page at the root of their site giving you an option to view the flash animation or to go directly to the navigation page. If they are sending you sites with long intro animations as their e-resume ... I'd just toss them. Flash can be pretty cool, but most people don't use it well and it comes off way too gimicky ... my 2 cents.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I agree, most people do not use flash for the right reasons. It has some great applications, but most of the time the web designers use it because they can, not because it has any added benefit.

Christopher, I don't think the flash pages are your problem, I think the people attempting to apply for the position are the problem. Anybody who does not leave any contact information when they are applying for a job shouldn't even be considered. I'd be hard pressed to even look at their website, let alone hunt around for contact info.