What's new

Film Noir Lovers - "Force of Evil" coming on May 11th. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Artisan is releasing the John Garfield/Abraham Polonsky classic Noir Force of Evil on May 11th for $14.95. Great News!

Also, Artisan will be releasing Sidney Lumet's Long Day's Jouney Into Night on the same day for $14.95.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Source please? Considering the company involved, when it comes to the quality of the dvd presentation, I'm hoping for the best.

Crawdaddy

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Interesting quote from Scorsese over at the Laser's Edge listing for Force of Evil. I did not initially see Force of Evil until many years after Raging Bull, but in retrospect the potrayal of the brotherly relationship between Jake and Joey La Motta seems informed ( at least to some degree ) by brothers Joe and Leo in Force of Evil.

Hopefully Artisan will do this great noir justice. Despite owning the LD, I'll probably repurchase this title if the transfer is decent. ( Is a side break elimination enough justification for a repurchase? :) )

- Walter.

TimJS

Second Unit

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Tim - It has been sometime since I watched the LD, but I don't recall any features on the disc. I'll check tonight and if there is anything beyond the film on the disc I'll post back to this thread. Having a Scorsese introduction would be pretty neat on the DVD release.

- Walter.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
I was quite excited to read this announcement until I saw Artisan's named attached.

There is a French DVD of Force of Evil from a company called Wild Side. They've also released Body and Soul , another John Garfield gem.

Both of these discs feature some nice special features, in addition to the films. Multiple screen and menu shots, which are quite impressive, can be accessed on the company's website. The reviews I've seen seem to be very positive (from what I can discern with my mediocre French).

I've been pretty close to purchasing these, the only drawback being that the French subtitles are forced when watching the film with the English-language track.

Artisan's Body and Soul is one of the worst DVDs I've had the misfortune of viewing. What are the odds that their Force of Evil will stack up to the French counterpart?

Jon

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
Oooo! Distant Drums is coming?!? Is this the 1951 Raoul Walsh-directed Warner Bros. film Distant Drums, starring Gary Cooper? That's the VERY first film to use the famous "Wilhelm" scream made famous by Star Wars sound designer Ben Burtt! Most sources claim that the first film to use it is Charge at Feather River, which featured a character named Wilhelm who gets shot in the leg with an arrow and screams(thus the namesake), but in fact, Distant Drums is the very first film to have contained it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

http://www.cityofsound.com/blog/2003...lhelm_scr.html

http://www.roverandom.com/wilhelm.wav

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I looked at the Republic Home Video LD release of Force of Evil last night and the only extra listed on the packaging is a theatrical trailer. I forgot that the LD doesn't have chapter markers, so I suppose that's another reason to repurchase. Too bad Warner Bros. isn't releasing this gem.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks