What's new

Finally got my 34HFX84 YAY! Now I need help with calibration and small geometry issue (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
I am fired up!

It got here last Friday and I have been so busy I have not had a chance to post for help.

First the geometry issue. It’s minimal. I mean no one in my household, living or visiting, has noticed but it is killing me. It’s in the center of the screen. It is slight but it look like it curves in slightly down in the center like an invisible string is pulling in down. Is there a setting in TV menu to fix this? Went through manual and could not find a way to do it. I did find the tilt correction and that helped. I was a little worried at first but after tilt correction if I can fix this I am good to go! If it cannot be done via the menu who do I call about this? Would the retailer be responsible for sending a tech? Or should I call Toshiba?

Now for calibration. First of all out of the box it’s really nice. Well once you take it off sport setting of course. But just going to movie it’s already wow! So I pulled out my DVE and I am having trouble. I don’t like the picture I am getting in the end. I am having a hard time setting the contract. Whether I use DVE or an old disc I had called Ultimate DVD platinum or even the THX optimizers I can never set it right. It says put up until it bloom then bring down but I can never tell.

I try to watch on movie setting which is not horrible but I can tell brightness is too high. Picture does look a bit washed out and blacks are NOT black. Using different set up disk it does guide me to bring down from 50 (as it is) to somewhere between 32 and 34. However it’s too dark. It’s as if it needs some contrast maybe.

Another thing is I feel it has a bit of a red push. Again using DVE seems color stays untouched and hue/ting barely goes to 6G for the blue and red to look perfect through the filter. However green never looks quite right through filter so left it at that.

I am considering ISF calibration but not yet as I still thinking of getting new player as well as HD through cable provider so will do it then.

In the meantime any suggestions?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Flat tube sets are notorious for having geometry issues. In most cases they are considered to be within factory spec and from your description, it sounds like they will tell you that too.

You can ask ... but prepare for disappointment. These things are not sold as perfect ... and certainly not at this price point.

You might be able to fix it by opening up the TV and moving magnets around ... but that kinda kills the warranty on the TV if it does not kill you while you do it.

Colour filters don't always provide you with the right answers ... they lie sometimes and give bad results.

An ISF guy is not a TV repair guy. Make sure you understand that. For a set like this, the ISF guy will only fix the grayscale ... and little else. No one is going to open up the set.

regards

Rolando

Screenwriter
Thanks mike.

I knew ISF guy was not TV repair but I thought some geometry issue were tackled.

I know they have thousands of dollars in equipment to optimize greyscale and color temp etc and do not open the set. I was under impression that they did access service menu and that there they did adjust that a bit. am I wrong?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

yEs, but the geometry fix you are looking for is not in there. It needs to be physical to make it more perfect.

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks