First time at movies in a while: Two BIG films and I walked out of one

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I don't go to the movies frequently anymore
    as I don't find the theatrical experience to
    be an enjoyable one.

Yesterday I decided that perhaps for once I
    should get out and see the two big summer films.
    I decided to see Shrek and Harry Potter.

I was rather disappointed in both. One I walked
    out on 3/4 of the way through.

Being a huge fan of the original Shrek
    (and who isn't), I was anticipating enjoying
    the sequel. Once the film began It didn't take
    long before I realized that most of the flavor
    of the original film was completely lost.

I realize that DreamWorks made a big deal about
    improving the animation for Shrek 2. For
    me, the improvement was part of the problem....the
    film looks too modernized. In addition, I felt
    that many of the jokes fell flat while the
    filmmakers took too many opportunities to throw
    in really bad music including a typical cliche'
    ending where everyone is dancing on stage

Don't get me wrong, I found Shrek 2 to be
    very entertaining with a few solid laughs, but it
    seems that so much of the original film's charm
    has been lost here that I fear for the third film.

As for Harry Potter....

Every review I had read for Harry Potter and the
    Prisoner of Azkaban
    praised the new director for
    taking this film in an entirely new direction. It's
    very apparant that this Potter is much darker
    than the first two films. The problem I found was
    that it was also slower and very anti-climatic.

One of the big reasons I got out to see this Potter
    installment was because of "chameleon" actor Gary
    Oldman, who I feel is sensational in everything he
    does. It took more than half the film for Oldman's
    character to appear on the screen, and when he did,
    I was disappointed that he was placed in a role that
    didn't seem to fit him. Oldman is known for playing
    sadistically evil characters. The build-up the film
    gives you to his arrival only ended with disgruntlement.

I was so bored with the film that I left 3/4 of the
    way through at the point Where the teacher
    was transforming into a warewolf and about to face
    the black wolf

I realize my opinions are amongst the minority
    here based on the rave reviews that both these
    films have received. Still, I am interested as to
    how many of you agree or disagree with my assesments.

2. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Don't what to say Ron. Maybe your new doo has given you a new outlook on life![​IMG]

Shrek2 like Shrek won't age that well. It's a movie for the moment and then one moves on.

As for HP - haven't seen the new one yet - telling in itself I think - but so far am finding the movies fail to capture the fun and magic of the books. If anything, the movies have tended to highlight the weaknesses of the books.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Wow, I don't think your signature pic could be any more menacing if you said you walked-out of a hole in the prison wall!

As for the movies, I'm sorry you wasted $20 you'll never get back. Let this serve to remind you why co-own this forum "Ticket prices ain't worth it". [​IMG]

4. Bill Wheatley

As much as I read the read HTF I hardly ever post anything. But after reading Ron’s opinion on Harry Potter I felt I had to say AMEN!

I think I probably dosed off a few times and I saw my nephew squirming in his seat like he was bored silly. Then I read all the reviews about how great this movie is and I kept wondering what the hell I was missing.

I’m with you… hated it.

5. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

6. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Shrek 2: I loved the first movie, and still like it, but it has definitely lost some of it's luster. The wife and I were pretty unimpressed with 2. Is it possible to be too hip? The only explanation for the amazing BO that I can come up with is that the economy really is doing well and current events have many (more than usual) looking for a respite.

Harry Potter: NA

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Shrek 2: I loved the first movie, and still like it, but it has definitely lost some of it's luster. The wife and I were pretty unimpressed with 2. Is it possible to be too hip? The only explanation for the amazing BO that I can come up with is that the economy really is doing well and current events have many (more than usual) looking for a respite.

Harry Potter: NA

8. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

I know I am in the minority here, but I liked Shrek 2 much more than Shrek. I found Shrek trying to be what Disney was not. The crude humor was, IMHO, just to yell at the audience "WE ARE NOT DISNEY!". I found myself laughing MUCH more this time around. And I found the Dancing at the end fit in much better here than during the first. This one makes me WANT a Shrek 3. And for the record, I did not even want to see a Shrek 2. Shrek 2 will be on our DVD purchase list.

As for Harry Potter, I now approach them as I did movies based upon Tom Clancy's books. There is just too much there to do a seamless translation to the screen. I'll still take my kids to see them, but my oldest told me after the film was over "Is that it?". I did not get a sense that an entire school year has passed. I did not get the feeling that Harry actual grew during this year, just jumping from one scene to another. And the capper from the book, the giving permission was totally left out. That was an important link to understand the connection between Sirrus and Harry.

