What's new

Film Detective - Hercules and the Captive women (1961) - 4/13/2021 (1 Viewer)

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
I see no mention of a Hercules Conquers Atlantis Blu-ray at Amazon Italy, has the Italian OCN ever surfaced?

I don't think the European version has been released on Blu; it's under the Studiocanal umbrella in Europe, and has aired in HD over there.

Have any of the peplum negatives ever surfaced?

The transfer of "Hercules In The Haunted World" used by Koch and Kino Lorber is from the OCN.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I don't think the European version has been released on Blu; it's under the Studiocanal umbrella in Europe, and has aired in HD over there.

The transfer of "Hercules In The Haunted World" used by Koch and Kino Lorber is from the OCN.
OK, this gets high marks for video quality but poor marks for audio except Italian mono with English subtitles, that I don't mind at all. I'll add this to my KL want list ready for their next sale, thanks!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

StudioCanal and Kino is a US release partner, assumption that this is a PD title or orphan here in the US , see now you have gone an done it, given me hope for a proper release of the European cut of the film, and if it's PD they could add it as an extra.

and of of the greatest underrated Hercules shorts of all time

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
StudioCanal and Kino is a US release partner, assumption that this is a PD title or orphan here in the US , see now you have gone an done it, given me hope for a proper release of the European cut of the film, and if it's PD they could add it as an extra.

The international rights to both of the Reg Park Hercules titles (Hercules Conquers Atlantis and Haunted World) appear to be controlled by an entity called Beta Film; they're credited on the packaging of Kino's disc of "Haunted World", and Shout! Factory's MST3k disc of "Captive Women". A lot of these peplum films seem to have the licensing for various territories split up among various entities, which I can imagine would cause some difficulties.

Midnight Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I’ve watched this the twice since getting it this week. With the Tim Lucas commentary and then normally. Looks and especially sounds a million times better than the Retromedia release. A great, fun and informative commentary by Tim Lucas as well as a pretty good 20 min documentary on the peplum genre. Totally worth it if you’re in to classic Herc movies!

Also includes the MST3K version, but that doesn’t look as good as it does on the shout factory release of that episode.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just hope to see more blu-ray releases of this sort! Wonder who owns the Steve Reeves Hercules films.
From the search on another thread we came up with either Viacom or WB...it is a cluster crunch of distributers over the years...but at this point, these 2 seem tp be the main suspects for the first 2 Hurcules movies with Steve Reeves.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
My question for the group is, Where is a decent copy of one of my favorite Hercules titles...Hurcules vs the Moonmen? Here is the first and only time they combined Sword & Sandle with Sci-Fi....The only copies of this are worn out 4th gen copies, warts and all!!!
Am I the only one that would love a BRD restored version of this, not to mention the addition of MST3K version in the bonus materials...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks