What's new

Female Singer with the Most Beautiful Voice? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mike Frezon said:
Sarah McLachlan's rendition of Randy Newman's When She Loved Me from Toy Story 2 is one of my all-time favorites, Dick. No bells and whistles. Just her pure voice which drives the emotion of the song.

Yeah, that's a beautiful song, and beautifully performed. Maybe my favorite of hers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Read the story to which I linked...look at my avatar...and I think you can figure out that I agree with you on that one, Dick! :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Sam: I had that same revelation a couple of years ago when I heard this particular duet:

She IS the real deal.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Mike Frezon said:
Don't miss out on Ernestine Schumann-Heink, Jeffery! Hers is the definitive version of Silent Night (Stille Nacht)! :biggrin:

She first recorded it in 1910. It stayed in the RCA Victor catalog until she reissued a second recording in the mid-1920s.

2420764_orig.jpg
Thanks for the post, you are correct and it's indeed a true golden oldie. I just wish more songs from that era existed because it's VERY hard to find these 78 tracks for download or on CD for that matter. Most of the surviving original 78s are even more rare to find. The ones I have are so extremely fragile, you can practiclly break them just by handling genly. Actually, I do have several and they are like very thin and fine China. One false move or sudden jerk by accident and they are in a hundred pieces. Not to mention how darn expensive they are if you find some surviving copies.

If you know of any place to find tracks like this that are quite rare, please post or send me an IM. Always on the lookout for some real music to add to my collection.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i went to see linda ronstadt 5-7 years in a row in the 70s to early 80s ?

at the time, the theaters were open to the outside - most enjoyable concerts that i have ever been to.

just found out that she has parkinsons, and can no longer sing.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not everybody's cup of tea, but if you got 52 minutes...

But listen for at least 5...

If you stick it out to the 25 minute mark, a very special surprise...

Emanuel1

Agent
Real Name
Dessel Martro
Personally i Love Alison Krauss' voice especially in "Goodbye is all We Have" and "Whiskey Lullaby" With Brad Paisley.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
mermaidhelen said:
About Linda Ronstadt.... snip ... she also had this really creepy attitude. A man called out a song in between songs and she actually said "If you read your ticket you would have seen that it said Linda and orchestra, and you would not be asking me to play songs that are not part of what I do now" so rude. Well, at least it was free.
What I find rude is someone yelling out a song requests at a formal concert. What ... like the artist doesn't have a song set selected? If they want requests, they'll ask. I certainly didn't pay money to hear some yahoo shout out his worthless requests. The artist needs to gain some control or it can just get worse and worse. Yell out a song request at a James Taylor concert and see what happens to you. First, he will patronizingly explain that pretty much everyone there at the concert has song requests and such and he can't do them all. Then he will explain to the offending individual that he has something called a "set list" and that he doesn't just pick out songs to sing on the fly as to not confuse the band on what the next song might be. Then he will pick up the very large double sided set list in front of him with the songs in BIG letters and shows it to the audience as he turns this individual into laughing stock material. Now, if it occurs to you that JT does not need songs printed in a huge font *for him* but has this so big so he can show a good deal of the audience the songs (often including the requested song) so he can have at the song requesters ... congrats.

Back on topic ... there have been some terrific vocalists mentioned ... but ..,. something like 228 posts in a Home Theatre Forum and not a single mention for Shirley Bassey? Unbelievable.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
rich_d said:
What I find rude is someone yelling out a song requests at a formal concert. What ... like the artist doesn't have a song set selected? If they want requests, they'll ask. I certainly didn't pay money to hear some yahoo shout out his worthless requests. The artist needs to gain some control or it can just get worse and worse.
I agree. Plus I've heard Linda in interviews talk about that, too: people need to have more respect for the music.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Well, I don't know if it is the "most beautiful voice" but I love the sound of Nico Case's voice...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Talk about great Letterman performances...

(this performance is noteworthy cause the FCC wanted to fine Letterman. His response was "That is the song lyric, F-off.")

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not where I can copy/paste...But Revenge(finally watched it last night) had a great song, with a lead that deserves mention here. London Grammar's song Hey Now. Listened to snippets of their album...ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks