What's new

Film Detective - Hercules and the Captive women (1961) - 4/13/2021 (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I was very happy to hear this news today over at the other forum.
This is a peplum film that I watched in my childhood and eagerly waiting for this blu-ray release.

FB1011.jpg

Bonus Materials
Full Feature, Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K): Hercules and the Captive Women
All new documentary: Swords and Sandals
Audio Commentary by film critic, Tim Lucas
Full color insert booklet with essay on film
Sales Points
Subtitles in English and Spanish
All new 4K restoration
MST3K Full Feature included!

Trailer:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Is it burned or pressed. Couldn't find any info online.
If the artwork is correct then it should be pressed. From what I understand the Blu-ray Disc Association will not allow their logo
1607828586228.png
to be used on a disc case for a disc that is not pressed ...

I checked on Amazon and there is no current listing - the same for Deep Discount ...

The same logo appears on the case for other title but not for all. Here are some screengrabs from DD...

No Logo -only text
1607829318782.png

Blu-Ray Logo
1607829392646.png

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
simple thing is to actually go to their site, I only have one title from them, The Sin of Nora Moran, and it is very much a pressed disc, which seems to be their thing for limited releases.

Fist of Fear, Touch of Death - limited pressing of only 1,500 Blu-ray copies
Giant from the Unknown -1,500 Blu-ray copies made
EEGAH! -*Limited edition Blu-ray is not BD-R.

all of these seem to be a limited run of 1500 units

and if you want these, they seem to distribute their exclusives thorough

https://www.moviezyng.com/all.aspx?Attribs=17547+33

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Well, I hope you're right about this. I'd buy Hercules and the Captive Women in a hot second. If Film Detective is going in this direction, maybe MORE sword and sandal titles will finally make it to widescreen blu-rays. Can't wait!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
That specific one is not currently listed on either site, but if they did it right, I would want the,different cuts along with the MST3K,

But I don't know how that works out, who owns that original programming?

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
Film Detective has put up their pre-order page, accompanied by several screenshots of their new restoration:

https://www.thefilmdetective.com/hercules

INCLUDING EPIC SPECIAL FEATURES -
4K Restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
Intro by MST3K writer and co-star Frank Conniff
Mystery Science Theater 3000 version, 1992
Liner notes by author and historian C. Courtney Joyner
Hercules and the Conquest of Cinema: A Swords and Sandals Documentary from Daniel Griffith at Ballyhoo Motion Pictures
Audio commentary by film critic and screenwriter Tim Lucas

Note: while it says "from the original 35mm negative" on the product page, it certainly doesn't look like it; on their main page, it describes the source as "a rare original archival 35mm print", the more likely scenario.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The screenshots look great. If Film Detective is checking in here, PLEASE give us more of this genre, which is so horribly under-represented. The Steve Reeves Hercules films in HD would be a miracle for many fans as would many others. I'd certainly buy them all.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The screenshots look great.

Indeed they look quite nice and compared to all previous home video versions and what one can usually expect for such an obscure title they look fantastic!

Maybe a little less detail than one may hope for but still a decent amount and some grain seems to stick around, too and the color balance seems to go in the right direction. This is not a catalog classic or a movie with a famous actor or director attached to it and yet we get it in much better quality than titles from big studios like Land of The Pharoahs, The Big Fisherman or Barabbas. And it is also sold at a fair price - what's not to like?

Last edited:

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the image quality, I've seen other privately made scans of collector's Technicolor IB prints, and sharpness-wise, these captures on Film Detective's site are pretty much how they look... in the case of this film, maybe even better, since this originated from Technirama (generational distance from the OCN back in Europe notwithstanding). You'll notice some color fringing in some of those shots, due to the printing matrices being slightly out of alignment... this was typical for Tech IB.

Real Name
Geoffrey
I'm guessing that Film Detective is sourcing this release from elements from either Something Weird or Wade Williams. Both are companies they've worked with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks