Film Greats: Federico Fellini’s ‘Nights Of Cabiria’ (1957)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

In Federico Fellini’s Nights of Cabiria, Guilietta Masina (who was also Fellini’s wife) gives a strong, funny and more importantly, a memorable performance as Cabiria - a prostitute in Rome in search of love and improving her life. It is a performance based on the human spirit and a desire to live and persevere much like the film’s title character. Her facial expressions, mannerisms and style says it all.
    Filmed towards the end of the Italian neo-realism period, Fellini’s wonderful film touches on the themes of hope, heartbreak, disillusionment and redemption. More likely than not, its themes mirror life itself in so many ways. His approach is more episodic rather than plot driven.
    Films like Nights of Cabiria are what I would call “timeless classics”. It represents an era in cinema that can be truly considered an artform.
    - - -
    Film Greats – A continuing quick look at motion pictures that, in one way or another, have been called “great films” by some. Other Films In This Series: Sidney Lumet’s 12 Angry Men : Billy Wilder’s The Lost Weekend : Rankin/Bass’ The Year Without A Santa Claus : Jim Sheridan’s My Left Foot
    ~Edwin

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Edwin-
    Agreed. [​IMG] And this serves as a reminder for me to pick up the Criterion DVD (I've been meaning to for years).
    The first time I saw this film was during its revival in the theaters a few years ago. Strangely enough, they mixed the reels, and several scenes were shifted around (the end near the beginning, vice versa). Even more strange, I was not phased by it.
    There are so many little moments in this film that radiate off the screen, like the breathtaking hypnosis sequence.
    Joseph

3. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

This really is a wonderful movie. If the Criterion DVD is still in print then I recommend those of you who are interested to pick it up.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I picked up the Criterion dvd last year. I'd never seen Nights of Cabiria before and I wasn't disappointed. This is one of Fellini's best and Masina was just wonderful in it. Now if we can just get I Vitelloni and La Dolce Vita on dvd, I'd be a happy little camper. Ya listening, Criterion? [​IMG]
    Can't wait for La Strada!

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I have never been a huge fan of Fellini, except I love La Strada. So I wonder if I would also enjoy Nights of Cabiria.

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I love Nights of Cabiria also! It's funny, but can be quite touching at the same time too. Maybe I should watch it again since it's been awhile since I last saw it?

7. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

8. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

9. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Nights of Cabiria has been on Sundance Channel several times over the last few months, but I've missed it each time. I'll make sure that I watch it next time it's on. Thanks for the mini-review.

Steve K.

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Yes it is a wonderful film and performance. I finally got the DVD a couple of months ago but haven't opened it yet. Once Juliet of the Spirits comes out I can have a mini-fest and throw in 8 1/2 as well (my favorite Fellini film).