What's new

Fantasy Football (Non HTF leagues) (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, a few weeks ago Atlanta's D got the highest single player/unit points for a single game in our league this season. That was against Carolina.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I see my beliefs have been confirmed:

From Fanball.com:

Wide receiver Troy Brown admitted that he is still not 100 percent recovered from the knee injury he suffered in week three, the Boston Herald reported. ''At this point in the season I'm going to be as good as I'm going to get,'' said Brown. "Obviously I don't feel as bad as I did in October. But by no means am I feeling great at this point of the season. ....The newspaper also noted that Brown does not have as many long gains nor has he been as effective on punt returns since the injury.

Evan, I know you were wondering what made me believe that his injury was still lingering and it was the output - a point raised by the Herald as well.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Yeah I know John. I would love to have Denver's QB. If I knew you didn't like him, I'd have proposed that trade a looooooong time ago. McNair blows

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
OK coaches, how do I maximize my points this week?
Three wide receivers get to start. Driver and Burress have locked up the #1 and #2 spots. Conway is questionable to play at all. Who's the best WR play this week out of these three options?
Laveranues Coles (at home) vs the Denver Broncos
• Denver allows 205.8 ypg and has surrendered 10 passing TDs, but Coles would likely draw Deltha O'Neal
• Forecast is for mid-40s and partly cloudy (but no snow)
• Coles has a hot hand (158 yds last week)
Keyshawn Johnson (at home) vs the Atlanta Falcons
• KJ burned the Atlanta secondary for 131 yds and a TD in October, and this game is for the NFC South lead
• Forecast is for high-50s and mostly cloudy
Rod Gardner (at home) vs the New York Giants
• NYG has a depleted secondary and Gardner could face Sehorn (who stinks!)
• Forecast is for low-40s and partly cloudy (but no snow)
• Gardner has scored TDs in 4 of his last 5 games and is a prime red zone target
I think all three of these guys have a chance to get 100 yds and a TD, but I need to pick the one who will have the best stats. Anybody have an opinion?
Brad

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I'd go with Gardner. He's been the most consistent producer of that bunch throughout the year and has the best matchup.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK guys, same running backs as last time - only things are a bit more dire this time around. Choose two of these players:

Jerome Bettis vs. Houston - Broken nose? Banged up leg? Man, I'd love to start him against the expansion D (which ain't really all that bad), but I'm wavering.

Stephen Davis vs. Giants - I've been hearing that Davis' workload will suffer now that the Skins are out of contention. Not exactly good news.

Charlie Garner @ San Diego - At least this guy's healthy. Don't know much about the SD defense, but Garner's been fairly consistent with his total yardage.

Warrick Dunn @ TB - He's banged up, Duckett's breathing down his neck, plus we're looking at Tampa's D. I think I may have just talked myself out of Dunn entirely.

I'm leaning toward Garner and Bettis. Advice is appreciated. Good luck to all of those participating in their Fantasy Playoffs.

Go Eagles.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Scott... I'd have to go wit hthe same. Garner will get huge receiving numbers this week. Bettis should be running all day against Houston.

I'd go against any Redskins this week and perhaps for the rest of the season. Why? Steve Spurrier says that he wants to take a look at some of his younger talent on the roster for next season. This means RBBC and more receivers to spread the ball around.

So I'd go against Stephen Davis and Rod Gardner.

Brad Porter... I wouldn't go Gardner for the above reasons, and Coles plays a tough D who has held their last 3 quarterbacks they faced without a touchdown, and that leaves Key. Go with him and enjoy...

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I've wavered on starting Stephen Davis every week for over the past month. It looks like he's gotten over the knee injury but not Spurrier's playcalling. I could've sworn that Spurrier learned something when the Skins beat the Rams, running the ball most of the time.
Here's my rag-tag team; going up against #1 tomorrow in the playoffs. Feel free to laugh. ;)
QB (start 1): Griese, Collins
RB (start 2): Hearst, Davis, Shipp, Mungro
WR (start 2): Owens, Booker, Porter, Troy Brown, Travis Taylor
TE (start ): Sharpe
K: (1): Hollis
DEF (1): Jacksonville, SF
WR/RB (1): What's left from the RBs/WRs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,

Bettis is going to play against Houston despite a broken nose. However, do not expect big numbers, since he is having problems breathing, so Zeroue will probably play more than usual.

John, I would start Griese, Hearst, Shipp, Owens, Booker, and Brown. Don't expect big numbers from Hearst, though -- Dallas has a good defense.

I'm taking a slight gamble at the QB position and starting Maddox vs. Houston. I do not like my other matchups -- Pennington vs. Denver or Brad Johnson vs. Atlanta. Maddox may be a little rusty, but he's still playing Houston, and Bettis is banged up.

I'm playing the team (4-9) that's scored the least points in our league, but he has Favre vs. Minnesota and Ricky Williams vs. Chicago. While the rest of his lineup is average, those two players could put up huge numbers this week. I need a win to maintain my one game lead (10-3).

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've been trying to connect to the Yahoo FFB website for about 20 minutes now and it's not responding. I was going to change up players and check status to see if they're starting.
:angry: :angry:

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I'm taking a slight gamble at the QB position and starting Maddox vs. Houston. I do not like my other matchups -- Pennington vs. Denver or Brad Johnson vs. Atlanta. Maddox may be a little rusty, but he's still playing Houston, and Bettis is banged up.
In hindsight, this was more than a "slight gamble". :D
For the record, I started Gardner and he did fine - but not as good as Coles. Keyshawn sucked eggs. My main problems this week were limited production from Travis Henry and no passing touchdowns from Rich Gannon.
Still, all I need is a combined 15 points from Driver and Fisher tonight to lock up a playoff spot (43 points from them would give me the #1 seed and a bye week next week).
Brad

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Who'd have known that Stephen Davis was going to outscore Hearst? Davis would've gotten me 12 points; instead I settle for Hearst's 3. :frowning:
But to be honest, that wasn't one of the changes I was trying to make. I was going to switch out Porter though, as I was going against the owner of Gannon.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
n hindsight, this was more than a "slight gamble".
No kidding, Brad. :) The decision to play Maddox instead of Brad Johnson cost me 32 points. Fortunately, I still have a 34 point lead going into tonight's game, but my opponent has Ricky Williams and I have Randy McMichael.
Since Tampa is playing Detroit this weekend my QB decision has already been made -- I cannot pass up Johnson against the Lions. :)

MikeM

Screenwriter
(puts flame-retardant suit on)
I sat Deuce McCallister. :frowning:
I had Balt D, and picked up Dee Brown, and thought he'd go off against Cincy.....boy was I wrong. Man, it was a tough week.
Good thing Da Raaaaaaaaaaddddddaaaaaasssss played very very well this weekend.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thank goodness that Ricky Williams has a tendency to fumble! I won by two points, with the difference being Williams first half fumble (-3 points in our scoring system).

MikeM, Dee Brown over Deuce? Now, that was a gamble!

So, this weekend's decision will be whether to start both my Raiders (Garner and Rice) vs. Miami's defense. My other options are Amani Toomer (vs. Dallas) and Darrell Jackson (vs. Atlanta). Any opinions?

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I was the beneficiary of that fumble as well. In our FFL, the guy I was playing had Ricky, we tied, and the tie-breaker goes by total TDs that week from you team. I had 4 (Collins/Owens) and he had 3 (Williams/Smith). Talk about a nail-biter!

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Good News!
I'm in the playoffs!
Bad News!
My opponent's week 15 starters
QB - Tom Brady
Leads the NFL with 26 TD passes, 5th in passing yards, faces Tennessee - allowing most passing TDs in NFL
RB - Ladanian Tomlinson
Averaging 105.8 rushing yds per game, faces Buffalo - 2nd worst rushing defense based on yards allowed, tied for worst based on TDs allowed
RB - Clinton Portis
Averaging over 120 yds per game in last five games, faces Kansas City in a likely high-scoring shootout for a last chance at the playoffs
WR - Joe Horn
4th in NFL in receiving yards, tied for 7th with 7 TDs, faces Minnesota - 3rd worst passing defense based on yards allowed, tied for worst in NFL based on passing TDs allowed
WR - Eric Moulds
7th in NFL in receiving yards, tied for 3rd with 9 TDs, faces San Diego - 2nd worst passing defense based on yards allowed, bottom 10 based on TDs allowed
WR - Jerry Porter
Tied for 4th with 8 receiving TDs, 6 ft 2 in tall, likely to face 5 ft 11 in Marion or 5 ft 11 in Madison when leaping for end zone TDs
K - David Akers
Leads NFL in FGs made, Philly red zone offense still struggling
D - San Diego
Faces Buffalo, 13 Ints, 8 Fumbles, scored 17 pts or less in four of last five games
Bench players (just in case somebody gets hurt before Sunday)
Some chump named Marshall Faulk
Captain Comeback Steve McNair (He'll probably be in a coma until 30 seconds before gametime)
The entire Atlanta backfield (Dunn and Duckett) facing the awful Seattle rushing D
James Thrash (Feels like an up week for Trash)
Darrell Jackson (That Jeff George magic could be back)
If I manage to pull out a victory in this game I'm cranking up the Bad News Bears theme music until my neighbors call the cops. :D
Brad

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Brad - same here! I made the playoffs and actually won my first playoff game by tiebreaker (as noted above). This week, I get to play ol' Mack-daddy with his array of studs.
QB: Vick or Bledsoe
RB: Dillon & LT
WR: Moulds, Mason, Stallworth
TE: Fauria
K: Carney
DEF: NE
So, I'm totally screwed. ;)
I guess I could ask you guys for some help though. Who should I start in this exercise of futility?
QB (1): Griese or Collins
RB (2): Hearst, Shipp, SDavis, Mungro, Leon Johnson (yeah Chicago)
WR (2): Owens, Booker, Porter, Travis Taylor, Troy Brown
TE: Sharpe
K: Feely
DEF: Jacksonville
..and of course the WR/RB "flex" position that can be filled with either WR or RB.
Any help is good help! Thanks and wish me luck (in not losing by more than 40 points).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This week's game could be meaningless for me. I have a one game lead in my division (I'm 11-3), but play the 2nd place team next week. He owns the tiebreaker, so if he wins this weekend, our game next week will be for the division title and a spot in our Super Bowl.

I am trying to decide on two of the following three players:

Hines Ward (vs. Carolina), Charlie Garner (vs. Miami) and Amani Toomer (vs. Dallas).

Ward would normally be an automatic pick, but he's listed as questionable on the injury report (hamstring). Garner has been getting fewer touches the past few weeks. Toomer has been putting up good points on my bench, and with Dixon out is the only WR option inthe Giants offense.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The million dollar question for me this week is Charlie Garner or Ahman Green . If Green was healthy and the Pack had something to play for, it'd be Green in a walk. However, I worry about him sharing carries with Fisher and the potential for both teams to pull starters if it's not close since they've both clinched their divisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks