What's new

Scorsese was really paying a lovely tribute to Federico Fellini and not stir up a controversy about "streaming". (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeStemme

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph
With all the discussion of Scorsese's comments about 'Cinema' and streaming, the main point of his article has been greatly overlooked: FEDERICO FELLINI. The entire piece is a wonderful valentine from one master filmmaker to another. The FULL article is here: https://harpers.org/.../il-maestro-federico-fellini.../
Scorsese eloquently examines both how Fellini developed as a filmmaker as well as how the Maestro still influences him to this day. Of particular note is how Scorsese traces his career from Neo-Realism to the more phantasmagorical Director most know him as today.

My great film schools Professors indulged me in my passion for linking Fellini's Neo-Realist screenplays (including Rossellini's PAISAN and ROME OPEN CITY) to his later work. I have always thought that DE-linking his early period (which also included his own film LA STRADA and I VITELLONI) from his more elaborate later films was too neat a break. To me, Fellini was still exploring the human spirit, but, his later work expanded from dreary day to day life to a person's inner dreams, illusions and psyche. Humans are as much about the subconscious as the conscious - the rational and irrational.

It's a great article. Please read it in full. Grazie, Martin.

Photo: Scorsese, Isabella Rossellini, Fellini.
Not sure who the fourth person is - ID anyone?

Attachments

• Martin-Scorsese-Isabella-Rossellini-and-Federico-Fellini-www.cinematheia.com_.png
    Martin-Scorsese-Isabella-Rossellini-and-Federico-Fellini-www.cinematheia.com_.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 40

JoeStemme

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph
Aren't you the one who started a thread expressly ABOUT the "controversy"? :confused:
I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I didn't want this thread to get buried in the controversy. And, I did mention how fine the full article was when I linked to it, and in other comments.

So, let's proceed to discuss Scorsese and his admiration for Fellini

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I'm sorry, but if you want to discuss Scorsese and his admiration for Fellini then do so in that previous thread. It's up to posters to change the direction of any discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucrin
Recent bookmarks