What's new

Fairy Tale Movies The Tournament (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
ChuckDeLa said:
Is it just a tactic to make the other guy seem too emotional?
From me and on this forum? Naw, I don't do that. But I'd watch out for that SteveGon character. He's a sly one. :p) :D
Great idea for a tourney, Mike Hutman. Truth be told, my money's on The Princess Bride.

JenB

Screenwriter
Please note that Dome seconded Cinderella at the end of post #11.
Nominate:
Pete's Dragon(Disney-wonderful classic fairy tale about a boy and his dragon. I loved this one while growing up. Mickey Rooney and Helen Reddy were also quite enjoyable to watch.
Second:
Shrek
I also strongly considered nominating Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. For those trying to come up with great fairy tale movies, it is good to remember that many of Disney's animated classics over the years easily fit this theme. I potentially think the great possible entries overall could easily go higher then 32. All those both in and nominated are great choices already. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I read in another tourney that ‘all we needed was for someone to nominate Star Wars

Once again this film (and others) pop up in an inappropriate place.

Don’t take this as an attack Dome, but, your defense of your nomination in that it is a fairy tale, because it has certain elements, is a nonsensical argument. It is not the constituent elements of any film that determine its genre or type (not that all films can be so easily classified), but how those elements are used, how the story is told and the feel of the movie, as provided by the sets, the cinematography, music and other various elements.

I note that you also nominated Tolkien. This might have been marginally OK, if we talking The Hobbit. But nowhere have I ever read that J.R.R. ever considered The Lord of the Rings to be a fairy tale.

It is not even (primarily) a work for children.

BTW, I’m not having a heart attack, nor am I angry.

What I am is puzzled by the insistence of trying to fit films into tournaments for which they are not suited.

I will admit to being irritated at having to vote against films that I like (and likely for lesser films) simply because I feel that they should not be included.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And one more thing>
Fairy Tales are allegories. Tolkien always maintained that The Lord of the Rings was not an allegory.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

nominate: princess mononoke

i also wish star wars wasn't in, but what the heck; at least i'll have another opportunity to vote against it

why am i seeing a final battle of fellowship of the ring versus the two towers?... hey, i can just vote against both of them as well

this is going to be so much fun!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Second:
The Thief of Bagdad
Sorry Steve, I missed this nom the first time through. Something about wheat and chaff. ;)

JenB

Screenwriter
Hey Mike,

Dome seconded Cinderella (Post #11)already but I do not see it in the list yet.

Also, I nominated Pete's Dragon but I do not see it in the list yet.

Angelo also nominated Princess Mononoke as well.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Lew Crippen said:
Lew Crippen said:
It's true that while fairy tales may be allegories, but would children perceive it to be so? And while fairy tales may be allegories and Tolkien certainly maintained that LOTR was not an allegory, do not the two share common grounds in the basics of story? If anything is extremely telling here is that we have a tendency to look at everything with "adult" eyes (or worse, cynicism). It's like applying sexual predatory obsession to Red Riding Hood. Is a child (or should a child) going to really know this?
But if truth be told, the only reason why I even bothered to nominate Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is because Mike Hutman, the man running this tournament, originally had Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring on the master list. I having figure that since he had it on there, he would be okay with it. And this came after some serious deliberation of whether or not the story elements presented in TTT comply with those of a fairy tale. Besides, if any disagreements may arise (as is the case with the Star Wars films), then the seconders have control over what exactly gets into the tournament.
So if I might be allowed to, I withdraw my nomination of The Empire Strikes Back and instead nominate The Hobbit.
Oh well, I'll be back to discuss this some more. Right now, I've got to go watch a 7+ foot Chinese man duel with Shaquille O'Neal. Gotta root for the Asian brother. :D

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I guess that leaves one slot open.
I'll nominate Edward Scissorhands

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks