What's new

Extreme budget receiver! (1 Viewer)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Need a 5.1 receiver with the basics for a bedroom setup. I am doing 5 ELF1.0FPB, not much needed to drive these little suckers. Must be under $150, suggestions?

JeffHunter

Stunt Coordinator
They are fine receivers for what your budget is. Far better than entry line receivers by Sony / Kenwood ect ..

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
Take at look at www.ubid.com try and pick up one of their refurbed last year 500 or 600 series. May take you a little while, but it is worth the wait to get a $300 or $500 onkyo for %28 the retail price.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a local REX store? You might be able to find last years models at a low price (This is where I got my $160 Pioneer).

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ecost has a real nice Onkyo 6.1 for that price right now...

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...sp?dpno=297832

I almost ordered one, but, I decided on the Onkyo 501 from them though with less power for $25 more, because it had component video switching, see'n how HDTV is starting to really come into it's own, I felt since this was a family xmas gift, that component video switching will be becomming more and more important especially when ease of use for the average non-audiophile consumer is taken into account.

Good luck!!!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Nevermind, they must of sold out of that one really quick...... Sorry for the mispost....

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using the Sherwood RS-6108 and couldn't be happier.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Craig_W

Auditioning
If eCost ever renews its stock, it should be pointed out that the Onkyo HT-R510 does have component video switching. It has the exact same specs and form factor - including 3 sets of component video inputs - as the 501 except for the added 35 watts/channel.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if ArthurJ has auditioned any of these????

I just think Onkyo's and others just sound better than Sherwoods myself, but I admit that is purely perference on my part, and another set of ears my find differently.

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
If your budget is only $150, I would also recommend a older or refurbed receiver. ecost.com has some good deals on lower end onkyos and HKs.

Iver

Second Unit
The Panasonic SA-HE75. Apparently a descendant of the Technics line (Panny subsidiary) which for decades was in the business of making decent receivers at very low cost. You can get a brand new unit (no refurb) from a reputable merchant such as jandr for about $150.

The Denon deal mentioned above looks good (AVR483). The last time I dealt with Sixth Ave (or rather attempted to make a purchase), when they were in the city, they made a very bad impression on me, but people seem to find them okay to deal with now that the store has relocated to NJ.

You may run into the Onkyo TX-SR500 refurb in your price range. When I bought my Denon AVR-1602 I A/B'd it with the SR500 and there was a very noticeable inferiority in the Onkyo's sound which surprised me but was definitely there.

Finally, there are entry-level Yamahas on the market for $150 and one of those would be a good bargain if you can track one down.

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Panasonic SAHE70 which is last year's model of the SAHE75 and I have no complaints whatsoever. If I understand correctly the 75 has component inputs which is an upgrade from the 70

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks