What's new

Features vs. cost of Denon 4802 (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Again I compared two preamps (3801 and 3802) hooked up to one amp (ATI or B&K) and I couldn't tell the difference. So according to you the preamps must be the same on the 3801 and the 3802. But when you listen to the 3801 and the 3802 on their own they sound different. So the difference must be in the amp section, reinforcing my opinion."
I'm not saying that different amps don't sound different. What I am saying, IMO....a pre/pro will sound more different than different amps will....not that that makes much sense, but I'll give an example.
A B&K Ref 30 sounds different to me than a Tag with the same amplifier. The sound difference is more extreme between the pre/pros with the same amp....than the same pre/pro with different (same quality, same wattage) amps.
It's probably much more of a chore to find the difference in the 3801/02 combo, because the pre/pro section is identical or very close.
The 4802 and the 5800 are built quite a bit better with special shielding of internal components, higher S/N ratios, etc.
Jeremy

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Maybe a good experiment would be to use a couple of flagship receivers, IE...the B&K 307 and the Denon 5800. Hook them both up to a high quality, multi channel amp. Calibrate the levels and compare the two.
My bet is that there is a good bit of difference sonically.
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.