Excellent 1080 24p HD discussion at starwars.com

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DaViD Boulet, May 21, 2003.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Slightly off topic from "DVD software", but certainly of interest to all in this forum:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/f...516/index.html

very good down-to-earth discussion about the nature of live - HD "filming" direct to digital and how new camera designs are improving image quality (by offering true 1920 horizontal resolution and 4:4:4 RGB recording).

Check it out.

Hopefully, as industry knowledge begins to grow about the advantages of 1080 24p HD filming (vs 1080 60I) and this practice becomes more affordable and more commonplace, our eventual HD-DVD format might benefit in the process.

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Excellent article David! Thanks for sharing that. I'm already salivating over Ep. III. :b

3. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    This is certainly good news. Looks like they are getting all they can out of 1080x1920p. Of course, great news would be a 1080x2535 cam that would allow for real 2.35. So they are still about 600 pixels per scan line from doing it right.

-Reagan

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

anything's better than the onscreen image I saw on Episode 2 theatrically, bleccccccccchhhh. Video noise and low detail all over the place. I realize that there may have been image manipulation and softening at work, but frankly I did NOT like what I saw

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

6. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I would put epoisode 2 in the theater as watching a DVD on a first or second gen. plasma screen, still not quite perfect but one cool looking image.

7. FredK

FredK Second Unit

I saw the press release last week but hadn't seen any discussion on it, thanks for the link!

Most importantly, it's the desire to put AOTC and now EP3 out on digital by LFL that has greatly increased the public awareness of the technology and its advances/limitations. Hopefully, as it seems to be, the PT has been an impetus for improving the technology and getting it to market faster.