Shenmue 2 import?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MathewM, Nov 23, 2001.

1. MathewM

MathewM Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone give me the heads up on the european Shenmue 2? I'd like to import it, considering that I don't want to wait a year and spend $300 for an xbox to play it. First off is there an english traslation? I'd play it if it only had subtitles. Second where would I purchase the import? Third, what do I need to play it on an american dreamcast?

Any help appreciated,

mat.

2. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

The Euro version was just released and is subtitled in english. The game also has the option of running in 60hz for us NTSC users. You will need a modified Dreamcast that plays imports or you can use the "boot disc" swap method. A company called Blaze makes one called DC-X and can be purchased through Lik-Sang or you can search the internet on how to make your own boot cd. As for Shenmue II, I ordered mine through NCS for $49.

3. MathewM

I checked out NCS but found no mention of the european version. They have the japanese, but with the 'no subtitles' disclaimer. Do I need to call them?

Too bad I can't read japanese, so many of the games that were never released over here sound interesting, plus their packaging is so much cooler.

4. MathewM

I forgot to ask. Will the european version allow me to use the VGA box? That is my preferred way of playing.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Yes, the European version of Shen Mue 2 has English subtitles, and also has the option of using the VGA Box.

If you're looking for it on NCS, have a look under their 'upcoming Dreamcast releases' section - it's technically not out in Europe until next week so is still a pre-order. A lot of retailers have broken the street date though.

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

7. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Why get a game shark? Ill hook anyone up with the bootdisk, if you dont have a burner.

8. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Concerning the reply about a modded dreamcast,i have the japanese dreamcast modded to play american games.Would that do the trick,or would playing shenmue 2 (europe version) require a different mod? Just wondering.

9. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I know that the mod chips sold on NCS enables any Dreamcast (USA, EUR, JPN) to play DC software from any of the other territories. You should be OK.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Who else is sending Sega a nice picture of themselves holding the UK copy and giving the finger?

I'm still a Sega loyalist, but all their apologies in the world will not make up for the screwing

11. MathewM

I was too late, NCS is sold out. What other online retailer can I trust to order from?

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

If you're willing to order directly from the UK, and there's no reason not to, I'd suggest Gameplay. They're the biggest independent online game retailer and friends use them regularly. They'll ship directly to you in the USA & accept Visa, Mastercard etc.
    Also a good chance to pick up Head Hunter, Stunt GP or the other European only DC games [​IMG]

13. MathewM

Brian,

I just tried Gameplay's website. Everything was great until the billing page, it kept screwing up my shipping address. How did your friends do with ordering from them? I gave up after several tries to get it right. Perhaps I'll just try emailing them and find out.

Headhunter does look cool, is it now coming out for the xbox or something?

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

15. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Shenmue 2 is here! [​IMG]
    Now, I need to find the message that someone (Jeff K?) wrote about how to convert my US Shenmue I save file to something readable by Shenmue 2...