All IMHO, of course.

9. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

I know I am in the minority here, but I liked Shrek 2 much more than Shrek. I found Shrek trying to be what Disney was not. The crude humor was, IMHO, just to yell at the audience "WE ARE NOT DISNEY!". I found myself laughing MUCH more this time around. And I found the Dancing at the end fit in much better here than during the first. This one makes me WANT a Shrek 3. And for the record, I did not even want to see a Shrek 2. Shrek 2 will be on our DVD purchase list.

As for Harry Potter, I now approach them as I did movies based upon Tom Clancy's books. There is just too much there to do a seamless translation to the screen. I'll still take my kids to see them, but my oldest told me after the film was over "Is that it?". I did not get a sense that an entire school year has passed. I did not get the feeling that Harry actual grew during this year, just jumping from one scene to another. And the capper from the book, the giving permission was totally left out. That was an important link to understand the connection between Sirrus and Harry.

All IMHO, of course.

10. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    I actually enjoyed Shrek 1 the 1st time I saw it but when I rented it a few mos later I thought it was really boring. It just didn't have the same humorous impact. I haven't bothered watching it since. I think Pixar has done a much better job with what I think of as "timeless" laughs. I can still watch Nemo or A Bug's Life & enjoy both.

I have to go with Ronald on Shrek 2: The music & dance number at the end were unforgivable. Up until then I thought the film was good BUT then they had the gall to use "Livin' La Vida Loca", a song that went out of style over 2 yrs ago! I hate it when producers go for an obvious pop tune to get a RAH! RAH! reaction out of audiences! How 'bout just a little more originality, huh? The ode to Flashdance was funny but that whole scene brought my enjoyment factor down to -0.
    Can't really say anything about the Harry Potter series. I thought the 1st film was dull so I've never bothered with it or the sequels since.

11. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    I actually enjoyed Shrek 1 the 1st time I saw it but when I rented it a few mos later I thought it was really boring. It just didn't have the same humorous impact. I haven't bothered watching it since. I think Pixar has done a much better job with what I think of as "timeless" laughs. I can still watch Nemo or A Bug's Life & enjoy both.

I have to go with Ronald on Shrek 2: The music & dance number at the end were unforgivable. Up until then I thought the film was good BUT then they had the gall to use "Livin' La Vida Loca", a song that went out of style over 2 yrs ago! I hate it when producers go for an obvious pop tune to get a RAH! RAH! reaction out of audiences! How 'bout just a little more originality, huh? The ode to Flashdance was funny but that whole scene brought my enjoyment factor down to -0.
    Can't really say anything about the Harry Potter series. I thought the 1st film was dull so I've never bothered with it or the sequels since.

12. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Shrek 2 isn't out here yet but I wasn't a fan of the first so I'll probably skip 2.

As for Harry Potter...

I'm amazed by this, because at this point I was absolutely captivated. Thatb scene sticks out in my mind as particularly inventive and sinister.

I agree with certain criticisms:
    -That there was so much from the book that could have been filmed and wasn't shows what a difficult translation this was compared with the other 2.
    -The shrieking shack scene felt very rushed and improperly staged.
    -There was almost no sense of a whole school-year passing because of all the exposition that needed to squeeze into the run-time.

Overall though, there were some exceptional performances, and I found it very entertaining and very funny.

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Shrek 2 isn't out here yet but I wasn't a fan of the first so I'll probably skip 2.

As for Harry Potter...

I'm amazed by this, because at this point I was absolutely captivated. Thatb scene sticks out in my mind as particularly inventive and sinister.

I agree with certain criticisms:
    -That there was so much from the book that could have been filmed and wasn't shows what a difficult translation this was compared with the other 2.
    -The shrieking shack scene felt very rushed and improperly staged.
    -There was almost no sense of a whole school-year passing because of all the exposition that needed to squeeze into the run-time.

Overall though, there were some exceptional performances, and I found it very entertaining and very funny.

14. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Personally, I disagree with Ron about Shrek 2. I thought the movie was a lot of fun, and a lot of the charm is still there. Tho, sometimes they did go a little overboard with the references, it is still about Shrek and Fiona, and nice to see a reversal of sorts. It isn't as good as the first, but it is still darn good.

TommyT, as for the ending, I think that was the point. At such celebrations, often tired and overdone songs are done.

As for Harry Potter, I haven't seen the film yet, so I can't judge the quality of it yet, but it sounds like Ron was expecting a different kind of film.

Still, I never walk out of a film. If I paid the price, I should pay the price. [​IMG]

Jason

15. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Personally, I disagree with Ron about Shrek 2. I thought the movie was a lot of fun, and a lot of the charm is still there. Tho, sometimes they did go a little overboard with the references, it is still about Shrek and Fiona, and nice to see a reversal of sorts. It isn't as good as the first, but it is still darn good.

TommyT, as for the ending, I think that was the point. At such celebrations, often tired and overdone songs are done.

As for Harry Potter, I haven't seen the film yet, so I can't judge the quality of it yet, but it sounds like Ron was expecting a different kind of film.

Still, I never walk out of a film. If I paid the price, I should pay the price. [​IMG]

Jason

16. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I thought Harry Potter was pretty good. Perhaps too predictable and formulaic, with some plot holes, but come on, we're talking Harry Potter here (kiddie fantasy). No offense, HP book fans.

It was a lot darker and less kiddy (at least in atmosphere). The castle scenes looked like a real castle more than a castle playland in the first movie. The characterization, etc seemed equal to the last movie.

I don't see how it was nearly bad enough to walk out of. I didn't even walk out of Battlefield Earth though, and I should have.

As far as Shrek, I've never understood the big fuss over Shrek. I was amused by the first one (the funniest jokes being the potshots at Disney). We'll probably end up seeing the DVD.

17. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I thought Harry Potter was pretty good. Perhaps too predictable and formulaic, with some plot holes, but come on, we're talking Harry Potter here (kiddie fantasy). No offense, HP book fans.

It was a lot darker and less kiddy (at least in atmosphere). The castle scenes looked like a real castle more than a castle playland in the first movie. The characterization, etc seemed equal to the last movie.

I don't see how it was nearly bad enough to walk out of. I didn't even walk out of Battlefield Earth though, and I should have.

As far as Shrek, I've never understood the big fuss over Shrek. I was amused by the first one (the funniest jokes being the potshots at Disney). We'll probably end up seeing the DVD.

18. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Sorry you weren't impressed, Ron. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Shrek, but I enjoyed it, and I was expecting the same from the sequel. I enjoyed it, too. Nothing special, but entertaining.

Harry Potter, though, I thought was very good. Of course, I am a little biased, being such a fan of the books (which become less and less "kiddie fantasy" with each installment). There were some holes in the plot, mostly due to the deletion of certain elements from the novel, but I still found the film to be worthwhile.

No offense Ron, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but as Paul pointed out, you walked out before the actual climax. You missed a very important plot development that explained some of what may have seemed to be holes.

I agree with others though, the books are really the only way to really experience the richness of the Harry Potter universe. The films are fine, and I feel comfortable calling all three of them good movies. However, they do leave out, sometimes by necessity, some of the detail and characterization that the books are so beloved for.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I hope you give Prisoner of Azkaban a second chance on DVD.

19. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Sorry you weren't impressed, Ron. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Shrek, but I enjoyed it, and I was expecting the same from the sequel. I enjoyed it, too. Nothing special, but entertaining.

Harry Potter, though, I thought was very good. Of course, I am a little biased, being such a fan of the books (which become less and less "kiddie fantasy" with each installment). There were some holes in the plot, mostly due to the deletion of certain elements from the novel, but I still found the film to be worthwhile.

No offense Ron, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but as Paul pointed out, you walked out before the actual climax. You missed a very important plot development that explained some of what may have seemed to be holes.

I agree with others though, the books are really the only way to really experience the richness of the Harry Potter universe. The films are fine, and I feel comfortable calling all three of them good movies. However, they do leave out, sometimes by necessity, some of the detail and characterization that the books are so beloved for.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I hope you give Prisoner of Azkaban a second chance on DVD.

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm not sure there was an actual climax in Azkaban. The first two films were pretty self-contained, both ending with the seeming defeat (temporarily anyway) of the villain Voldemort. He makes no appearance in the third film.

Azkaban works more like "Fellowship of the Ring." Harry is just beginning to see the full scope of the evil that stalks him, that there are others involved in service to Voldemort, and Harry is becoming old enough to begin to make decisions on his own about how to face/handle such events. But there's really no closure at the end of this installment.

Azkaban is really Part One of a multi-book arc than a stand-alone story like the first books/films that were mostly getting us introduced to the characters, settings, and situations. Now, we're getting into the bigger story.