What's new

New member and first time HT attempt (1 Viewer)

c_d

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad
Hello everyone. I am new to this board and so far I have found a lot of info here already. I have just purchased a lot (for me) equipment but have yet to recieve and install.
Denon 3808
Infinity ts4000 (6sats, 1center, and sub)
Panasonic - TH-58PZ750U 58INCH 1080 p
Studiotech Performance PS-6
Monster HTFS 1000 FlatScreen PowerCenter
MP HTS 2600 MKII 10OUT.
PS3

I am installing in a closet and I am afraid of the heat as there will be a laptop in there as well. I am looking at the HiFlo Vent System to pull warm air out of the closet. Any better/less expensive suggestions? It looks like 2 fans with a grill on it for 160!!

As far as the cable my plan is to or from Blue Jean cable. His claim is that you can run a 1080p up to 125' with the HDMI Cable, BJC Series-1 Belden Bonded-Pair. Any thought on that? My plan is to run a short piece from the Denon to a wall plate. 40-45' piece under the house and through a wall to the back of another wall plate. From that wall plate to the TV. I will also be running a 15 pc cable to the TV as well with the same type of run as the HDMI.

Im also planning on purchasing his BJC "Ten White" Speaker Cable to run through the wall. I want to hook into a faceplate in the closet and run from the face place to reciever for a clean look.

The speakers will be run as 7.1 and mounted with the flush mounted kits (50$$$$ a piece!!) I thought about the center channel as I was typing this and I believe there will not be enough room between the 2x4's to mount horizontal under the tv. Usually 16" apart correct?? Uh oh!

My last comment /question is how to get power to the TV. there is currently no AC outlet above the not used fireplace. I have heard of people running indoor outdoor extension cables through the wall. Should I just get an outlet installed. I did purchase the Monster HTFS 1000 FlatScreen PowerCenter.

I know this was a long post but trying to get through this alone would not be fun. I will post pics as the project continues and please if anyone could help with any suggestions that would be awesome. Thanks for reading this far!

Chad

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That sounds like you are breaking all kinds of building codes. If you happen to burn your house down, the insurance company could use that in refusing to pay any claims. You or a profession should install the appropriate outlet.

-Robert

c_d

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad
well I have layed out the design for the TV and the speakers. It is going to be a little tight and it looks like the only way to get everything recessed is to build the wall out or make a false wall. That would mean an overhaul of the fireplace as well.

I order the power source from power bridge. Thanks for the info.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to recess the speakers please let me know. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out something.

c_d

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad
Pictures of the fireplace. THe studs are 16" apart so no room for TSS Center and the L/R speakers will have a stud behind them as well.

Help@!

BrianStone

Grip
Real Name
Brian Stone
Very nice, Chad. A little high for my taste, but it'll look great!

I've taken the liberty to overlay a frame on your photograph. I'm not sure what the building code is for a "nook", but it's probably the same as a window.

I have no idea where your studs are, so I just made some very rough guesses based on what I can see. Depending on their actual locations, you might have to modify this frame plan to take advantage of them.

I believe that you are required by code to use two 2x6 boards nailed together to create the 4x6 header boards that will carry the crippled studs over the frame. But, don't take my word for that. I've only done a couple window framing jobs. You'll definitely want to head down to your local lumber yard and get a book that explains how to build this kind of frame. Also, draw up a measured framing plan and take it down to the lumber yard with you. There's bound to be a carpenter down there who can give you his opinion and some useful advice.

The drawing that I've attached should speak for itself, for the most part. The purple boards represent the rough frame that you'll build into the wall. The blue and yellow frames would be constructed on the ground and then installed with screws and shims to create a perfectly square frame. They should be designed to fit snuggly around the components with about 1/8" tolerance on each side to allow for expansion and contraction.

Anyway, it's not expert advice by any means, but I hope it helps. Good luck with the project!

c_d

Auditioning
Real Name
Chad
Brian, thanks you soooo much for the post. It has helped me visulaize what I am trying to get accomplished. The studs are exactly as you depicted on the drawing.

I think I am going to pull the fireplace mantel and surround out and re-tile.

OBTW, my wife just about fainted when she came home and saw the hole in the wall!!

BrianStone

Grip
Real Name
Brian Stone

Chad! You broke the first law of home improvement... Always get your wife's permission before you start! :thumbsdown:

But, you bravely adhered to the second law of home improvement... If your wife isn't immediately available for comment, then ignore the first law. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks