finished a speakerpage center channel today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

overall I'm impressed!
    I got the cabinets pre cut and assembled, glued, screwed, and caulked.
    it's a little bright for my liking but I'll see what I can do about that [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    YES I KNOW MY SCREWS AREN'T EVEN :b
    [​IMG]

2. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

Nice work! I'd be interested in knowing what you think of them after you get them broken in and used to the sound... I'll be in the market for a new center channel very soon.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

so far I'm impressed!
    I think the only thing I'd do is replace the SCH woofers with a vifa they offer on their site now.. not for lack of performance, just to have ALL vifa drivers.
    again the only complaint is a little too much tweeter, but maybe I just need to back off the treble.
    I calibrated it with my rat shack SPL and it was already right there, a little fine adjustment and it blends in with my acoustic research mains really nicely.
    it's tough to evaluate it hooked up as a center channel though. Maybe in a few days I'll hook it up as a main and run some music through it out of curiousity [​IMG]
    the quality of their precut cabinets is GREAT for not a lot more I got all the parts pre-cut, all the datos cut, and the routing around the drivers to recess them. MUCH better than I could do, even if I had the tools.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Philip,

I imagine the tweeter will calm down a bit after you get a few hours time into the speaker. Even my Emeralds were a bit raspy sounding when I first finished them.

Brian

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Yeah! I hadn't thought of that, even after just one DVD it's much much smoother [​IMG]

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Congrats, Phillip. We weren't even considering commenting on your uneven screwing [​IMG] If you're into such things, you could replace the series tweeter capacitor. I used one of the expensive boutique types (no, I won't admit the price and the SCH guys laugh at me). However, give it some time - I bet it will be fine. Also, give those proprietary mid-woofs a decent chance - they are really nice for the price. BTW, the second picture is dark - I can't see what finish you used.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

no finish, that's the cloth tube [​IMG]

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I was just watching moulin rouge, and noticed how happy I've been with this cneter now that I've had it about a month. I hope they get some drivers back in stock soon. Awesome deal for the $`

9. Ben Yang

Ben Yang Extra

Congrats,
    That was the only speaker I didn't build. I had them build it. You will be very pleased with the cc once it has some hours on it. I have the towers and they match nicely.
    They are going to issue an update on the towers soon, with a different tweeter.
    Overall, Speakerpage is an amazing bargain and sound great, IMO.
    Enjoy,
    Ben
    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~wpsg/

10. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Glad they have broken in okay for you! Yes, SCH is the best value in kits I've seen. The mid-woof won't be back, but they have a new one and say its midrange is even better. Also, new main and center designs are in the works.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Looks sweet. What will you do to tame the brightness? Just curious.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

didn't need to, after a week or so of use it calmed down