What's new

First post center channel advice (1 Viewer)

Lou Grasek

Grip
Hello

I am just starting to build my HT. I will eventually have a 32 - 43 HDTV. My dillemma for now is which center channel speaker to buy YAMAHA NS-AC40X or JBL N Center ii. I will have Advent Legacy II for FRight and FLeft, JBL N24 II for rear surrond and SONY WM 40 for sub. The Yamaha is timbre adjustable. I have not decided on a reciever yet, I ordered a JVC XV SA70B. My budget will allow for 2000 for the TV but not until Christmas. Any comments will be carefully considered, I would like to do this once.

Lou

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Yamaha is not a great center, IMO. Very poorly made, which yeilds it's low price. For the price, the JBL is not bad at all, however it will not likely match your mains, and that is fairly important. Eventhough the Yamaha is "timbre adjustable" it will also not likely match well.

Lou Grasek

Grip
Would it be better to put the Advents in the back and use the matching JBL's N24's in the front with the JBL center. I have not purchased any thing yet except of course the old Advents.

Lou

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, I would match the front three. If you are looking at the N24s, which are not bad at all, you should take a look at the NSP-1 set, which includes 4 N24s and an N-Center for $250 at J & R, also available at Best Buy for the same price, I believe. It's not a bad little setup for the price. If you are buying them separately, I would say N26s up front would be better.
It's not as critical to match your rears to your mains, though I certainly recommend it. However, depending on how different the Advents sound, and how critical you are, you could most likely get away with them as rears.

Lou Grasek

Grip
Good idea I will get the 26's for the front. The Advents are left over from the 1990 CD only set up I had. I wish I could use the ONKYO TX-844 but it is 2-channel only. It does have an optical output and input for a digital video device, I think it was a tape of some kind.

Thanks
Lou

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks