What's new

final 2 for receivers (1 Viewer)

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
I have made up my mind that I will either get the Denon 1804

or the HK AVR330. I was leaning toward the Denon based on overall reputation and a lot of speaker companies uses the Denon to test their speakers.

That said -I am getting the Infinity TSS750 speakers and a sales guy at CC said that HK and Infinity are the same company and that It might work better with each other and he said that HK is easier to use with user friendly features.

So, out there the experienced users that have had HK or Denon. Which one would you pick?

FYI, I have a Sony 36XBR High Definition Ready TV and I will be mainly watching movies in a 15x13x9 living room.
Specs on the Denon
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jftFmGO...p?i=033AVR1804

specs on the HK 330http://www.authentichometheater.com/harkarav2.html

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Both are solid lower mid level AVRs from good companies. Choose the model that has the features that you think you may need in the next year or so to avoid a quick upgrade bug.

They both are new models with alot going for them. I expect many would choose between the 2 based on the different looks of each since they differ in appearance so much.

Upon looking through the specs I would choose the HK simply due to having all channels with pre-amp outputs. This allows you to add seperate amps in the future. You have all the digital processing that will be needed for 3-4 years, and you can add power if needed. Crutchfield claims 3 preouts for the Denon compared to 8.

DG

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
That is good to know. A friend mention to me that his yamaha has a cool feature which you put a microphone in the middle of the room and it optimized your settings on the receivers automatically. The more I research this the more confuse I get.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
A number of companies have this feature on various models.
Pioneer, Harman Kardon, Yamaha are just a few.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Yamaha has YPAO, Pioneer has MCACC, both with microphones you drag into the room and let it do its thing. H/K has EzSet which is a microphone in the remote next to the IR transmitter. Same thing.

Is it a necessary feature? No. Not if you have an SPL meter and know how to use it properly. Although, the MCACC on my Pioneer Elite as reasonably close, but I still checked and tweaked with my SPL meter. Yes it's "cool" to have it do it for you, but it's redundant if you have an SPL meter.

H/K gets my vote though for superb sound and power (for what it is), and for all channel preouts. Great match for Infinity too, as you said, both are owned by Harman Audio, ensuring good matching. And as for ease of use, the AVR225 that I had was phenomenally easy to use. I think that you'll enjoy it alot, but just to be sure, make sure you audition it at home (if possible).

Good luck!

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
I want to throw this out, how does the Yamaha RX-V1400 compare to those 2 bad boys?

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Yamaha has really made solid units with the 1400 and 2400.
They are flying off the shelves and alot of users on this forum. Do a search for the model and you will see.

DG

Kevin*Ha

Agent
It compares well - so well in fact that it's really in your best interest to listen to all three if you have any opportunity at all to do so. The feature-set on all three are very good (the 1400/2400 are arguably the best), and they will all supply a good amount of power, so it's really a question os personal preference. I've always loved H/K receivers, but Yamaha's are very very nice too.

Brent_j

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased a RX-V2400 and the thing is just rock solid in every aspect. This is my second Yamaha, I upgraded from the RX-V1200 I purchased back in late 2001 after much research on Yamaha, Denon and H/K.
I have been very happy with my Yamaha's.

my .02 cents

Brent Johnson

Kris_Smith

Agent
If you are going to be running the tss750 which is a nice little set up you might not even need the 330....

You could even get by with the 230 or 130....

I personally have the 230 running two alpha 50's in front and some venturis as surround.....They sound great.....

If you are deadset with the 330 or the Denon then pick the HK.....

I would/did/will.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks