Philips DVD-972C Progressive changer: Next Best Thing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by George Be, Feb 19, 2002.

1. George Be

George Be Auditioning

[/size]I have been searching for the right DVD player. Like many others here, I want to replace my ailing CD changer with a DVD changer and have it do double-duty. Through this forum, I came across the "Secrets of..." site (which is BY FAR the best explanations and techie reviews of home theater I have EVER found!!! ), but after reading their DVD Shootouts, I was SPOOKED! I know some of the flaws they find might be considered subtle, but...I want as few flaws as possible, of course!

I am convinced, from what I've read on the Secrets site as well as here, that the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 represents the safest, most bug-free bet available in a progressive DVD changer. But...$1199! Ouch.

So I went looking for The Next Best Thing. After a lot of searching, I came across the Philips DVD-972C, which seems to be carried only by The Good Guys:

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=393165

This looks like a very nice player for the $299. It has the Faroudja FLI2200 chip (highly praised by Secrets), but apparently also uses some Mediamatics hardware (which was NOT so highly praised by Secrets.) Seems like it might be kind of a sleeper, in this price category.

Anybody have any experience with this player? Especially things like chroma bug, funky deinterlacing, etc. My girlfriend is on her way home with one right now, but I do have 30 days to take it back...

Also, I would appreciate hearing other people's votes for The Next Best Thing to the Kenwood Sovereign. I know the topic of DVD changers has been discussed quite a bit here lately, but I haven't come away with a clear idea of what folks like in order of decreasing expense (down from the Denon and Kenwood $1100 price bracket.)

Thanks,

GB

P.S. Cheapest place to pick up the Avia "Video Essentials" DVD???

2. Don McCune

Don McCune Auditioning

I too was interested in the 972Ch for the same reasons. However, I found out from Philips that the 972CH DOES NOT contain the Faroudja chip. It contains the Mediamatics chip as confimed by a response to my earlier thread.

If you are in no hurry I understand the new line of Panasonic products will all include the Faroudja chip and they will offer a 5 disc changer(CP72) around August.

Good Luck.

Don

3. George Be

George Be Auditioning

Wow! Thanks, Don.
    Not that I don't believe you, but...I just went out to the Philips site (I should have done that FIRST, eh?? ) and they say right on their site that the 972 uses the Faroudja chip:
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/glob...Id=DVD972CH_17
    (Goodguys obviously stole this text for the listing on THEIR Website!)
    (1) Do you have any documentation on who from Philips told you that? (Name, email, phone number, etc.)
    (2) This unit is a 972C , not a 972C_h_. DO you know if that makes a difference?
    GB[/size][/font]

4. George Be

George Be Auditioning

Don, after my post last night, I got curious and decided to take the player apart and LOOK for a Faroudja chip. Son-of-a-gun: I couldn't find anything that looked to ME like a Faroudja chip!

(1) Does anyone know what they look like (distinguishing marks, etc.)?

(2) Here is a list of all the chips in the machine (larger than 8 pins). Can anyone tell me if any of these are actually the Faroudja chip?

Logo: Capital L superimposed over capital G

Number:

LG GDC25D80

Logo: Mediamatics

Number:

Pantera-2

VT117AD

Logo: Xilinx

Number:

XC9572XL

Logo: small d (like Greek, with "tail")

Number:

33P3721-CGT

ZT01224

Reverse side of board:

Logo: Bold capital F, with middle stroke protruding through other side

Number:

N125

KA3031

Logo: Capital L superimposed over capital G (similar to other LG chip above)

Numbers:

GLT440L16

Logo: Hyundai

Numbers:

HY57VS53220B

Logo: Two capital B's back to back (Burr-Brown)

Number:

PCM1600Y

Logo: Two capital B's back to back (Burr-Brown)

Number:

PM1716E

Logo: Atmel

Number:

AT49BV1614

If none of these are the Faroudja chip, this is a BIG DEAL! Philips is essentially engaging in false advertising! I think my approach would be to give them 24 hours to change the info on their Website (and GoodGuys), or else I report them to the FTC. Any other ideas?

GB

5. Don McCune

Don McCune Auditioning

I also went to their site. What got me curious was there was a discrepancy. While the features and benefits page said it contains the Faroudja chip. The comparison page says it does not. That is why I made the inquiry. Here is a cut and paste of my e-mail request and the response I received from Hanry Craig

My E-Mail

On Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:22:56 -0800 you wrote:

>I am interested in the DVD972CH. Would like some additional information.

>

>

>Please confirm it includes the Faroujda FLI2200 Chip? The product comparison page says it does not while the features and benefits page says it does. The product does not show the DCDI logo on the front indicating it is included. If it does, is there a difference between the Chip in this unit and the one in the Q50AT? Product does not include

3:2 and 2:2 pull down. What does that mean?

>

Finally, I read the review in the DVD Shoot Out at the Home

theaterHifi web page on the Q50HT. Should I expect similar performance with the 972CH? Does this unit have the same Chroma Bug that the Q50HT did?

>

>Thanks,

>

>Don

Response from Philips.

Hanry Craig [[email protected]]

Dear Mr. Don McCune,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the DVD972CH and DVDQ50HT.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you.

The only DVD player we have on the market with the FLI2200 Chip is the

DVDQ50HT.

I had a response to my earlier thread where the respondant stated they too opened up their player and confirmed in only contains the Mediamatics Chip.

Pretty misleading isn't it.

Regards,

Don