What's new

Favorite Christmas Episodes (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Wow, thanks for the head's up about Lois & Clark. That episode is on my list to watch today and I was going to watch the streaming version because they look great - but definitely DVD for this one.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And now we close the books on the Christmas specials. I'll be watching a few movies on the 25th.

Christmas In Washington (1987)
-Barbara Mandrell, Jack Jones, Marilyn McCoo.

Julie Andrews: The Sound Of Christmas (1987)
-Also with John Denver, Placido Domingo. Julie does this special from Salzburg, where "Sound of Music" was filmed. Simply glorious to hear her voice doing Christmas carols.

Christmas In Washington (1988)
-The last program of the Reagan era. Jimmy Stewart hosts. Also with Shirley Jones, Vikki Carr, Gary Morris. This was also a bit of a shift from the template that had been in place from 83-87 with the Eastern High School Choir of Washington replacing the Shiloh Gospel Church Choir that had performed the previous years.

Season's Greetings With The Boston Pops (1988)
-NBC aired this special of the Boston Pops annual Christmas concert, conducted by John Williams. Guests Andy Williams, Reba McEntire and Roberta Flack. John Candy reads "Twas The Night Before Christmas".

Firing Line-Malcolm Muggeridge
-A 1980 interview with British journalist Malcolm Muggeridge on "How Does One Find Faith?" became a Christmas season rerun staple on William F. Buckley's talk show for the rest of its run through 1999, though in 1988 when Firing Line was reduced to a half hour, this necessitated editing the original program for its annual Christmas airing, but the power of it is still great and quite appropriate for the season (my recording is from 1988. I do have the original hour version, but I like having Buckley's wraparound intro that is also seasonally appropriate).

The Christmas Tree Ship
-This 2004 Weather Channel documentary is on the loss of the sailing ship Rouse Simmons on Lake Michigan in 1912 during a winter storm. The Rouse Simmons was carrying a cargo of Christmas trees for sale in Chicago, and her captain was known for running the "Christmas Tree Ship" for many years. The story is also about what Christmas traditions were like in the early 20th century (at the time this was made there was still someone alive who remembered visiting the ship the year before it was lost) and also how the captain's widow carried on the tradition for another 20 years.

Time And Again-Christmas
-The one undisputed positive legacy of the MSNBC channel was this late 90s series showing vintage/archival NBC News footage of historic events. This program from 1997 on Christmas features 10 minutes from the 1960 Alexander Scourby narrated documentary "The Coming Of Christ" which for a decade was aired annually. Unfortunately this is the ONLY time this program has been seen in part since the early 1970s as we've yet to see either a full replay or a home video release (even though NBC later released many of their other documentaries in the "Project XX" series from this era to home video).

Christmas With Friends (1984)
-The Tonight Show Christmas special that first aired in 1984 and again through 1991, the last Christmas of the Carson era. No sketches, just a nice half hour music program of Doc and the band doing some appropriate Christmas pieces. I always watch this in the early morning hours of the 25th.

Carols For Christmas
-Produced in the mid-80s by the Metropolitan Museum of Art it features the Royal College of Music Chamber Choir performing Christmas Carols arranged by David Willcocks and set to some paintings from the Metropolitan collection.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Well, wrapping up a very busy fall semester this December put a definite crimp in my Christmas-themed TV watching plans, but I did get a few shows watched. Like Tom W. stated on the previous page, I generally try to check out episodes (and shows) that I've not seen before, in hopes of discovering a couple of new seasonal favorites. Here's some new-to-me episodes that I managed to squeak in:

Tales of Wells Fargo – 2.16 “Laredo”
Wells Fargo troubleshooter Jim Hardie (Dale Robertson) foregoes his holiday to put a stop to a gang of slimeballs running guns across the Mexican border. After the requisite amount of gunplay, fistfights and skullduggery, Hardie ends up bringing some Christmas cheer to a poor Mexican family by helping to save their wounded father (Rodolfo Hoyos, Jr.). Also starring Penny Santon (later of Matt Houston) as the injured man’s wife, Karl Swenson, plus brief cameos by X Brands and an uncredited Jim Bannon. Solidly entertaining, meat-and-potatoes western series.

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet – 9.13 “A Piano for the Fraternity”
The last of this terrific sitcom’s many seasonal outings is a very good one, as Dave and Rick try to find a cheap secondhand piano for their upcoming frat house Christmas party. They end up getting gifted a used one from a sweet older couple (nicely played by Will Wright and Charity Grace) and end up inviting the couple – along with fraternity brothers' parents – to the festivities. An entertaining and heartwarming episode in this series’ signature low-key yet satisfying style.

vlcsnap-2023-12-25-18h45m36s748.png
vlcsnap-2023-12-25-18h45m47s010.png

vlcsnap-2023-12-25-18h46m02s851.png

vlcsnap-2023-12-25-18h48m00s635.png
vlcsnap-2023-12-25-19h58m59s690.png

Magpie (installment aired 12/24/76)
This children’s news and entertainment magazine-style series, UK channel ITV’s slightly hipper, looser answer to rival BBC’s long-running, more staid Blue Peter, ran twice a week from 1968 to 1980, for over 1,000 episodes. This was the show’s Christmas episode for 1976, and includes some local children singing carols, a segment on outdoor mural painting, some mildly amusing skits about historical anti-festive laws, demonstration of simple magic tricks and an update on a charity drive the show was running at the time to help renovate an elderly care facility. Bubbly blonde co-host Jenny Hanley, decked out in a pair of skintight orange slacks, was reason enough for me to keep watching this curio. Network previously released a nostalgic sampler set of Magpie several years back, but I watched this one courtesy of the same company's Look-Back at 70s Telly Issue 3 set.

magpie2.jpg

77 Sunset Strip – 4.14 “Bullets for Santa”
The festive trappings pretty much go by the wayside after the opening ten minutes, but it's otherwise a fine entry in this, the most successful of WB’s detective shows. A man dressed up as Santa is shot in the holiday parade on a float next to aging actress Pauline Grant (Marilyn Maxwell). Then the actress is shot at during the Tournament of Roses parade. The studio hires Jeff Spencer (Roger Smith) to protect her. Suspects include her wily agent (Gerald Mohr); the producer (Ed Prentiss) of the movie Ms. Grant is currently working on; the wealthy ex-husband (John Howard) who still dotes on her; her dismissive director (Victor Buono); and her hot-to-trot daughter, Kristan (Yvonne Craig). Jeff calls Kookie (Ed Byrnes) in to assist on the case, but cool cat Kookie spends more time sucking face with the delectable Kristan (lucky guy) than keeping a watchful eye on the intended target. Breezy episode with a good guest cast and a nice little plot twist near the climax.

vlcsnap-2023-12-25-18h35m46s873.png

vlcsnap-2023-12-25-18h33m00s265.png
vlcsnap-2023-12-25-18h37m16s572.png

Operation Petticoat – 1.12 “I’m Dreaming of a Pink Christmas”
When the crew of the pink-painted USS Sea Tiger finds that all available supplies on base have already been claimed on Christmas Eve, wily Lt. Holden (Richard Gilliland) takes it upon himself to finagle presents for everyone, including perfume and stockings for the five nurses stranded on board…even a Christmas tree, swiped from the Officer’s Club. I’m a big fan of the Blake Edwards film upon which this series is based, and while Gilliland and John Astin (as Lt. Comdr. Sherman) are nowhere near the same league as Tony Curtis and Cary Grant, this sitcom version is moderately diverting in its own right. It helps that the nurses include some first-class babes, particularly Jamie Lee Curtis and Melinda Naud (as klutzy Lt. Crandall). It’s also fun to see early work from "Ernest" himself, Jim Varney, as Seaman “Doom and Gloom” Broom.

pett3.jpg

S.W.A.T. – 2.15 “Silent Night, Deadly Night”
Hondo (Steve Forrest) and the boys from S.W.A.T. are preparing for the annual Christmas party for sick kids at L.A.'s Memorial Hospital. Meanwhile, a couple of hoods (Michael Callan and Richard Forbes) and the doctor girlfriend (Elizabeth Baur, then finishing up the 8th and final season of Ironside) of one of them are plotting to steal half a mil in jewelry from the rich socialite benefactor (Anne Francis) of the hospital, who happens to be visiting for a little seasonal cosmetic surgery. Fortunately for her, Hondo and his team get wise to the baddies' plan and put a stop to it. A climactic shootout in a hospital doesn't sound particularly Christmassy, but this is otherwise a decent outing from the second and last season of this ‘70s cop show, whose chief claim to fame is its phenomenal catchy theme tune. Also with Rose Marie, Allen Oppenheimer and Frank Campanella.

Fury – 3.11 “The Wayfarer”
It’s Christmas Eve at the Broken Wheel Ranch and owner Jim Newton (Peter Graves) and his ranch hand Pete (William Fawcett) are fed up with the lack of the proper Christmas spirit displayed by their juvenile orphan charges, Joey (Bobby Diamond) and Pee Wee (Jimmy Baird). All the boys seem interested in doing is counting their presents and coveting more. Fortuitously, a kindly old traveler with a long white beard calling himself Uncle Kris (and leading a burro named Vixen) just happens to stop by the ranch, ultimately leading Jim, Pete and the boys to a neighboring farm inhabited by a poor family. In true Christmas TV show fashion, Joey and Pee-Wee get an attitude adjustment and end up donating their presents to the poor family’s two young sons. I’d never seen this program before and was expecting to be bathed in some kiddie corn. I guess it is indeed that to a certain extent, but I also found it a very effective and heartwarming episode, well played by both its adult and young cast, and can see myself possibly returning to the show in the future. I believe that’s character actor Lloyd Corrigan as Uncle Kris, but as the copy I watched via YouTube had its opening and closing credits in German only, I couldn’t confirm it. But I’m pretty sure it’s him, and he makes for an effective undercover “is he or isn’t he?” Santa Claus. Oh, and handsome black stallion Fury clops his way into proceedings, as well.

Of the above-reviewed episodes, it's clearly the Ozzie and Harriet ep and - somewhat surprisingly - Fury which share the Christmas good cheer crown this year.

Well, that does it for me for Christmas 2023. Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and a happy, safe and healthy New Year!

Last edited:

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
And now we close the books on the Christmas specials. I'll be watching a few movies on the 25th.

Christmas In Washington (1987)
-Barbara Mandrell, Jack Jones, Marilyn McCoo.

Julie Andrews: The Sound Of Christmas (1987)
-Also with John Denver, Placido Domingo. Julie does this special from Salzburg, where "Sound of Music" was filmed. Simply glorious to hear her voice doing Christmas carols.

Christmas In Washington (1988)
-The last program of the Reagan era. Jimmy Stewart hosts. Also with Shirley Jones, Vikki Carr, Gary Morris. This was also a bit of a shift from the template that had been in place from 83-87 with the Eastern High School Choir of Washington replacing the Shiloh Gospel Church Choir that had performed the previous years.

Season's Greetings With The Boston Pops (1988)
-NBC aired this special of the Boston Pops annual Christmas concert, conducted by John Williams. Guests Andy Williams, Reba McEntire and Roberta Flack. John Candy reads "Twas The Night Before Christmas".

Firing Line-Malcolm Muggeridge
-A 1980 interview with British journalist Malcolm Muggeridge on "How Does One Find Faith?" became a Christmas season rerun staple on William F. Buckley's talk show for the rest of its run through 1999, though in 1988 when Firing Line was reduced to a half hour, this necessitated editing the original program for its annual Christmas airing, but the power of it is still great and quite appropriate for the season (my recording is from 1988. I do have the original hour version, but I like having Buckley's wraparound intro that is also seasonally appropriate).

The Christmas Tree Ship
-This 2004 Weather Channel documentary is on the loss of the sailing ship Rouse Simmons on Lake Michigan in 1912 during a winter storm. The Rouse Simmons was carrying a cargo of Christmas trees for sale in Chicago, and her captain was known for running the "Christmas Tree Ship" for many years. The story is also about what Christmas traditions were like in the early 20th century (at the time this was made there was still someone alive who remembered visiting the ship the year before it was lost) and also how the captain's widow carried on the tradition for another 20 years.

Time And Again-Christmas
-The one undisputed positive legacy of the MSNBC channel was this late 90s series showing vintage/archival NBC News footage of historic events. This program from 1997 on Christmas features 10 minutes from the 1960 Alexander Scourby narrated documentary "The Coming Of Christ" which for a decade was aired annually. Unfortunately this is the ONLY time this program has been seen in part since the early 1970s as we've yet to see either a full replay or a home video release (even though NBC later released many of their other documentaries in the "Project XX" series from this era to home video).

Christmas With Friends (1984)
-The Tonight Show Christmas special that first aired in 1984 and again through 1991, the last Christmas of the Carson era. No sketches, just a nice half hour music program of Doc and the band doing some appropriate Christmas pieces. I always watch this in the early morning hours of the 25th.

Carols For Christmas
-Produced in the mid-80s by the Metropolitan Museum of Art it features the Royal College of Music Chamber Choir performing Christmas Carols arranged by David Willcocks and set to some paintings from the Metropolitan collection.

"Carols For Christmas" has been my background video for Christmas morning for 35 years now. I kept the booklet from the VHS tape, and stored it in first, the laserdisc, and later, the DVD. The booklet fully annotates the art shown during the concert, and it was only ever in the videocassette. It's a wonderful Christmas video.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Posted in early December from A Word On Westerns. It’s clearly a Thanksgiving Parade but likely due to ratings, the television station billed it as a Christmas Parade and so have all subsequent postings.

Santa Claus Lane Christmas Parade From Hollywood! (1961)

Newsman and commentator Bill Welch greets …

2:56 - Gene Autrey
3:44 - Don Defore & family
4:21 - Frank Faylon & family
4:37 - Bozo The Clown (too much caffeine)
5:10 - Ann Francis
5:18 - Johnny & Bobby Crawford
5:46 - Ray “Crash” Corrigan
6:41 - Patti McCormick
6:43 - Ty Hardin
7:51 - John Rusell & Peggy Castle
8:12 - Cast of 87th Precinct
8:20 - Cast of Leave It To Beaver
8:37 - Bullwinkle
8:43 - Julie Redding
9:04 - Cast of Rawhide
9:30 - Tugboat Annie

9:40 - Gene Putnam
10:06 - Merry Anders & daughter
10:34 - Soupy Sales
11:57 - Cast of The Untouchables (best one)
12:40 - Beulah Bondi
13:40 - Cast of Donna Reed
14:54 - Erin O’Brien & sons
15:23 - Ann Tyrell
16:53 - Jack Baily
17:21 - Lawrence Welk
17:43 - Jeanne Cagney
18:05 - Duncan Renaldo
18:19 - Francis X. Bushman
20:55 - Del Moore & family

I also watched this 1964 TV-Movie. Not exactly the way to spend a Merry Christmas. I still don't know what the heck to make of it!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Posted in early December from A Word On Westerns. It’s clearly a Thanksgiving Parade but likely due to ratings, the television station billed it as a Christmas Parade and so have all subsequent postings.

Santa Claus Lane Christmas Parade From Hollywood! (1961)

Even though the Santa Claus Lane parade on Hollywood Blvd. through the years was held on the day before Thanksgiving, until the '70s at some point when it was changed to the Sunday after Thanksgiving and the name changed to The Hollywood Christmas Parade, it's always been known as a Christmas Parade since 1928.

And I agree with you, The Untouchables segment is the best!

Look at this 10 minutes from the 1952 Santa Claus Lane parade done by Cine-Tour, which I believe is a company that made short 8mm films of attractions and such for people to view on their home movie projectors.

You'll see lots of Hollywood celebrities, including one playing Santa Claus. I'll give one celebrity away: Sabu riding on an elephant!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
"Operation Petticoat" is one of the few shows left I still hope might make it to DVD. I enjoyed watching it its first season but bailed out when it jettisoned almost the entire cast for its short-lived second series. I still have the two hour pilot film remake of the 1959 movie from a 1985 late night airing on WCBS in addition to a large chunk of the other episodes from TV Land and YT.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, wrapping up a very busy fall semester this December put a definite crimp in my Christmas-themed TV watching plans, but I did get a few shows watched. Like Tom W. stated on the previous page, I generally try to check out episodes (and shows) that I've not seen before, in hopes of discovering a couple of new seasonal favorites. Here's some new-to-me episodes that I managed to squeak in...

Fury – 3.11 “The Wayfarer”
It’s Christmas Eve at the Broken Wheel Ranch and owner Jim Newton (Peter Graves) and his ranch hand Pete (William Fawcett) are fed up with the lack of the proper Christmas spirit displayed by their juvenile orphan charges, Joey (Bobby Diamond) and Pee Wee (Jimmy Baird). All the boys seem interested in doing is counting their presents and coveting more. Fortuitously, a kindly old traveler with a long white beard calling himself Uncle Kris (and leading a burro named Vixen) just happens to stop by the ranch, ultimately leading Jim, Pete and the boys to a neighboring farm inhabited by a poor family. In true Christmas TV show fashion, Joey and Pee-Wee get an attitude adjustment and end up donating their presents to the poor family’s two young sons. I’d never seen this program before and was expecting to be bathed in some kiddie corn. I guess it is indeed that to a certain extent, but I also found it a very effective and heartwarming episode, well played by both its adult and young cast, and can see myself possibly returning to the show in the future. I believe that’s character actor Lloyd Corrigan as Uncle Kris, but as the copy I watched via YouTube had its opening and closing credits in German only, I couldn’t confirm it. But I’m pretty sure it’s him, and he makes for an effective undercover “is he or isn’t he?” Santa Claus. Oh, and handsome black stallion Fury clops his way into proceedings, as well.

Of the above-reviewed episodes, it's clearly the Ozzie and Harriet ep and - somewhat surprisingly - Fury which share the Christmas good cheer crown this year.

I knew you'd like the Fury episode, Jeff. It's become a yearly classic at my home. Like other episodes that emphasize the sacred aspect of the season - Dr Kildare, Dragnet, HGWT, A Charlie Brown Christmas and many others, this one seamlessly incorporates everything that makes Christmas what it is intended to be. So happy to hear you enjoyed it.

Gary "hoping everyone had a great Christmas" O.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I watched on Christmas Eve ......The Bishop's Wife, It's A Wonderful Life, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964) TV, The Honeymooners Christmas episode (1955) and The Andy Griffith Show Christmas episode (1960):biggrin: ....... Christmas Day I watched .....A Christmas Carol (1938), Scrooge (1951), Miracle on 34th Street (1947), March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934), How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966) A Charlie Brown Christmas, and Dennis the Menace TV series 3 Christmas episodes (1959-1961) :D

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
There were a couple items I'd watched I neglected to put in previous listings so I'm including them here. In addition to 1986 specials, I decided it was time to get to the Big Three.

Father Dowling Mysteries, S3-"The Christmas Mystery"

Loretta Young Show, S3-"Christmas Stopover"

Loretta Young Show, S4-"Three And Two, Please"
-I always catch these two shows every year. I just can not bring myself to revisit the first Christmas show she did because the kid actor in it is just hard to watch.

Perry Como Christmas in San Antonio (1986)
-This was Como's last network TV special (he did one final one in 1994 that aired on PBS and he admitted later he wasn't up to snuff in that one). San Antonio is again not the most ideal of locales for a Christmas special but Perry makes the most of it. Guests are Angie Dickinson (who warbles one number; she'd also been on his 1982 special and she said later those were the only two times she ever sang in public), Julia Migenes and George Strait.

Christmas In Washington (1986)
-Mac Davis, gospel singer Sandi Patti, opera singer Clamma Dale perform. John Forsythe hosts. Another from the great specials in the Reagan years.

And now we come to the big three.

Have Gun Will Travel, S1-"The Hanging Cross"
-I am a Star Trek fan, but Gene Roddenberry wrote more words of wisdom in this one episode than all the episodes of Star Trek put together.

Have Gun Will Travel, S6-"Be Not Forgetful To Strangers"
-While not as strong as the S1 episode, this is probably IMO the best "Nativity parallel" Christmas episode of any kind I've seen (the "Star In The Night" short film from 1945 is a different category).

Dr. Kildare, S1-"Season To Be Jolly"
-The brilliance and power of this episode has been reported many times in this thread. The industry would never dare permit an episode like this to be written today. But what makes it so exceptional is how Dan O'Herlihy's return-to-faith moment is done with absolutely powerful understatement. No emotional breakdown. No long mawkish speech. Just the way he looks upward and with light shining in his eyes.......you know this is the moment when he has decided to finally come home.

Dragnet, S2-"The Christmas Story"
-I get a chill every time I hear Friday's line, "Are they, Father?" to the entry of the choral score that then rises to the glorious fade-out centered on the Christmas candles as Friday and Gannon leave.

The 23rd to the 25th will be devoted to more Christmas specials covering 1987-88 plus a couple additional ones and the 25th I think I will turn over to some movies only. A few episodes I've watched in the past missed the cut this year but I think sometimes you have to do that with a few to prevent your mind from becoming over-exposed to certain ones. I'll probably also do my usual encore viewings of Kildare and Dragnet on the 26th-27th since watching them a second time just after Christmas is always my time to then ponder what changes in my life will take place before its time to start the Christmas viewings again next year.
Just watched the original version of that Dragnet episode "The Big Little Jesus" which also ended with that line, 70 years to the day since it was first shown in 1953. Think it was also the only original Dragnet episode shown in color (not counting the 1954 movie, of course) although only a B&W copy exists.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I watched on Christmas Eve ......The Bishop's Wife, It's A Wonderful Life, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964) TV, The Honeymooners Christmas episode (1955) and The Andy Griffith Show Christmas episode (1960):biggrin: ....... Christmas Day I watched .....A Christmas Carol (1938), Scrooge (1951), Miracle on 34th Street (1947), March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934), How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966) A Charlie Brown Christmas, and Dennis the Menace TV series 3 Christmas episodes (1959-1961) :D
You really kept busy watching all those!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I finished up Tuesday night with The Fruitcake and The Day After Christmas from Ozzie & Harriet. Last night I watched Bullets For Santa from 77 Sunset Strip. Most of my episodes from that show are from MeTV recordings, however this particular episode was taken from a film print-looked like 16mm with good picture and sound. No cuts and even had the bumpers with the announcer saying.. now back to 77 Sunset Strip and about it being a Warner Brothers production. I watched so many Christmas theme movies and shows starting in early December, I can't even remember every one of them right now.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And I have done my usual post-Christmas encore viewings of Kildare and Dragnet which always closes the books on the Christmas season viewings for me, and leaves me with thought of what changes will have taken place in my life and in the world by the time the process begins again in eleven months from now. Last Christmas was my first one following the death of my father whom I'd been caregiving for, the sale of my home and a move to smaller quarters in a different town (though not out of the general area). It came off the biggest year of upheaval in my life. Now, I've gone through a year of stability that I think will see me staying put where I am for the longer-haul.

This thread has over the years become a reassuring thing to come back to each year. I couldn't think of this forum without it.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
And I have done my usual post-Christmas encore viewings of Kildare and Dragnet which always closes the books on the Christmas season viewings for me, and leaves me with thought of what changes will have taken place in my life and in the world by the time the process begins again in eleven months from now. Last Christmas was my first one following the death of my father whom I'd been caregiving for, the sale of my home and a move to smaller quarters in a different town (though not out of the general area). It came off the biggest year of upheaval in my life. Now, I've gone through a year of stability that I think will see me staying put where I am for the longer-haul.

This thread has over the years become a reassuring thing to come back to each year. I couldn't think of this forum without it.
Merry Christmas, Jack. This is my 10th year since my own caregiving days ended, and I was also glad back then to have my own comforting Christmas viewing rituals to restore my equilibrium. One of them involves continuing to watch Christmas videos old and new right through Ukrainian Christmas, which I am presently doing. Nothing but the best for you in 2024, and see you next year!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
One of them involves continuing to watch Christmas videos old and new right through Ukrainian Christmas, which I am presently doing.
Speaking of, I have an extensive collection of Christmas music cd's and the like. This year one of the ones I got in somewhat of a show of solidarity for the country right now: Ukrainian Christmas Carols. No translation as to what they were singing about. I must admit they all sounded much the same to me. My favorite was "Why Do You Galochko Stay Home?" If the song answers that question, I do not know!

Also, I read this last Sunday: In a symbolic change, Ukrainians celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25th. In a stark rebuke of Russia, Ukraine joins the West in celebrating Christmas on Dec. 25 instead of Jan. 6-7 as it traditionally has done.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
TV Guide Spotlight: TV's Merriest Episodes!

I bought this collection of 12 Christmas TV Episodes in November. In order on the disc are: Bewitched, The Flying Nun, The Partridge Family, Roseanne, The Cosby Show, Married With Children, 3rd Rock from the Sun, The Ellen Show, Just Shoot Me, The Nanny, NewsRadio, That '70s Show.

I did not watch Bewitched or The Flying Nun this year as I already have them and have seen them a lot, but I watched the rest. I'd seen a couple of these before, but not most of them.

In order of favorite to least favorite.

The Ellen Show / The Nanny (1st season): I couldn't decide. The Nanny made me laugh more and was jam-packed with humor, but The Ellen Show had a sentimental touch to it that I loved, plus a surprise. This episode is from The Ellen Show, a 2001 sitcom she had which aired 13 of the 18 episodes they produced. I remember watching it a few times, but not this episode. A year later Ellen began her long-running talk show.

Roseanne (4th season): Money and holiday issues in this middle class family at Christmas, with much humor and heart.

The Partridge Family (2nd season): I talked about this one in a post a couple weeks ago. (Post #1677.) This one I watched first and never thought I'd rate it this high.

Married With Children (2nd season): I do recall seeing this back in the day when it aired. It was good once for it's alternate look at Christmas episodes, but not something one really wants to revisit every year. It aired with the warning that some people might find this episode (and the entire series, heh!) offensive.

3rd Rock from the Sun (2nd season): I never got this show and the episode is what it is.

That '70s Show (1st season): This was more annoying than I thought it would be. It had the Married with Children type laugh track where the studio audience is hyper and every little sexual innuendo by the cast gets the audience screaming. Annoying. The cast was also over-acting, I thought. It was only the 12th episode they did. Did subsequent years get better? I did kind of enjoy that Marion Ross played their grandmother and I wondered if she did any more episodes.

The Cosby Show (8th season): This wasn't really a Christmas episode. It was about Claire having a room in the house built and remodeled just for her and in this episode it's done and she moves in. The Christmas part is that during the episode they're decorating and putting up the lights. None of it seemed that amusing to me.

NewsRadio (2nd season): Too many people in the cast made this problematic. Was not particularly amusing either.

Just Shoot Me (2nd season): Similar problems as NewsRadio, but this one was badly written. A running gag with David Spade wanting to travel with the photographer for a swimsuit model photo shoot turns amusing with a twist, but then they don't do the obvious payoff to it at the end. I waited for it and just got end credits. It was like giving you the premise of a sitcom episode and not following through and it made me mad.

Did anyone ever watch any of these series?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks