What's new

Faith No More question (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I heard the start of a concert on the radio last night while driving back from a Velvet Revolver concert. Anyway, I missed the opening of the radio show. I listened quite a bit before they annouced that it was Faith No More in concert from 1997.

The opening of the show was a very cool musical, it combined a harmonica with what sounded like a cello and a guitar. It was very very cool but after searching a couple of Faith No More sites I could find nothing about their concert intro.

Does anyone know anything about this opening tune?

AricB

Second Unit
I actually saw their tour in 97 with limp bizkit opening(yeah they sucked then too), and I dont remember anything like that, but that doesnt say much as I've seen lots of shows since and dont remember all the details of the show, except i think they were all wearing long sleeve button up white shirts black ties and black pants??

Blu

Screenwriter
Perhaps it was a song by Faith No More?
I just remember what it sounded like and enjoyed it.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I'll go you one farther and say it's the best rock album EVER!!

The song is definitely "Midnight Cowboy" as they opened with it on their final tour.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
heh

i saw mike patton with john zorn's hemophiliac last spring. he basically played "vocal distortion and feedback".

zorn on sax and a little japanese woman on iMac.

weird show for sure. lot different gig for patton than fnm.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think of Angel Dust as the pinnacle for FNM, building on what they had with The Real Thing.

I've never been the biggest Patton fan (not really into Mr. Bungle) and I always viewed FNM as "greater than the sum of its parts". I was bummed when James Martin left the group and never really dug their music without him.

I was lucky enough to catch them on the Angel Dust tour here in L.A. (Palladium), and that still ranks as one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i saw 'em warm up for the chili peppers in '87 in a tiny hole-in-the-wall college bar.

what a show THAT was.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

You can say that about, uh, everything he's ever done.

FNM, Mr. Bungle, "Adult Themes", Fantomas, Lovage, Tomahawk, Dil Escape Plan, Peeping Tom, etc

Gregory E

Second Unit
I saw Tomahawk open for TOOL a couple times. Patton is pretty crazy...but very talented and creative.

Did FNM ever record a version of "We Care a Lot" with Patton?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I don't know if they ever did a studio version, but there is a live version on the "Live at the Brixtion", which I once had on cassette years ago.

Jason

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Vince, I don't mean to make it sound like Martin was the McCartney to Patton's Lennon. But even if the guy's just there in the studio he has an effect on the dynamic of the band.

And for me, the proof is in the product. In general, when Martin was in the lineup, I liked their stuff, and without him...not so much.

Again, I think of FNM as more than the sum of its parts. Martin's not going to go down as a guitar hero in the annals of history, but he definitely had a, IMO, very positive effect on FNM.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Jason, didn't see that movie. Which part of my statement does that refer to, going down in history as a guitar hero or that he had a positive effect on FNM?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Anyone else here a fan of Patton's post FNM work?

Personally, I'm a huge Fantomas fan and have seen them everytime that they've been through Chicago. (Incredible Live Show!!!)

I've purchased nearly every disc that he's appeared on and the vast majority of them have been excellent with a few exceptions. I wish there were more musicians out there with his vision, creativity, and fearlessness.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Going by memory here, but in the beginning of the film, when B&T go to the future, they see George Carlin's character teaching class in this R&R future. He brings in from the past Jim Martin (Called Sir James Martin) as a guest. It has been a long time since I've seen the film, so I don't remember the exact details.

Interesting little story about that film. Aparantly, Jim Martin was supposed to do the guitar work at the end of the film, but the producers decided to go another direction and bring in Steve Vai to redo the tracks. It was interesting because this was after they filmed the scene with Jim's work.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks