What's new

First time at movies in a while: Two BIG films and I walked out of one (1 Viewer)

Andrew Priest

Stunt Coordinator

In all fairness, it's not like they were making fun of some poor, innocent short person. He was the bad guy after all. He had it coming. Not just because he was evil and the root of much suffering, or because he was a wuss that didn't even rescue his own maiden, but also because he went through such absurd lengths to hide his shortness.

It could be pointed out that the characters who tried to deceive or conceal their true personas fared the worst while when they were honest they did the best. Shrek and Princess Fiona for example. Their problems between each other were rooted in deceit.

Ok, that's enough defending Shrek.

Thinking about it though, couldn’t the message have been more that it’s important not to try and hide your true self? More about self judgment than judging others? Donkey was the one character who never had anything to hide. But the others all run into trouble because they try to pretend they are something they are not.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I don't go to the movies frequently anymore
as I don't find the theatrical experience to
be an enjoyable one."

I still love to go. Although I hate the crowds,talking, teenagers talking,constantly getting up,etc.Which is why I go to saturday morning showings. Never have to put up that stuff then except for the rare occasion I HAVE to see something on release day/Friday night with my G/F - Like Spidey 2 :)

My other complaint would be sound systems - theyre just too low.

"Being a huge fan of the original Shrek (and who isn't)"

Me neither. Ive always felt it was really overrated.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I think it's unfair to specify it to be teenagers talking."

Im not picking on them. Hellboy,X2,The Hulk,HP& POA for example all had teens walking up and down the aisles, getting up blocking my view,talking,cracking on the film like thy were in Mystery Science Theatre 3000,etc.

Hellboy was by far the worst. As a few adults had to stand up and tell the kids to sit down and be quiet.

Sure,Ive been in screening with adults talking or making comments but its never really enough that Id say theyre interferring with my movie experience.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
My experience is that with adults, it's whispering or hushed questions and usually pertaining to what is happening on the screen. With teens, it's overwhelmingly stupidity and being loud just for the sake of attracting attention. I just find it puzzling why someone would throw down $15-$20 for a night at the movies and then not watch the movie. If you just wanted to hang out and socialize and act stupid, you could've done that in the parking lot. Disposable income, indeed.

Now, I've never walked out of a movie to date. I'm not saying I wouldn't but it would take an impressively dull movie to drive me away. Even as the movies become more stupid, they do have a higher level of entertainment value which makes it easier to dismiss the stupidity and enjoy the flick.

Bruce

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Wow, Ron...I loved HPIII - HP is one of my favorite films this year and by FAR the best of the Potter series.

Not climactic????? Sheesh. We must be looking for entirely different things in a cinematic experience. I don't even know where to begin. I just wish Cuaron had directed the first two or was directing the next. POA is the first HP movie that qualitfies as a *film*, and the first that captures the feeling of the books for me. The first with any visual storytelling, texture or subtext. MaryAnn Johanssen's review at flickfilosopher.com pretty much sums up my reaction.

I don't think Shrek has worn that well. I found Shrek 2 mildly amusing but shallow as a dime.

'Course, some of my other favorite films of the year so far are Bon Voyage, Lost Boys of the Sudan, I'm Not Afraid and The Saddest Music In The WOrld. The last movie I walked out of was Riddick - I went next door to see HP/POA again.

I still prefer seeing movies in a movie theater - provided it has a good sound system and is well presented. Nothing like the experience of seeing a great film with a 150 strangers in the dark.

Brenda M

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't like Shrek at all.

POA left out too many things that would have helped the movie flow, it felt a bit disjointed.

I think everyone going to see a movie walks out of the theater before it is over. Doesn't anyone watch the credits anymore? The best part is the credit soundtrack music and seeing how many people it takes to make a movie. It gives you time to let the experience sink in a bit and lets you wake up to face reality. I had to buy the soundtrack of the new Harry Potter after hearing the credits William's score.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

I don't either - I just avoid most of them anyway.

Actually, I have only once ever walked out on a movie - I lasted 20 minutes thru Bill Murray's remake of The Razor's Edge.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

I don't either - I just avoid most of them anyway.

Actually, I have only once ever walked out on a movie - I lasted 20 minutes thru Bill Murray's remake of The Razor's Edge.

Beau

Supporting Actor
I've never walked out of a movie, though I probably would if it's bad enough. As for the movie theater experince itself, I usually go to 11-12 in the afternoon showings when it's not packed(though those showing are sometimes crowded). I rarely go to nighttime showings, and the times that I have I feel I've been pretty lucky since there's hardly ever people who talk constantly or have their cellphone ring during the film like I read a lot about other peoples expirences on message boards. The only thing I hate about movie theaters is the price. $6.00! I remember about 10 years ago when it was $3.00. Not to mention how much it costs after 6PM, $9 or $10.

Beau

Supporting Actor
I've never walked out of a movie, though I probably would if it's bad enough. As for the movie theater experince itself, I usually go to 11-12 in the afternoon showings when it's not packed(though those showing are sometimes crowded). I rarely go to nighttime showings, and the times that I have I feel I've been pretty lucky since there's hardly ever people who talk constantly or have their cellphone ring during the film like I read a lot about other peoples expirences on message boards. The only thing I hate about movie theaters is the price. $6.00! I remember about 10 years ago when it was $3.00. Not to mention how much it costs after 6PM, $9 or $10.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Beau, I think you have it pretty easy as far as ticket prices. Folks in L.A. and New York are looking at 8.00 to 10.00 ticket prices and maybe more. But then if it's expensive for you, who am I to say otherwise?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Beau, I think you have it pretty easy as far as ticket prices. Folks in L.A. and New York are looking at 8.00 to 10.00 ticket prices and maybe more. But then if it's expensive for you, who am I to say otherwise?

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that's why I hate Casablanca....that stupidly dated "a kiss is still a kiss" song.

:rolleyes:

Jon

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that's why I hate Casablanca....that stupidly dated "a kiss is still a kiss" song.

:rolleyes:

Jon

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I thought Shrek 2 started a little slow, but once it got going it was very entertaining. And this is not supposed to be highbrow stuff. It's so you can go laugh for a couple of hours.

I'm making room on the DVD shelf for Shrek 2.

POA I haven't seen yet. My wife and daughter saw it and they liked it "ok" - my 8 year old immediately wanted to see Shrek 2 again (and did), but didn't ask to see HP POA again.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I thought Shrek 2 started a little slow, but once it got going it was very entertaining. And this is not supposed to be highbrow stuff. It's so you can go laugh for a couple of hours.

I'm making room on the DVD shelf for Shrek 2.

POA I haven't seen yet. My wife and daughter saw it and they liked it "ok" - my 8 year old immediately wanted to see Shrek 2 again (and did), but didn't ask to see HP POA again.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think his reference to $6/ticket refers to matinee prices - he states "Not to mention how much it costs after 6PM, $9 or $10."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks