What's new

first karaoke, now killer dogs (long & graphic) (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I would talk to the Animal COntrol, not the police. The police probabaly feel like they have "better things to do", but Animal Control deals with this kind of stuff all the time.

What did the HOA say when you contacted them?

/Mike

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
What about a webcam? Would it be possible to set one in the front of the house and have it record everything that goes on? Then later, if I saw a loose pitbull in the video recorded on my pc, could I save that portion, burn it to CD, and give it to the police?
This would be fairly easy to do, if your computer desk is close to a window that faces where the dogs are most likely to run (or, if it isn't, there are usually extention cables, but they will raise the price). Webcams have gotten fairly cheap, and there is software available (I-Catcher is one that I was just playing with) that gives you a lot of options for controlling the cam, including motion detection (so that it's only activated when there's something going on) and masking (so, say, if the cam is pointed at their yard and the street, you can set a mask over the street so that cars driving by won't trigger the motion detection). Combine that with a simple app (which I haven't explored, but there must be one out there) to save the resutling images as a movie file, and you'd have your evidence (especially if you set the software to include a date/timestamp on each image).
Whatever you end up doing, good luck! I'm not a dog person myself, and 'normal'-size dogs make me extremely nervous, after having had a rott and a doberman come after me at different points. I would not want to be in your situation, and wish you the best.

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
The HOA only sends letters - they claim that's all they can do. The services company doesn't really do anything, even though they get paid to enforce deed restrictions. One option I've seriously considered, given the numerous other, albeit less serious problems, is to write down all the problems, make copies, and hand them out to potential home buyers at the builder's model home. That might bring faster results, and it's a nice safe distance from the pitbull.

I don't live in Houston city limits. I've heard so many people say that Marvin Zindler should be called in response to so many problems, that he's probably overwhelmed.

Also, Animal Control are technically police officers, but most only work M-F. On the weekends, the sheriff's office has to take the call and they are less likely to make an unleashed dog a high priority. Hence, the necessity for pictures.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Even just hooking up a camera to a VCR might get you the evidence that you need.

I am totally against firearms but not a supersoaker. Filled up with some liquid soap, of course.

Glenn

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Along with Animal Control, call your local Humane Society office.

I imagine it varies, but out here, they will go to bat for you. They have been involved here when a child was attacked by a loose dog. They also get involved during cases of animal abuse.

A dog that has already killed a neighbor's cat is bad news. Make that neighbor your ally (talk to her, ask for her help).

I also wonder if you can get dog repellant for the lawn? Some sort of noxious chemical (that's not harmful to people) that would help keep dogs away.

I don't know anything about gun laws; if you go that route, make sure you know the local and state laws, and heed them. A baseball bat might be effective and less dangerous to loved ones.

As for recording incidents: I'd think a standard video camera would be the simplest. You can set it up on a tripod, looking out the window. On the slowest setting it should have a six-hour record time. You could start it when you leave for work, and get the morning and maybe early afternoon. The image quality may be better than using a webcam device.

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
I don't dare contact the neighbor - that would involve crossing the street and getting very close to that pitbull's backyard.
I'll call the Humane Society at lunch. And I already own a supersoaker. Now to put some antibacterial soap in it.
That would buy me enough time to get back into the house if I'm working with my roses in the front yard. :emoji_thumbsup:

Julie K

Screenwriter
A supersoaker with soap would not be very effective. If you go that route, instead of a firearm (my first choice) or a good sharp knife (my second choice), I'd load that thing up with a capsaicin solution. Better yet, why not just get a commercial pepper spray? Get something designed for use against bears. But remember that it's not as effective as many people would like to believe and it must be used at a very close distance. However, it's a lot better than soap.

Having said all that, though, I'd be more worried about the neighbors than the dogs. Their "looking" at you is bad news.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
First, I would advise against the webcam. Those things are ususally so blurry when capturing distant images that I doubt it would convince anyone that a dog was loose, let alone identify the dog as your neighbors.

I would strongly recommend against the Supersoaker or baseball bat solution. The supersoaker will not stop a dog determined to attack, and a baseball bat (much like a knife) requires contact to use. If you've ever seen a dog attack someone (police dogs on TV, etc) you know there isn't time to swing the bat to drive off the dog, and if there is more than one, you have no chance.

The reason I would recommend a firearm is it gives you a viable means of stopping the animal at all costs; a viable method of warning them; and I guarantee your neighbors may stop leering if the next time their dog strays into your yard you come out with a gun. These dogs do not attack to hurt or maim; they attack to kill.

And I would call local news stations and report there is a dangerous dog that has killed neighborhood pets. They may at least be able to suggest some legal recourse towards the owner, and probably the homeowners association. You aren't paying them $2K a year for them just to check lawns, you're paying them to ensure the quality of the neighborhood and to protect property value.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Julie: Wouldn't a sharp knife put her in just as dangerous a situation as no knife? The dog will still be able to do a lot of damage before being overcome. Or so it seems to me. The less involvement with those people and their dogs the better. Surely there must be some sort of legal solution. Thus, legal advice seems of paramount importance here. JB

Julie K

Screenwriter
I agree that legal action is the best, however that is going to take time. In the meantime the danger is still present.

The knife is a very poor second choice, I'll admit, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend to all. It is better, however, than nothing at all in the case of attack. I chose that option once when a mean dog moved in next door. (Open carry of a firearm is not an option here.) However, I chose that knowing full well that if attacked I would likely have to feed my left arm to the dog while my right arm was inflicting as much damage as possible with the knife in order to drive the dog off. This may not be the right choice for all, but I'll not be intimidated off my lawn.

There are two issues here: prevention of attack and planning for an attack if prevention fails. Prevention, of course, must come from law enforcement or animal control. That really is the best option and I would daily call both agencies and really make a pest of myself.

Unfortunately, planning what to do in case of an attack must also be considered. It will take time for the police or animal control to contain the situation and you can't stay indoors forever. That is where the choice of firearm, knife, pepper spray, or (please no) supersoaker with soap comes into play. This is a highly personal decision.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you are really concerned about the dog(s) attacking you, then maybe you can find a self-defense course. I believe police are trained in how to deal with dog attacks; perhaps there is something like that available to the public. That may also help ease your anxiety while working on dealing with the larger problem (of getting the professionals to fix this problem)

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
I just had a very enlightening conversation with our local constable (we have sheriffs and constables - it must be a Texas thing). Apparently the county is confused about my subdivision and has been sending the calls to the sheriff patrols in charge of a whole different subdivision. Also, loose dogs are very very very low on the priority list. He recommended that I call his office from now on, but to explicitly tell them not to confuse my subdivision with the other subdivision (who has a contract for a specific Sheriff's patrol).

Better yet, we homeowners can go around the HOA and builders and get additional constable patrols from the water district if we pay an extra $6 on our water bills. This might be worth looking into (this vicious dog is only one of a series of problems with this area).

He also recommended contacting the people who own the deceased cat and asking them to help me file a complaint with a Judge who can subpoena the dog owners into court and ask for an explanation for their dog getting loose and attacking other cats and dogs. I guess I'll go buy some doggie mace and start asking people up and down the street for some help.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I second the choice for dog mace. Get some that has a long range so you can hopefully hit any aggressive pooches before they get too close.

I understand that many people think a gun or more "traditional" weapon would be a good choice, but I really have to disagree. I fully support gun owners, but if you have never shot/carried a gun before you should have some serious training before putting yourself in the situation described here.

I spent a lot of time growing up using firearms on a range, but I would not trust myself to carry a weapon outside in self defense without specific training. Punching holes in a paper target is totally different situation than threat assement/safe but fast drawing of a weapon/aiming underpressure.

Get some mace to carry with you, keep your cats inside, and try to get some evidence. Go the legal route, and get your neighbors to join in.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Theresa - I am the pres of our HOA - do yourself a favor and go around them. It is a joke how much little legal power they have. If you get a few people willing to pay the extra 6.00 on the water bill, then approach the HOA and inform them what you're doing. They should provide support from the rest of the community (but yours seems pretty wacky).

Good Luck, my thoughts/prayers are with you.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
There have been a lot of suggestions made - but whatever you do you will still have nasty neighbors across the street. If they think you are behind them losing their dogs or having police visits they may find some other way to get back at you.

I think all you can do is move (unless, of course, they do).

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Using firearms in a neighborhood is never a good idea especially something than can inflict as much collateral damage as a shotgun.

But in some cases, brute force is the ONLY answer and if the authorities don't do something, you may have to.

If a neighbor dog killed one of my cats or attacked my wife, you can be sure the dog would end in land fill (and not in one piece).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks