What's new

First "review" of LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring online (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
The extended cut 4-disc in the book packaging, and the collector's gift set will both be limited.

The 4-disc will be available in standard packaging as well, and this shouldn't be limited.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yes, Kenneth is correct. The initial pressings of the 4 disc release with the book style packaging is limited to the extent that after a certain point, the book style package will be replaced with one of keepcase style.

Dan

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Aaryn please expand on your previous post. Are you referring to the DVD or the movie?

Also - what are you saying about the sky colour?

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
The first screenshot is from the Academy DVD Screener. That is the old version of the movie, exactly the same as was shown in the theaters, with the car passing in the background at the red-circled spot.
The second screenshot is from the Retail DVD with better transfer and car-removed. If you look at the exact same spot, you still see some little white stuff. But there is no motion, while in the Academy DVD Screener, you see dust motion from right to left.
You can also notice a brighter transfer. But here's the problem: Too red. That makes the Moria cave and Lordareen(sp) GREEN instead of BLUE.
Academy DVD Screener
http://www.crosswinds.net/~aarynchan/fotr4.jpg
Retail DVD
http://www.crosswinds.net/~aarynchan/fotr3.jpg
I for one, would like to have the car, left in.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Aaryn, your screengrabs aren't working.
This is very disappointing if the transfer does not reflect what we saw in the theater, as far as the brightness & colors go.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, a direct-digital transfer could be possible.

Since The Fellowship of the Ring was color graded digitally, couldn't the digital "master" be used as the source for the DVD?

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Craig_S, are you sure you aint see no shots? Somebody tell me so, cause i see them, maybe it's my cache.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Aaryn,

The new URL you just posted gives me the same error message the first two do:

"Oops...

The server timed out while trying to load the page you requested. Please wait a few seconds and try again."

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I won't post the screens here, but one of IGN DVD's readers got their hands on the disc and snapped 19 screens at 853x480.

In some shots I can notice a small difference, and in others I really can't.

I saw the film twelve (yes, 12) times in theaters so it is still pretty fresh in my mind, especially since the last time I saw the film was on a pristine print the first time it was ran in this theater (the Coronet in SF - awesome place).

Now, I haven't seen the Academy Screener despite my attempts to do so, but from what I can see from the screen captures, that is the one that has the color problems. It looks much darker than what I remember in theaters.

Kami

Screenwriter
I thought the Lorien scenes were blueish, not greenish? or was i mistaken?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Aaryn, I can’t see any of your links! None!
Anyway, this is disappointing (Erasing the goofs). When are they going to learn? ORIGINAL VERSION MEANS ORIGINAL VERSION. Plain and simple. Damn it! You change a thing and it’s not the original theatrical release anymore! :thumbsdown: :angry:

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Anyway, this is disappointing (Erasing the goofs). When are they going to learn? ORIGINAL VERSION MEANS ORIGINAL VERSION. Plain and simple. Damn it! You change a thing and it’s not the original theatrical release anymore!
Eh????? It was a goof, they should be able to alter it because it doesn't change the narrative in anyway. I can't believe folks would be so upset about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks