What's new

Favorite Christmas Episodes (1 Viewer)

Likecats

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Amos & Andy - "The Christmas Story". Andy works as a department store Santa to buy a talking doll for his god-daughter, Amos' 9 year old daughter. Amos explains the Lord's Prayer to his daughter as he tucks her in on Christmas Eve. Great blending of the secular and sacred. Highly Recommended

Bachelor Father - "Deck the Halls". Bentley loses the Christmas spirit after fighting the crowds shopping and pushes Kelly and Peter to go along with his plans to buy no presents for anyone. Great little episode. This is a series that is begging for an official release. Highly Recommended

Restless Gun - "The Child". I already described this one, but just got around to watching it last night. Highly Recommended

Bewitched - "Visions of Sugar Plums". Sam and Darren bring in an orphan for Christmas. Famous episode with Billy Mummy. Easily the best of the several Christmas episodes from this series. Highly Recommended

Father Knows Best - "The Christmas Story" (a very popular title). Jim takes the family up into the mountains to cut down a tree and they get stranded in heavy snow. A closed lodge, complete with lonely old man, provides them a memorable Christmas. Highly Recommended

Honeymooners - "Twas the Night Before Christmas". Already described. One of my favorites. Highly Recommended

West Point - "Christmas Present". Already described. A solid episode from this military-themed series. Recommended

Steve Canyon - "The Gift". Steve helps a young orphaned girl from an Austrian displacement-camp find the true meaning of Christmas. Has a great premise but fizzles just a tad on an ending that I thought could have been stronger. Also has to hold the record for scariest Santa Claus mask of all time. Still an enjoyable episode. Recommended

Gary "the next three days will be spent watching only the essentials" O.
Amos & Andy - "The Christmas Story". Andy works as a department store Santa to buy a talking doll for his god-daughter, Amos' 9 year old daughter. Amos explains the Lord's Prayer to his daughter as he tucks her in on Christmas Eve. Great blending of the secular and sacred. Highly Recommended

Bachelor Father - "Deck the Halls". Bentley loses the Christmas spirit after fighting the crowds shopping and pushes Kelly and Peter to go along with his plans to buy no presents for anyone. Great little episode. This is a series that is begging for an official release. Highly Recommended

Restless Gun - "The Child". I already described this one, but just got around to watching it last night. Highly Recommended

Bewitched - "Visions of Sugar Plums". Sam and Darren bring in an orphan for Christmas. Famous episode with Billy Mummy. Easily the best of the several Christmas episodes from this series. Highly Recommended

Father Knows Best - "The Christmas Story" (a very popular title). Jim takes the family up into the mountains to cut down a tree and they get stranded in heavy snow. A closed lodge, complete with lonely old man, provides them a memorable Christmas. Highly Recommended

Honeymooners - "Twas the Night Before Christmas". Already described. One of my favorites. Highly Recommended

West Point - "Christmas Present". Already described. A solid episode from this military-themed series. Recommended

Steve Canyon - "The Gift". Steve helps a young orphaned girl from an Austrian displacement-camp find the true meaning of Christmas. Has a great premise but fizzles just a tad on an ending that I thought could have been stronger. Also has to hold the record for scariest Santa Claus mask of all time. Still an enjoyable episode. Recommended

Gary "the next three days will be spent watching only the essentials" O.
The Amos and Andy Christmas Show started on radio in 1941 when it was still a 15 minute show and played every year until the show ended in the 50s. The Father Knows best Christmas episode is also taken from a radio script.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The Amos and Andy Christmas Show started on radio in 1941 when it was still a 15 minute show and played every year until the show ended in the 50s. The Father Knows best Christmas episode is also taken from a radio script.

Yes. Thanks for reminding us that many radio scripts were used for early Christmas episodes in these Radio-to-TV crossover shows. :)

Gary “only 3 days till Christmas - unreal” O.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I watched all of the Frasier Christmas episodes this morning. It is one of all-time favorite shows and the Christmas episodes are really fun, but there is one thing that really bugs me every time.

In the episode S6E10 “Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz”, Frasier has his family pretend that they are Jewish to appease his date’s mother, who set Frasier up with her daughter thinking he was Jewish. Frasier has intimated to Niles that he wants a future with this woman, and the lack of logic just kills me. If he wants a future with this woman, eventually her mother is going to find out she was lied to and it will cause even worse problems. One of the things I like about Frasier is that I can believe even the outlandish situations because they have a logical flow. If this were “I Love Lucy” or a show like that where logic really isn’t applicable, OK, Lucy and Ethel dressed up as all sorts of people they weren’t and it worked. But on Frasier, with one foot planted in the reality of Frasier’s life, it just doesn’t work for me. It feels like a convenient way for Niles to get in a few “oy vey”s here and there. There just had to be a more intelligent, logical approach to the situation that could have still been funny while satirizing what could be a very real situation; people of differing religions getting married is an age old human situation. I do very much like the actress who plays Mrs. Moskowitz, Carole Shelley. She was Gwendolyn in the film of “The Odd Couple”. The pushy mama in this episode could have been a caricature in other hands, but Carole plays her with restraint, charm, and an air of class.

I also noted that S3E9 “Frasier Grinch” used a premise that was done on Murphy Brown S7E12 “Brown in Toyland”. Both Murphy and Frasier are in need of that year’s most popular toy, named something like the Laser Robo Geek, but every store is sold out. There is a happy surprise at the end of each episode when it turns out that another family member picked up the toy months before (including batteries) and all’s well that ends well. They are both witty scripts, but I think Frasier is the stronger of the two, even if it did borrow a concept. As a side note, apparently this year’s toy is Baby Yoda, which is back-ordered until April. I have a friend looking everywhere for one for his kid LOL. Not sure one will magically turn up for him at the last minute though, like it did for Murphy and Frasier, but it is Christmas after all.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
A busy weekend here meant that I didn't get much watched, alas. But I did manage to squeak in a viewing of the Peter Cushing Sherlock Holmes version of "The Blue Carbuncle." While I still prefer the later Jeremy Brett version, this remains a very good adaptation of this classic tale. This was made in the "TV play" style (filmed exteriors/ videotaped studio interiors) typical for British TV of the period, which might bother some U.S. viewers, but isn't a problem for this longtime UK telly fan. Peter Cushing's Holmes is warmer and more humorous than is probably accurate with the Doyle canon, but he and Nigel Stock (as Watson) make for charming company nonetheless. Fun to see Frank Middlemass appear as Peterson; he would return 16 years later as Harold Baker in the Jeremy Brett version of this story. There's a lovely little scene where Watson gives Holmes some pipe tobacco as a Christmas present.

Will hopefully get a few more classics watched tonight...

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS- "Twas The Night Before Christmas" and "The Nativity". Brought to you by your telephone company. This was a welcome staple of Holiday programming in the 1950s and 1960s. Brought back in the 1990s by your public television stations.

I am posting two versions from YouTube since they have different phone company wraps. In the one where the man says, " and now here's a friend of yours", and then cuts away. I think he was introducing one of the telephone operators. I believe she mentions your city's local arm of the phone company. The same operator appears at the end. I think there was another version with Alexander Scourby as the host. But, as a kid, I may have thought the guy in the shirt sleeves, in the second version, was Scourby.

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Finishing up tomorrow with:
1. Twas the Night Before Christmas (1974)
2. Garfield Christmas
3. Yes, Virginia (1974)
4. A Claymation Christmas Celebration
5. The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (1985)
6. It's a Wonderful Life (new Blu-ray)

• Where did you find a copy of 1974's "Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus?" Is that the one narrated by Jim Backus? I wish that one had caught on in popularity. It's my favorite version of that story.
By the way, I congratulate you on your choices. You have consummate taste.

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Two days away from Christmas Eve, and I only watched one Christmas special this year. I think it's due to health problems. Can't seem to get in the Holiday mood.

By the way, do any of the Christmas Special Experts have any opinions on the Santa versus the Snowman special that was made fifteen years ago. It's narrated by Jonathan Winters, and I think the humor is pretty good. It predated Arthur Christmas and Prep and Landing by a few years, with that concept of Santa's Workshop and Elves "borrowing" from the military, phrases and tactical styles.

Love it.

It also seems that some of the new specials like Klaus and the Christmas Chronicles are only available on their streaming services, which is a pity because I don't feel like subscribing to all the various ones.

Have any of you noticed this? From the clips, I've seen Klaus looks good, but I haven't seen it yet.

James

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
One remaining "special" so to speak. In 1980, William F. Buckley, Jr's "Firing Line" program did a one hour interview with British journalist Malcolm Muggeridge on the issue of finding faith. Every year afterward for the remainder of the program's run through 1999 the interview was always repeated at Christmas time as its subject related to the central issue behind the season.

And now into the first wave of the first tier.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents, S1-"Santa Clause And The 10th Avenue Kid"
-A nice tale of Barry Fitzgerald as a paroled con getting work as a department store Santa.

Twilight Zone, S2-"Night Of The Meek"
-Missed this last year. The videotape quality gives it more of a live 50s drama ambience. I can remember seeing the 1985 remake with Richard Mulligan when it first aired and never since.

Going My Way-"Keep An Eye On Santa Claus"
-I've never been able to get into this 1962-63 drama with Gene Kelly, Dick York and Leo G. Carroll even though it's one of the few non-western series Timeless released. It's always come off as a kind of Father Dowling without murder mysteries to move it along. That said, the Christmas episode is fine and might motivate me to give some more episodes a look. James Dunn is a paroled criminal that Father Fitzgibbon (Carroll) gets a job for as a department store Santa but it turns out Dunn has gotten the job so he can plan a safe heist with another ex-con who is living in a room at the youth center run by Kelly's friend York. Of interest to Twilight Zone fans is that playing Dunn's daughter and grandson are Cloris Leachman and Bill Mumy, after they had already played mother and son in the "It's A Good Life" episode (but Mumy isn't threatening to send Grandpa to the corn field for breaking parole!)

Wagon Train, S3-"The St. Nicholas Story"
-Outstanding story written by Jean Holloway in which Major Adams has to deal with an Indian attack on December 23rd, a missing child, a wounded doctor etc. The spirit of the Christmas season is quite strong in this one and elevates it to an upper tier Christmas episode for me. Sadly, this would be the last Christmas Ward Bond got to see as he died on November 5, 1960 (I looked up his obituary. He died in a Dallas motel of a heart attack the night before he was going to see an NFL game with his wife)

A Christmas Carol (1984)
-The George C. Scott version which is runner-up to the 1951 version for best filmed telling of the tale. Clive Donner who directed was the editor of the 1951 version. Great supporting cast with Frank Finlay as probably the best Marley's ghost I've seen.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Medic - "Red Christmas". A powerful episode about fools who drink at Christmas office parties and the tragedies that take place way too often when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle. A sobering Yuletide story, no pun intended. Nevertheless, this one is Highly Recommended as it makes use of just enough Christmas music and hospital decorations to keep it in the holiday loop.

Dragnet - "The Big, Little Jesus". The 50's version, which is the exact same story-line as the more famous color episode from '67. This one has Webb teamed up with Ben Alexander (Officer Frank Smith). It's not quite as good as the remake, but it's pretty close. Still Highly Recommended

Petticoat Junction - "Cannonball Christmas". A favorite of my family, this one has all the elements of a classic Christmas episode. The gang is trying to decorate the Cannonball for her annual Christmas Eve run through the valley delivering food and presents as carolers sing out. As with most of his shows, Henning has a semi-continual storyline in this first season where a scrooge-like Homer Bedloe (played by Charles Lane) tries - once again - to shut down the train and the Shady Rest. Fortunately another recurring character, Norman Curtis (Roy Roberts), saves the day. The final minutes show the Cannonball decorated and steaming through the valley as we hear several beautiful Christmas carols are sung. Highly Recommended

The Lucy Show - "Together for Christmas". Easily the best Christmas episode Lucille Ball ever made during her multiple series on television. This one has Lucy and Viv deciding to spend Christmas together instead of going to their respective relatives homes for the holidays. But they quickly realize they observe completely different traditions: color of the tree, ornaments on the tree, what to eat for the traditional meal, how to sort presents, etc. It's quiet funny and, of course, ends well. I note every time I watch this episode that little Jimmy Garrett (Lucy's son Jerry) is clueless on every one of the Christmas carols that are sung at the end. I'm always shocked by this, and have to wonder how he didn't know the words to even the most basic of traditional carols at 8 years of age. This one is Highly Recommended

Gary "these last two days will have to be dedicated to only the most essential of essentials - things like O&H, Lassie, HGWT, Kildare, Charlie Brown, 'It's a Wonderful Life', and several others" O.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Medic - "Red Christmas". A powerful episode about fools who drink at Christmas office parties and the tragedies that take place way too often when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle. A sobering Yuletide story, no pun intended. Nevertheless, this one is Highly Recommended as it makes use of just enough Christmas music and hospital decorations to keep it in the holiday loop.

Dragnet - "The Big, Little Jesus". The 50's version, which is the exact same story-line as the more famous color episode from '67. This one has Webb teamed up with Ben Alexander (Officer Frank Smith). It's not quite as good as the remake, but it's pretty close. Still Highly Recommended

Petticoat Junction - "Cannonball Christmas". A favorite of my family, this one has all the elements of a classic Christmas episode. The gang is trying to decorate the Cannonball for her annual Christmas Eve run through the valley delivering food and presents as carolers sing out. As with most of his shows, Henning has a semi-continual storyline in this first season where a scrooge-like Homer Bedloe (played by Charles Lane) tries - once again - to shut down the train and the Shady Rest. Fortunately another recurring character, Norman Curtis (Roy Roberts), saves the day. The final minutes show the Cannonball decorated and steaming through the valley as we hear several beautiful Christmas carols are sung. Highly Recommended

The Lucy Show - "Together for Christmas". Easily the best Christmas episode Lucille Ball ever made during her multiple series on television. This one has Lucy and Viv deciding to spend Christmas together instead of going to their respective relatives homes for the holidays. But they quickly realize they observe completely different traditions: color of the tree, ornaments on the tree, what to eat for the traditional meal, how to sort presents, etc. It's quiet funny and, of course, ends well. I note every time I watch this episode that little Jimmy Garrett (Lucy's son Jerry) is clueless on every one of the Christmas carols that are sung at the end. I'm always shocked by this, and have to wonder how he didn't know the words to even the most basic of traditional carols at 8 years of age. This one is Highly Recommended

Gary "these last two days will have to be dedicated to only the most essential of essentials - things like O&H, Lassie, HGWT, Kildare, Charlie Brown, 'It's a Wonderful Life', and several others" O.
Excellent choices. I especially like Candy Moore in The Lucy Show(along with several other shows she appeared in). I thought she was always talented enough to do even more shows than she did. Very cute looking too!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

Stafford Repp, better known as Chief O'Hara on "Batman" showing what he could do in a dead serious part as the traumatized, but uninjured driver.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Sometimes, I like to find something to tie some shows together, so I programmed a list of TV shows that aired on the ABC network in the 1970s that I routinely watched.

The Brady Bunch - S1E12 - The Voice of Christmas - Really, the only time Florence got to sing seriously on the show. She had a solid Broadway career prior to the Bradys.

The Partridge Family - S2E13 - Don't Bring Your Guns to Town, Santa - I am always touched by the look on Dean Jagger's face when the family comes back to spend Christmas with him. And, of course, the White Christmas connection makes it more poignant, as well. Given that both Brady and Partridge are shows about families, I am surprised they only did 1 Christmas episode each.

The Odd Couple - S2E12 - Scrooge Gets an Oscar - What a fun episode, and the guys get to play a bit with different voices.

Starsky & Hutch- S2E13 - Little Girl Lost - S&H get to show their soft sides a bit here, and there is a nice Christmas epilogue, and of course Kristy McNichol gave a tough as nails performance which was perfect for the episode.

The Julie Andrews Hour S1E14 - Who better than Jimmy Stewart to guest on Julie's Christmas episode. The Scrooge skits wear a bit thin for me, but the music is nothing less than glorious.

Edit to add link to Julie Andrews Hour

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks