What's new

Finally updated my Theatre site (1 Viewer)

Hello all! It's been a while since I've posted or updated my theatre site (4 months to be exact). It's not that I haven't been working on it, just lazy about updating the progress. I apologize in advance for the quality of the photos, I'm using a digital video camera's photo feature. I'll try to get better pictures ASAP. You can still see that I've done quite a bit.

The updated pictures are on page 6 of the construction photos.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
You've made great progress Randy and it looks wonderful!

Did you do the carpeting yourself, and if so, how hard is it to install carpeting? Did you rent the equipment, such as carpet stretcher?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Randy,
Thanks for the update. It's really coming along quite well. I'll bet you can't wait until it's "showtime!"
:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

EarlR

Stunt Coordinator
Randy

Very nice H/T. What size Stewart will you be installing? I know you will have many hours of enjoyment from the room.

Earl

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Though I have always been quite happy with my very modest HT "room", I still get VERY jealous of rooms like this. I wish I had a full basement that I could do this in.

Nice job indeed!!!!

Thanks for the nice comments. It's nice to share this with people who truly appreciate what goes into building something like this and understand the passion one develops for a "room".

Earl, I plan on installing a 110" screen. It's surprising how well the silver fabric stretched over a 2x4 frame looks. I've put up a sample of the Greyhawk material and it will be absolutely incredible to get it, but this setup will have to do for a couple more months.

Robert, It's been showtime since I was able to plug in a projector and shoot on a bare wall! I'm sure everyone has watched movies along the way during construction. It's like a giant carrot hanging out there making you get it done. It's just much more comfortable now.

Scott, yes I did the carpet myself and it wasn't too hard. I really was hesitant about doing this step more than any other, but I bit the bullet and did it. I rented the stretcher and seam iron and got some helpful tips from the rental store. I only have one seam and it runs underneath the front row. It's pretty much invisible under the lighting I have in there. Overall, I'm really happy with the fact that my hands are the only ones that have built this room.

I think I spend every night down there and I love it. The biggest compliment is when people say they feel like they are out at the movies and forget they are in our house. Just wait until the bar gets done!

Thanks again guys.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm sure everyone has watched movies along the way during construction.
Randy,
Actually, my HT was finished long before my FP arrived. When I completed the construction late in 1999 the Sony VW10HT had not yet been released so I had to make do with my Pionneer Elite RPM for about 6 months. This was probably all to the good since there was no construction dust around when the projector arrived. Dust is a definite enemy of a projector like mine (I've heard some horror stories).
My HT has a very dust-free, controlled air environment and I have had absolutely, and I mean absolutely, no problems relating to dust blobs, etc. In fact, even though I inspect the projector regularly to see if there is any dust build-up near the air intakes (there isn't) I haven't even had to do any routine maintenance in this area and I've got well over 1000 hours on the bulb wit no end in sight. I would imagine that when the time comes to put in a new bulb I'll do some routine maintenance while the case is opened.
But, I understand your situation and, rest assured, I would have been propping the FP up on something if it had been around before the HT was completed. I definitely would not have been able to resist the temptation.
;)

Shajan

Auditioning
Randy, great job! I'm also interested in the bar construction. Please do updates on your website. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks