first karaoke, now killer dogs (long & graphic)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CapnSharpe, Feb 24, 2002.

1. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

As some of you may recall, I live across the street from a large group of people who enjoy screaming into a karaoke machine pointed directly at my house, at around 75dbs. During the past 6 months, the police have twice arrested some of occupants, at about 6:45 am, usually with the assistance of roughly 2 to 6 (yes 6) police officers.
    Last week the cops called me, asking if I knew anything about this neighbor. The deputy told me that they have had an unusual number of complaints about criminal activity at the house. Silly me was only calling to complain about the karaoke.
    Yesterday morning I was edging my lawn when one of the folks who lives or visits there drove up in his truck. He and a friend got of the truck, holding their beer cans, and letting their two very very large dogs out. They kept staring at me [​IMG] but I kept edging the lawn. Well one of the dogs began to walk across the street, coming straight for me. I yelled at it to get away and swung the weed wacker around, preparing to use it against this very very large dog.
    Now don't get me wrong - although I am a cat person, I love dogs. I have helped 3 different owners on my street get their 3 run away dogs back (I keep a box of dog biscuits in the garage for some cute yippy dogs in the backyard of the house to my right). These just aren't normal dogs. There's something dangerous about them.
    One of the beer guzzling rednecks calls the dog back.
    A few minutes later I heard a dog screaming bloody murder - the two dogs from the pickup had attacked some pitbull and were CALMLY pulling the dogs apart. I yelped out a "jesus christ" and they turned around and looked at me as if in a panic!!
    I found out today that the people across the street own the pitbull. The pitbull frequently escapes. It has already torn a cat to shreds. This morning it again escaped and began threatening a harmless but loose dog who lives down the street.
    I also found out this morning that the pull tore apart a neighbor's cat, leaving it's PIECES in their own front yard.
    I'm afraid to go out in my front yard anymore. The cops won't help. The HOA could care less - they are more concerned with the appearance of my lawn than with mine or anyone else's safety.
    I am seriously considering purchasing a handgun to protect myself and my indoor cats, especially when I'm in the front yard. I can't hit the side of a barn playing lazer tag. My friends think I should start screaming at the cops for their laziness.
    Am I missing a fourth option?

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Don't get a handgun, get a shotgun. I am the first person to say that harming an animal is wrong, but if that animal is bent on causing damage or death to any other animal or human it must be put down. A shotgun is much easier to use (and is good for someone with poor accuracy, as you stated) and more affordable. Make sure that you lock the gun away when not in use, and take a training course. A .410 gauge should work well. If it comes down to it, I would probably fire the gun once into the ground before turning it on the dogs; chances are they will leave after the warning.

I would call animal control and let them know the situation, especially that the animals have attacked other peoples pets. Most states require that violent animals be destroyed if they have attacked others. They may also fine the people who let the animals out.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

How about Animal Control? That pitbull presents a danger not only to you, but small children. I'm surprised more parents haven't lodged a formal complaint about the loose pitbull? What's it going to take? A child getting mauled by the pitbull on the loose? I hope not!

4. CapnSharpe

I just realized I may not have explained myself clearly. There are actually three dogs that are a problem. Not just the pitbull. The dog that tried to investigate me was some kind of a german shepard mutt. There were two like that and they attacked the dangerous pitbull! This morning the pitbull went after the harmless dog in the front yard of his own house, but very close to the street.

I'm not sure which neighbor lost the cat, but if it's who I think it is (there's only one real outdoor cat owner near here), well, they have two very small children.

I just keep having thoughts of that woman in San Francisco going through my head. I will not end up like her.

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Theresa,

Do whatever it takes to get those dogs taken away. Just last week, a young girl was attacked and killed by a group of 5 pitbulls while she was visiting her friends house. It's insane. If these dogs are escaping and killing neighborhood pets, it is only a matter of time until they attack one of the children. I wish some people would get a f*cking clue and realize that viscious dogs and children should never be within 10 miles of each other. Your neighbors might be able to fool themselves into believing their dogs are ok, but you know the truth. Talk with your other neighbors who have lost pets to these monsters and take your case to Animal Services.

Bruce

6. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I say shoot that dog if it goes for you. Carry that gun around as if it were apart of your body!

7. JamesMH

JamesMH Stunt Coordinator

Post Deleted By Administrator-Do Not Repost

8. CapnSharpe

I had an interesting phone conversation with the sheriff's department. Apparently Animal Control works primarily weekdays. I'll have to call the sheriff on the weekends. He said part of the problem is that by the time they get to our neighborhood, there are no dogs. He told me to start taking pictures everytime any of these dogs get loose, so they will have proof and can start taking action. Worst case scenario, I could ask a judge to put a restraining order on the neighbors, preventing them from having dogs. Somehow that doesn't sound effective.

Guess I'll try this before buying a gun. I'm not still going out in my frontyard. If the HOA wants my frontyard to look pretty, then they had better do it themselves.

9. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Post Edited By Administrator
    I'm a dog lover (and closet cat lover) but if an animal is hellbent on hurting me or a loved one, then it is going to lose. Keep in mind a dog is unlike any human. Watch some of those cop shows. There will be a guy surrounded by 10 officers with guns drawn and the guy will be running, or trying to plea with them. But if they let that dog loose, that guy hits the ground because he knows, there is no chatting with a dog, no negotiations at all!
    I'm against guns (don't want to hear it) but if you do get a gun at least get some sort of training (or at the very least good pointers from a friend). If the animals can be found to have hurt other animals, they will be taken away.
    Good luck,
    Jon

10. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I'm always shocked when I see the big black letters - Edited by Administrator.

Now, I'm a team player and while I see the folly of my ways, I will admit that there are other posts which advocate shooting the animal. They go into less detail, but I dare say if the post had read.

"When you get your handgun just point and shoot"

Would the post have stayed?

Just curious.

Jon

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Jon,

You advocated poisoning an animal which to me crossed the line. Depending on future postings, this thread might be doom anyhow.

Crawdaddy

12. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Ok so, harming the animal is in but with some restrictions.

Well, as I said, I'm a team player.

I can't really accept that, but its your board and I enjoy it so I'll just stay quiet.

Jon

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Jon,

If you can't tell the difference in what you've said about openly poisoning the dog versus what others have said about shooting the dog if attacked then I'm sorry.

Crawdaddy

14. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I encourage a pro-active response, in whatever form you can imagine that to be! By the time it comes after you...could be too late. I mean..you HAVE to be able to be in a position/stance respond..and these dogs are QUICK!

15. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

If this were me I would:

Make sure my cats were INDOORS all the time, and that my fence was sturdy enough to keep other people's dogs OUT. Privacy type fences are better than chain link: just last week I sewed the nose of a pitbull back together after he was "fence-fighting" 2 other dogs through chain-link.

Call animal control and the sheriff and make a formal complaint. Get out my elcheapo camcorder and film the dogs running loose. In most places, running loose is sufficient to have the dogs picked up.

I would carry a big stick, not a gun. In most places, discharging a firearm in the city will get you a visit to the pokey. I have discouraged big dogs who wanted to attack my dogs by THWAKING them hard in the ribs with a mattock handle. This will not work if there are more than one.

Unfortunately, if you get too proactive in this, the "bad folks" will likely come after you, your pets, or your property. Your only hope for a good outcome is to get the law involved, and a court order prohibiting these maroons from having dogs.

16. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

THERESA, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE SERIOUSNESS OF YOUR SITUATION. USE ALL MEANS TO FIX IT ASAP.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    If I were in your position, I would be devoting 100% of my available time to all legal means of resolving this. Do not rely on your preventive measures. One slip and you could be in big trouble. I don't want to read about you in the newspapers!!
    In some cases of vicious dogs, it's been discovered that the people have been training the dogs to be vicious guard dogs or attack dogs. It is possible that your neighbors are purposely bringing danger to your street.

17. CapnSharpe

What about a webcam? Would it be possible to set one in the front of the house and have it record everything that goes on? Then later, if I saw a loose pitbull in the video recorded on my pc, could I save that portion, burn it to CD, and give it to the police?

I seriously doubt I'll just happen to catch this thing loose on camera next weekend. In the meantime, the danger is still there.

Denward - I suspect these dogs were trained to attack other dogs.

Julian - I've been afraid of reprisals since I started calling the cops and HOA about their karaoke machine. I continuing placing my faith in ADT. If the house gets vandalized, then the HOA can eat the bill (they aren't doing anything to help).

I have two cats and both stay indoors. There are numerous stray cats near my house. There are two very small yippy dogs to the left of my house. They are always in their backyard and make a great early warning system (when my cats aren't sitting in a window teasing them). They only got out once and I doggy-napped until their owners came home. :b

The itty bitty backyard (3-4 feet wide) has the same 6 foot high fence everyone is required to have. The fences are not sturdy and would not withstand even a miniture poodle.

18. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

As a dog lover, I find this situation very distressing. I hate the thought of one of those dogs having to be put down. At the same time, I do not want to see any people, especially children, savaged by these animals. I really have to wonder about the owners of the dogs in question. I have some choice words with which to describe them, but I'll refrain. Don't want to make any sailors blush.

19. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Are the police not taking any action based on the usual thing they say--that is, something must happen before they can do anything? Even humans who are being stalked by other humans run into frustration when attempting to get police protection.

But the mere fact of them leering at you--as told in your first post--would make me want to do something. These people are trouble all around.

Do you have any means of obtaining legal advice about your situation?

Most of, please be careful. And always keep those beloved cats indoors.

20. CapnSharpe

The police have to see the dog(s) running loose or have other evidence that the dog(s) are vicious - like attacking a cat. These people apparently get the dog(s) out of the neighbor as soon as they misbehave. Even if something happens, unless everyone in the neighborhood runs out into their cars and blocks every means of escape - or we get video or pictures to use an evidence - there won't be much the cops can do.

These people have stared at me from day one. They never looked at me the way they did Saturday morning. I saw something I wasn't supposed to see (i.e., a dog fight).

I sent an e-mail to friend (former Houston lawyer), but he's probably too busy to get back to me quickly. I may swing by a pawn shop, depending on when I get out of the office (rush hour may not make it feasible for me to get there before they close).