What's new

Favorite sample in a rap song (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ah, the delicate art of sampling. There are a lot of lame ones, and a lot of really clever ones. What are your faves?

I've just been listening to De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising. On the song Eye Know, they sample and loop a snippet from Peg by Steely Dan, and integrate very nicely with the song. Very cool.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
While I don't like sampling as a musical crutch (Thank you, 99.9 percent of the rap industry), when it comes to sample-scapers (those who integrate lots of them into a sound universe), I like (sorry that I'm only listing artists):

-Janet Jackson (pre-"All For You")

-Depeche Mode

-Art Of Noise

-Arthur Baker

That's it, really, but I'm not up for a flame war. I'm done.

Sincerely,

John "Burn in Hell, Sean Combs" Kilduff

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....DROP!

Originally used by The Beastie Boys, sampled by themselves and The Blackeyed Peas in well...Drop

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
You know, I don't even know if it's original music, but I was suspecting that it was a sample. From Cypress Hill Rap/Rock Superstar. I liked the song originally, but when I heard only that sample (prominently used for Training Day both in the film and in the trailer), I realized that it was the sample I enjoyed the most.

Of course, I might not be giving CH credit if it was original.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up a Gang Starr CD. At point in the song "I Am the Man", they sample a Charles Mingus bass intro and use it as the base for the rest of the tune. That's so awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks