What's new

Fixing the WEGA squeeze effect: Would you suggest it?? (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
In "16x9 enhanced" mode, the WEGA TV squishes the image. I have read how to "Fix the WEGA Oversqueeze"--getting rid of the unnatural squeeze. I just wanted to know if anyone out there has done it or even contemplated doing it. Obviously it requires the service menu to be opened.

Is it more trouble than it's worth?

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't noticed and 'oversqueeze' in mine. It looks just about right (round objects look round, not elliptical). If yous is oversqueezing, I believe it can be tweeked in the service menu.

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
Be sure your DVD player is set to 16:9 and not 4:3. My Wega looks great when using 16:9 enhanced mode.

Dan Curwin

Auditioning
An anomorphic circle on my new KV-32FV27 was about 11" wide and 10.25" tall. I followed Chuck's procedure for fixing the oversqueeze and had no problems.

The service menu is not tricky as long as you're very careful. Also, you can opt to skip the "save settings" step until your sure you are happy with the results. That way, if you goof anything up, you can get the original settings back by unplugging the TV for a minute or two.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I did the fix on mine, and it made the picture look much better. The service menu isn't as scary as it sounds.

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
When you put the dvd player in 16:9, it goes into 16:9 mode. Then if I put my Wega in 16:9 enhanced mode too, it shrinks the picture even more so the actual movie picture is very small. Is this how it is supposed to work??

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
When you put the dvd player in 16:9, it goes into 16:9 mode. Then if I put my Wega in 16:9 enhanced mode too, it shrinks the picture even more so the actual movie picture is very small. Is this how it is supposed to work?

Yes. By putting your DVD player into 16:9 mode, you are telling it to output the video as it was recorded (dont letterbox it in the player). You will notice that the image is now stretched vertically when your TV isnt in 16:9 mode. By switching your TV to 16:9 mode, it used magnetic deflection to 'squeeze' the image into letterbox format. Keep in mind that with aspect ratios greater than 1:85 to 1, you will still see black bars before putting your set into 16:9 mode.

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, On 1:85 to 1 ratio, I put my dvd player in 16:9 mode and the picture is stretched vertically. I then put my Wega in 16:9 mode, and it compresses the picture with the black bars across the top.

What was confusing me was that I was watching a movie that was 2:35 to 1 ratio and the black bars were there before I put the TV in 16:9 enhanced mode. Then when I put the TV in 16:9 mode, the black bars were even bigger. I guess the only time to use the 16:9 mode on the wega is when the ratio is 1:85 to 1, unless you can put up with a very small picture.

One of my DVD's is 1:33 to 1 ratio too.

Pete P

Auditioning
Excellent thread! I just got a 32FV27 and will be getting a "real" DVD player in March (my current player is a playstation2) and will be able to investigate the squeeze more thoroughly at that time.

Does anyone know whether Video Essentials has a corresponding anomorphic test pattern? I got Video Essentials a while ago but haven't used it yet.

Again - excellent thread - very informative!

nousername

Supporting Actor
No. You should use the WEGA's 16:9 mode on ALL DVDs that are anamorphically enhanced, regardless of whether they are 2.35 to 1 or 1.85 to 1. These DVDs will typically say on the back of the case: "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs" or "Anamorphically Enhanced" or "Anamorphic Widescreen", etc.
With 2.35 to 1 anamorphically enhanced DVDs, you will ALWAYS have bigger black bars than DVDs that are 1.85 to 1 ratio.
The only time you should turn off 16:9 Mode on your WEGA is when playing DVDs that are 1.33 to 1 ratio and DVDs that are widescreen but NOT anamorphically enhanced.
Better yet, if your WEGA has the Auto 16:9 Mode feature, use this instead, so that the TV will figure out what kind of DVD you have. (The exception to this rule is if you have an XBR model and are using a progressive scan DVD player via its progressive outputs. For this, you have to turn the 16:9 Mode on the XBR manually.)
Also remember to leave your DVD player on 16:9 mode at ALL times.
Hope this clears things up...

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Allan is right. You always use 16:9 mode on your Wega. The amount of 'squeeze' is always constant. It doesnt matter what the original aspect ratio is. If the disk is enhanced, use the 'squeeze'. It should be obvious when watching a disk, regardless of aspect ratio, when to use the 16:9 mode, as everything will look stretched vertically if the disk is enhanced but your set isnt in 16:9 mode. As Allan says also, leave your DVD player in 16:9 mode all the time. If the disk isnt enhanced, it will play it normally.

Pete P

Auditioning
Let me see if I got this right (I can be exceptionally dense sometimes). I just got a Sony 32FV27 which will automatically do the squeeze. If I set my DVD player to 16:9 and put in one of my daughter's "cheap" DVD's (e.g. Mary-Kate & Ashley) which is obviously not anomorphic, the TV will automatically sense it and play the DVD non-letterboxed/full screen. Is this correct?

Tony Peck

Grip
Pete,

Not to confuse you further, but there are some DVDs labeled "Widescreen" that are not anamorphic. The best and most popular example of this is "Titanic". If you leave your TV in 4:3 mode "Titanic" will have the correct (2.35:1) aspect ratio. If you put the TV in 16:9 mode it will be super squeezed to the wrong (4.18:1) ratio. Another example of this is the "Widescreen" version of "A Bug's Life".

The difference is that for non-anamorphic "letterboxed" movies the DVD player is responsible for putting the entire thickness of the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. For anamorphic movies (viewed in 16:9 mode) the TV accounts for about 1/2 the thickness of the bars above and below (on a 2.35:1 movie).

The advantage of anamorphic is an increase in vertical resolution, as more scan lines are being used to display the image within the same height.

"Enhanced for Widescreen", or "Anamorphically Enhanced" labels on a discs case should be your indicator to use the TV's 16:9 mode. I say should, because there are even a few discs labeled as "Enhanced for Widescreen" that are in fact not. A good example is the first release of "The Abyss". Even though it says it on the box, it is actually just a letterboxed transfer like "Titanic".

Hope this helps,

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks