What's new

Eyes On The Prize / rights update (1 Viewer)

TimJS

Second Unit
Last December, after many efforts, I was able to make contact with representatives from Blackside Inc., the production company of the acclaimed civil rights doc, Eyes on The Prize . They told me that they were in the process of re-acquiring the rights so that the series could be re-broadcast and released on DVD.

A few weeks after I contacted Blackside, several stories broke in the press illustrating the scope of the rights acquisition minefield which would have crossed in order to make this possible. I have provided links below for your reading pleasure.

Recent announcements of donations & grants mean that the series will probably be televised in the fall of next year (tho there may be differences in the soundtrack). The DVDs, "...for educational distribution, may be ready by next summer." I assume that means that the DVDs will be priced for institutions, probably several hundred bucks. Don't know what it means for release date/pricing of commercial distribution for the Home Video Market.

In chronological order:

Bleary Days for Eyes on the Prize

'Eyes on the Prize,' off the shelf

Cash Rescues Eyes on the Prize

Tim

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
NPR ran a story about this last week. I hope they clear the rights for commercial sales soon. They've only cleared educational rights so far. Maybe prominent African-Americans will contribute to this, like they did with the costs of Spike Lee's Malcolm X that WB would not pay for?

TimJS

Second Unit
A brief update, PRNnewswire has posted a story announcing that EOTP will be rebroadcast on the American Experience this fall. Hopefully, this means that a DVD will be available soon thereafter.

Tim

Ronald G

Grip
Both series? If I remember correctly there were basically 2 series, are both being redone and broadcast i wonder?

Phil_L

Second Unit
These programs were fantastic. My father has had VHS copies for years that he uses in his classes, and I have had the privilege of watching them. This series deserves a release on DVD, and I am sure it would find lots of eager buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks