What's new

First post: Hello everyone and please comment on my planned system: (1 Viewer)

Harv

Grip
Hello everyone,
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and have browsed and searched through tons of extremely useful (albeit sometimes overwhelming :)) information and opinions. So now I'm making my first foray into the world of HT :D :D
Right now, I have a Panasonic RP-56 on my table and a Toshiba 53HX71 HDTV coming tomorrow (woohoo!) I also plan on picking up the following components:
Harman Kardon AVR-320 receiver
JBL NSP-1 speaker set
SVS 25-31 PCi subwoofer
The choices were made with my viewing habits (50% TV, 30% gaming, 20% DVD) in mind, as well as a specific budget (no more than $1400). Any comments you gurus :D may have are welcome - I do have some specific questions, too:
1. Is the SVS overkill for the otherwise modest setup I have?
2. I can't find the HK 320 in stock anywhere for $500 or so - can anyone point me in the right direction?
3. I'm still confused about cables and whatnot...what exactly do I need to hook everything up? Any suggestions on who makes good, inexpensive cable/wire and where to get it?
Thanks in advance! :) :)

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Harv:
In response to some of your questions.
I'm still confused about cables and whatnot...what exactly do I need to hook everything up? Any suggestions on who makes good, inexpensive cable/wire and where to get it?
You will get many different opinions on this. Of course the general rule is 10% of your system cost on cables and speaker wire. Considering your budget, Radio Shack Gold Series Cables and speaker wire should be fine. Personally I went with Monster (over rated and over priced!) on all my cabling, but IMHO, I could have saved half of the over $600 I have invested in wires without any perceptible loss in quality. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with Outlaw Cables (www.outlawaudio.com) which I think are reasonably priced and of fairly high quality.
At a minumum you will need:
1. Speaker wire--preferably 12 ga. or 14 ga.
2. 1 optical OR coax cable for your digital connection from your dvd player--I would go coax to save $$
3. 2 video cables (s-video or RCA composite) for the DVD to receiver and receiver to TV---Since your investing in HDTV you may want to consider component video cables instead, but they WILL be more expensive. This will amount to 6 cables instead of 2
4. I'm not sure what kind of audio connections the Toshiba will have but I imagine you will at least need a set of RCA audio cables, or possibly another digital cable to connect it to the AVR.
Of course you could use the cables included with your components and upgrade one or a few at time.
You didn't mention a VCR, Satellite Receiver or any other components, that's why I say 'At a minumum'.
Good luck and have fun (spending $$) :)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
Sounds like a great system. You've done well. The SVS will sound great with those JBLs. I hope your now as hooked on home audio as I am. If so, you won't feel the need to upgrade that sub for a long time, which is a rarity for a newbie.

As for cables, you'll probably want 12 gauge speaker wire from home depot/lowes. Then some component video cable from Acoustic Research, radioshack, or if you feel like spending a bit more for slightly better quality, bettercables.com. You'll also want a digital coax/composite video for hookup from your dvd player to your receiver for audio. Try the aformentioned brands. What video game systems do you own? If you have xbox/ps2, you'll want component cables, as well as optical cables for audio (try AR once again).

Harv

Grip
Al and Jason, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it.
I did neglect to mention the other components of my system - I have both Xbox and PS2, which along with the DVD is one more component input than my TV has...so I'm planning to route both consoles through the receiver - I assume this is pretty straightforward.
eCost is out of stock on the HK 320's, as is J and R. I'm trying to see if Onecall will price match J and R, or at least get it close. :crosses fingers:
As for the cables, it looks like I'll be swinging by my friendly neighborhood Brandsmart to check out AR...and Radio Shack as well.
Thanks for the welcome! :)

Adam J

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what you need to get the X-Box to work.

The PS2 you will have to make sure Digital Output is set to on in the main settings (This comes up when you have no disc in the drive.

To enable Dolby 5.1 and DTS, you actually have to put a DVD in the system and change it through the Audio menu. The PS2 instruction book has all this info.

GaryAR

Agent
Harv-
I've got a pretty decent system (Denon AVR3300, Energy Encore, RCA 36" MM361100 HDTV w/Key Digital Component to SVGA adapter). I've also got it hooked up to my computer, which i would highly reccommend. To do that, you'll just need an SVGA to component adapter. I think they run about $100-$200 or so, which isn't too bad (You could always stick with s-video, but trust me it looks like crap and you'll be disappointed). Then, a wireless keyboard and mouse to finish things off (like the logitech cordless freedom optical).
Since I bought the Key Digital adapter ($300... ouch!) I've been able to run my X-Box at 480p. Let me tell you... once you see that you won't want to look at the ps2 again. Granted, most of the X-Box games kind of suck, but it sure looks good. And when the 1080i games start coming out...
You're definately going to want to buy the advanced A/V pack for your X-Box. You'll also need and an optical cable to run to your receiver for sound, and a component video cable as well. That'll be about $75, but trust me you won't regret it (if you really like your ps2 though, don't do it because afterward you won't even want to turn it on ;) ).
-gary

Harv

Grip
Well the TV came in, so right now I have it, the Panasonic RP56 hooked up with components, and the X-box connected using the Microsoft high-def A/V pack. I also have components and digital audio ready to go on the PS2 as soon as I pull the trigger on a receiver.
Gary, that idea about the PC is a great one...browsing the Web on a 53 in. screen...mmmmm :D Forgive me for being slow on the X-box, though - are you saying that I can use digital audio on it? The Microsoft pack is component video but analog audio - one red, one white. The X-box doesn't have a digital audio hookup that I can figure out...could you please elaborate?
Thanks again! You guys are great :D:emoji_thumbsup:

Stephen Stewart

Auditioning
As for the X-BOX, there are another couple adaptors available.

1) Has Component Video Output and Optical Audio Out

2) Has S-Video Output and Optical Audio Out

I must confess though, that I have never seen my Dolby Digital Signal kick-in and tell me that it's receiving 5.1Channel sound. Is there something I am missing? How can I get my X-BOX to do this? The sound from the X-BOX is incredible but I want to see the blue light come on and tell me I'm getting 5.1Ch Dolby Digital.

Scott FP

Agent
There have been some reports of defective X-Boxes in regards to 5.1 sound but this involved the sound cutting out etc...

My Marantz receiver reports 5.1 sound and the speakers all seem to kick in. Careful, in some games like Halo, the center speaker is rarely used. I may be wrong but I'm not sure if ALL X-Box games are programmed for 5.1 sound.

If the Denon is not available may I suggest Onkyo.

Have had Onkyo 575X for over a year and have never regretted it once. Am using it with NSP-1 speakers but my sub is a JBL pb 10. It sounds great.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Harv, let me tell you one of the golden rules of HT and hi-fi...
There is no such thing as overkill.
There. Now frame it and hang it up there with the THX and SVS plaques! :D
Seriously, if i had the money, i'd go for the 25-31 or 16-46 ANYTIME.

Harv

Grip
Harv, let me tell you one of the golden rules of HT and hi-fi...
There is no such thing as overkill.
Hehe...I've also long been a proponent of the 'more is more' philosophy :D Just wanted a little validation.
So, it looks like I need to go back and see if I can find an X-box hookup with digital audio. Might as well pick up a subwoofer cable and speaker wire while I'm at it...
But the good news is, I got my H/K receiver!! (AVR-320) In stock, and for an awesome price :D :emoji_thumbsup: The JBL's have been ordered, shipped...and are sitting in a UPS warehouse over the weekend :angry:
Ordered the SVS also, but haven't got a 'shipped' notification yet...kinda weird, because a guy I know ordered got some dual 20-39 CS's the same time as I and got a delivery attempt yesterday. Must...learn...patience
smiley_banghead.gif

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
You do know how heavy the demand is for the Pci's?
Expect to wait for a little while before getting it.
SVS = :emoji_thumbsup:
Wait = :thumbsdown:
:D

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
You can find Acoustic Research Pro cables at Accessories4Less. Good cables at a good price (just in case you can't find everything you need locally).
I'd beware of the Radio Shack optical cables--not built that well in my experience. And pricey.

GaryAR

Agent
Harv-

what you need is the advanced audio/video pack for the xbox. it'll run you $30, and it has component & spdif (optical) outputs. if you have a decent sound system & tv, it's a must-have xbox accessory.

note: if you already have this pack, the spdif output is under a little hinge-style trapdoor next to the standard rca audio jacks.

-gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks