What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Finian's Rainbow (1968) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81ySK0Nk-OL._SX522_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've preordered through the link. Normally I'd wait for a sale, but I want to be sure to have this for a St. Paddy's Day screening.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for this release among HTF members, if the number of posts reacting to the Blu's announcement means anything. The film isn't among my favorites, but then, what can compete against MY FAIR LADY and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF and THE SOUND OF MUSIC and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (and at least half of the other MGM titles from the period) and WEST SIDE STORY, etc.? Musicals weren't Coppola's strong suite (as was again demonstrated in ONE FROM THE HEART, which, like RAINBOW, is also quite watchable), but, hey, he managed to make an entertaining film that does have some good performances, choreography, and better-than-mediocre songs. I am happy to see it coming out...what other major studio is continuing to release pre-70's musicals? I love the Archives... something for every one of us. I'd like to see this Blu-ray do well enough to encourage the release of THE HARVEY GIRLS, SEVEN BRIDES, and a handful of remaining classics.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A classic score ("better-than-mediocre"??), and since The Sound of Music is not top-notch R&H, I'd say Finian's score towers over Sound of Music's.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for this release among HTF members, if the number of posts reacting to the Blu's announcement means anything. The film isn't among my favorites, but then, what can compete against MY FAIR LADY and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF and THE SOUND OF MUSIC and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (and at least half of the other MGM titles from the period) and WEST SIDE STORY, etc.? Musicals weren't Coppola's strong suite (as was again demonstrated in ONE FROM THE HEART, which, like RAINBOW, is also quite watchable), but, hey, he managed to make an entertaining film that does have some good performances, choreography, and better-than-mediocre songs. I am happy to see it coming out...what other major studio is continuing to release pre-70's musicals? I love the Archives... something for every one of us. I'd like to see this Blu-ray do well enough to encourage the release of THE HARVEY GIRLS, SEVEN BRIDES, and a handful of remaining classics.
I like the film better than MY FAIR LADY, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Well, I mostly mean by comparison to their stage counterparts. MY FAIR LADY, on stage, is the greatest musical I ever saw. FIDDLER is right up there, as well. I detest MFL on film, and find much of FIDDLER lifeless. SITR is a good movie, and quite enjoyable, but I never got its greatness reputation. So, yes, you're right, diversity DOES make the world go 'round!

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Well, I mostly mean by comparison to their stage counterparts. MY FAIR LADY, on stage, is the greatest musical I ever saw. FIDDLER is right up there, as well. I detest MFL on film, and find much of FIDDLER lifeless. SITR is a good movie, and quite enjoyable, but I never got its greatness reputation. So, yes, you're right, diversity DOES make the world go 'round!

I agree with you that SITR is a good movie.Certainly not my favourite musical. None of the songs were original.I saw FIDDLER ON THE ROOF on Broadway in 1967 with a then mostly unknown, Bette Midler in the cast.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Singin' in the Rain actually had two original songs not culled from the Brown/Freed catalog: "Make 'Em Laugh" (partially culled from the Cole Porter catalog) and "Moses Supposes."

davyblu

Auditioning
Real Name
David Wayne Fox
Very excited about this one...I saw some HD snippets on Vudu and it looks amazing. Now, let's get Goodbye, Mr. Chips, Flower Drum Song, Sweet Charity, Star, Dr. Doolittle and Thoroughly Modern Millie on blu and I'll be in nirvana!

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Very excited about this one...I saw some HD snippets on Vudu and it looks amazing. Now, let's get Goodbye, Mr. Chips, Flower Drum Song, Sweet Charity, Star, Dr. Doolittle and Thoroughly Modern Millie on blu and I'll be in nirvana!

I got Sweet Charity and Dr Dolittle last year on bluray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks