What's new

Expensive chips and the chroma bug (1 Viewer)

AaronSchmidt

Auditioning
Thanks in advance for your time.
I have a 36" Wega XBR and need a pretty good prog scan DVD player to utilize all of my TV. However, in my research I've come to the conclusion that many chips better than the Mediamantics (found in the HK DVD 50 and Malata) have the chroma bug.
What am I to do? Can you all tell me which good chips (e.g. the Sage) and the players they are found in do NOT have the chroma bug?
I'm really tempted to buy the Toshiba SD-4700 after reading the review in "Sound and Vision."
I suppose another way to state this question is: What is the best DVD player $800 and under (preferably under).
Thanks. P.S. I really don't care about DVD-Audio options.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Most around here recommend the Panny RP91 for the money. It is pretty hard to beat at that price class although the Sony 700 is well thought of too for less.

I own the JVC 70BK. It is bug free for $250 or less shipped.

Sound & Vision and several other mags find it easy to overlook certain problems with various equipment they 'review'. While I really like the Tosh 4700 & 5700 I would not trade my 70BK for one. (Well maybe for the HDCD on the 5700...maybe.)

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, Arron, and welcome!
I am no expert, but I think you are confusing the de-interlacing chip (i.e., Sage), with the MPEG decoder. Certain MPEG decoders have the chroma bug (i.e., Zoran, for the Toshibas, Fujitsu for Pioneer, etc.). Here is a link to the Secrets of Home Theater article discussing the chroma bug: Link Removed This article also has links back to its excellent series of articles about DVD players, etc.

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Erin,

I'd go along with the rest of the chums here and recommend any of the Panny players. They're good bang for the buck.

However, since you have need of a region-free player, I would strongly recommend that you check out the Malata as an alternate player; it doesn't have the chroma bug, and it's a solid, all-around performer.

Gabby

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks