What's new

First diy sub ?s (1 Viewer)

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I already have an enclosure. The external dimensions are length or depth 24"

width 15"

height 17"

It has a vent at the top that is 15" wide and 1 1/2" tall. I was thinking of using a Titanic or a Shiva with a 250 watt plate amp. Will this work? I am looking to use this 80% music and 20% home theater. Thanks.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
it can be done. a lil small but hey, this is diy. or you can seal up the vent and get .55 qtc (depending on how long that vent is and how much volume it take up). or keep the vent. do you have tools and any woodworking exp, mdf is $15.
so...
1st thing is: how deep inside the box does the vent go? really need to know that if you choose to seal it off or keep it.
(wild guess: i say 18") :)
oh ya, how thick is the material of the box itself?

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
The vent goes 6" into the box at the top and can't be removed because the internal bracing is mounted to it. it could be stuffed or covered though. I've done some more looking and the Parts Express Dayton and 250 watt plate amp look like a better combo to use with my boxes dimensions. Am I getting on the right track yet? I'll be building one from the ground up next unless this becomes a total failure. I figured I'd start with an existing enclosure since I already have one anyway. One more question, if I use the PE amp should I have the bass boost deactivated like SVS suggests?

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
heya bobby,

ya you're on the right track. probably easier all around to just seal and stuff it. while at PE get a couple of bags of stuffing too. they have 5lb bags too. 2-3lbs should suffice though. experiment with how much you stuff it. that port tunes the box like at 45hz. 6" deep huh? i guess i wont be going to the riverboats. bass boost, i dunno, you might want some boost with this one, only you can say. maybe someone else here can help out more, or try the PE boards. even if it is a total failure you still have a nice driver and amp to build on. hell, my GF uses an old box i built as a combo patio endtable/charcoal storage bin, no lie, heh.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
PE acousta-stuf is expensive.

I went to a local fabric store and bought 4lbs of 100% polyester fiber. It was only $2.49 per bag.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
hi bobby,

that works. can you fit a 4"x16" port in there somewhere? using the titanic12"er looks sweet like that. ought to be good on music and HT.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
The vent is located directly over the area where the driver is mounted. I can seal the vent and put a port in the opposite end of the box. How critical is port placement?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks