What's new

First Dreamcast Import purchase... (1 Viewer)

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Whew,
I just dropped $150 on 3 DC imports plus the mod chip found on www.ncsx.com. I got Rez, Headhunter, and Shenmue II. I just couldn't resist - these games look to be the cream of the crop for the dying gasps of Sega's console. Let me pose this question though...what are everybody's opinions of the games I ordered? I know about Shenmue II already, but what is the general consensus on Headhunter and Rez?
Please only post if you have played it...none of this "well Rez is supposed to be like Tron so it must suck". Also, I would love some input regarding the mod chip and how well it works for the European imports as well as potential complications with the installation. Thanks
Jason

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The mod isn't too hard. If you bought your system before November 2000, you can just use a boot disk instead. that's what I do

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Sorry if this is a dumb question - but Jeff - where did your boot disc come from? Is it something you made yourself, or bought from some mod shop?

Thanks.

Bleddyn

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I was one of the vultures that came into the fray last month when the DC dropped to $50. I am weary of the boot disks and the gameshark stuff...I have heard they do not work on all games, and well there goes my $10. Do it right the first time. Any problems with compatibility, expecially with the NTSC games?

Jason

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I use the Utopia disk, and I've had zero problems running import software - I've got a nice pile of UK & Jap disks, with more to come.

Head Hunter is fun - it's not perfect, but it looks good, the presentation is wonderful & it's got a good feel to it. The introductory sections are a little slow, but once you get let loose on your first *real* mission (Not Grey Wolf) it gets a LOT better. I'm enjoying it, but haven't had time to play it much lately.

It's certainly worth getting hold of, and is likely to be hard to find in the time to come - it's not sold a lot in the UK.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
i'll have to try rez with a mouse.. btw, if you have the gameshark cd you can use that to play import games by just choosing 'start game without codes'.... headhunter was pretty kewl but my dc just isnt getting any play since i got a gcn..

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You can download it for free. Just search for Utopia Boot Loader for Dreamcast. A Gameshark also works, but that's $50. If you have Nero, contact me privately and I can send you the disc image.

I've never had a problem booting a game with Utopia, Shenmue 2, Dance Dance Revolution, Capcom vs SNK or Samba de Amigo 2001

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks, Jeff.
I don't actually know what Nero is - but I'm sure I can find Utopia online.
Cheers.
Bleddyn;)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Rez is an awesome game IMHO... but its one of those cult games (like JGR for instance) where you love it or hate it...

This game MUST be played on a stereo system with a subwoofer, and in a dark room. Playing it is a giant orgasmic experience.. well not that intense, but it does dazzle your sense of Sight, Touch, and Sound.

Sight - Though the graphics are kinda simple, its not. THe multitude of colors, the pattersn, everything in the graphics are awesome and unique.

Touch - If you got a rumble pack, you're lucky! Wait until you get into the later layers, then watch it rumble to the beat of the music. great, truly absorbs you into the whole game

Sound - The music, oh the music. Im not the biggest techno fan ever, far from it, but the music combined with the action, sights, and vibes just brings it all together soo well.

Rez is awesome... :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks