What's new

Finally - Some Doris Day (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
universal has just announced the release of Lover Come Back with Doris Day and Rock Hudson.
Sadly, we still are not getting any of those great Warner Bros Doris Day musicals in the pipeline. Warners, you are doing so much great stuff with the oldies and George Felstenstein certainly knows his musicals. How about it George? can we get some Doris musicals this coming year?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know what the story is with the Doris Day / Ronald Reagan / Ginger Rogers (I think) film STORM WARNING? I've never seen it. It's never gotten a VHS release and I've never seen it showing on TV.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
And FOX how about giving "MOVE OVER DARLING"
with Doris, James Garner, and Polly Begen
a DVD TREATMENT with extras, like the aborted
film it was renamed from "SOMETHINGS GOT TO
GIVE" with Marilyn Monroe, Dean Martin, and
Cyd Charisse. They saved the script from that
and turned it into "MOVE OVER DARLING", with
Doris and the rest.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
I generally love musicals but I've never rated Doris Day's movies with perhaps one exception. To me most of them are pretty derivative and haven't dated too well. Among the Warner titles the best is probably Calamity Jane which has been available on DVD for a while. Its not a film I really rate despite a cracking score I've always considered it a pale imitation of Annie Get Your Gun.

The one musical Doris made which deserves a mention is the 1955 MGM production Love Me or Leave Me in which she co-starred with James Cagney. In this she played a real life singer Ruth Etting and really showed she could act. It would be great to see that one on DVD. She was good too under the direction of Hitchcock in The Man Who Knew Too Much the following year.

I could live without the rest of her films including her comedies with Rock Hudson though I suppose we should be grateful for new classic releases of any kind from Universal. I'm pleased for the fans of those films and also eager to pick up some of the lesser Monsters' titles in The Monster Legacy sets but please more from your pre-1948 Paramount library Universal !

I hope the rumours about W.C. Fields' titles for instance mean we'll get some of his Paramount 30s' classics soon.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

You & me both. (Great chiller.)

Also awaiting the arrival of "Teacher's Pet", "Julie", and "The Glass-Bottom Boat".

"Mrs. Preston?? .... Over here, Mrs. Preston......" :)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I am very happy that Pillow Talk will finally be getting an anamorphic transfer. This film holds up very well as one of the funniest (and best-written) films of the 1950s. Though I'm not a great fan of either, I think Doris Day and Rock Hudson brought out the best in each other.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just noticed this odd blurb from "DVD Angle" .......

"Pillow Talk is in 2.55:1 widescreen (not 2.35:1 as the packaging states) and the transfer is not anamorphically enhanced. The entire image area of early CinemaScope is preserved at the correct aspect ratio of 2.55:1, before the aspect ratio was modified to 2.35:1. The widescreen image is used to great effect in this film, often splitting the screen into two or three different sections to cover telephone conversations,.....

2.55???
Sure looks like a normal 2.35:1 AR to me. :confused:

"Widescreen Review" claims it's 2.45:1.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
From the Digital Bits:

I will swear that I also read that Pillow Talk will be anamorphic, but despite a lot of searching I can't find that info. Maybe someone with access to such things can post the Universal press release.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Oh, and I forgot about
"PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES"
"DO NOT DISTURB"
"IT HAPPENED TO JANE"
"CAPRICE"
"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT"
"TUNNEL OF LOVE"
And yes, "MIDNIGHT LACE" should be a priority
for UNIVERSAL to get out on DVD.
One of her finest, I think she got a GOLDEN GLOBE
nomination for that one.
Doris should get the HONORARY OSCAR.
SHE IS ONE OF THE BEST ACTRESSES TO COME OUT OF THE
50s and 60s !!!!!!!!Oh, and I forgot about

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH
How widescreen review or dvd angle or anyone can claim Pillow Talk is anything wider than 2:35 is absurd.
When Fox released The Robe - most prints were 2:55 and other studios found that just too wide to work with. Almost all other studios went to 2:35 except Fox. When fox went to MagOptical Prints in the middle of 1956 (beginning with Bus Stop) the magop prints were all 2:35. However, Fox would still release its A films in key locaztions with mag only stereo prints in 2:55. Almost all the other majors had already gone to 2:35 and Pillow Tal;kl is certainly a 2:35 film. If we're now getting it in 2:45 or 2:55, then someone at Universal is drunk, probably the same genius that did the framing of Back to the Future for us.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I love Pillow Talk, but it had better be both improved video (hopefully anamorphic) and correct aspect ratio, otherwise no sale.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Jon, I watched Storm Warning a few years ago, on tv.
I enjoyed it a lot, specially Ginger and Doris' performances. It kind of reminded me of A streetcar named desire, maybe because the movie's plot was about a woman (Rogers) that went visiting her younger sister (Day) who was married to a tough guy (Steve Cochran) and then there was some sexual tension between the two. But it isn't a problem because the similarities end here and watching Ginger and Doris is always a pleasure. It's a shame it won't be released on dvd (that's what I heard in the last WB chat).

And I agree that some early Doris Day's vehicles must be released by WB. What about Romance in the High Seas, It's a great feeling, My dream is yours, No no Nannette, Lullaby of Broadway, Young man with a Horn (great movie!!!), West Point Story (we can also see Cagney in here), Lullaby of Broadway, On moonlight bay, By the light of the silvery moon, just to name a few?

I know it's hard for WB to put out all her movie library (WB, MGM, RKO) with the high standards they are used to, but at least we leave here our requests.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
She's 80 now. Columbia (Sony) is supposedly working on a CD box set of her recordings, although Bear Family in Germany released two box sets of all her Columbia recordings many years ago.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just checked my copy of Pillow Talk.
The current non-anamorphic DVD is definitely NOT as wide as 2.55...or even 2.45. (Or, technically, even as wide as 2.35 either.)

Via a lengthy and painstaking process, I've used "geometric logic" to evaluate the DVD's aspect ratio. :D

My exhaustive studies reflect that the current "P. Talk" DVD offers an image ratio of 2.29:1. Accounting for overscan, I'd say this title exhibits approx. a 2.33:1 AR. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Well, surely, if a "new" remastered version is surfacing, they won't be stupid enough to repeat a NON-anamorphic process. Surely not...correct?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Peter Kline - Bear Family released FOUR boxed cD sets of Doris Day Columbia Recordings.
these sets are amazing - each box is LP size and covers X amount of years of Doris career. Each set has seix to ten cds and each set has a hardcover LP size hard cover book with recording session informatioon and photos and posters from the represented years. Awesome!!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

I have a question for you. It appears that the soundtrack for Pillow Talk, which I've been hunting unsuccessfully for many years, is only available on an expensive Bear Family import. It sounds like you might have this. My question is, is the full version of I Need No Atmosphere on there? Because it's just for that one song that I'm after this.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks