What's new

Exact Power EP15, APS 1050, PS Audio PPP, APC S10, etc... (1 Viewer)

kitchener

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Perhaps a question that'd be tough to answer without trying it, but I'm wondering, since at their hearts, the APS 1050, the EP15, the PS Audio PPP, and the APC S-series are dual-conversion online power regenerators (outputting perfect 120V, 60Hz sine wave AC power), why wouldn't a more powerful HIGH-END (so-called "high performance") computer UPS of the dual-conversion, online variety do exactly the same thing?

I've run some forum searches, and the pitfalls of the lower-end computer UPS' have been discussed ad nauseum, with the most important issue being (in this context) that they really are just emergency standby power units (their flawed, STEPPED sine wave doesn't even apply until the power goes out). An APC Smart Ups comes immediately to mind as an example.

Dual-conversion, online power regeneration seems to be the consistent piece of secret sauce in products like the APS', the EP's, the PS Audio PPP's, and the APC S-series. When you step into this performance level in computer UPS', the prices really jump, but the tempting aspect is a refurbished one with new batteries can be had for under $300, and often under $200 if you shop hard enough.

I have yet to find a post reporting how this might turn out, but it sure seems tempting. The characteristics seem very similar, such as (paraphrasing some product descriptions): high efficiency ratings; true on-line, double-conversion providing perfectly regulated full-time sine wave output within ~2%; removing harmonic distortion, fast electrical impulses, and frequency variations; correcting line voltage conditions as low as 65V and as high as 138V back to selectable 100/110/120V (+/-2%) values, and so on...

As a reference, models offering this and frequently found at significant discount might include the Liebert GXT2, the PowerWare 9125, the TrippLite Online, Opti-Ups DS series, the MGE Pulsar OL, and the Best Power Axxium Rackmount.

Any thoughts?

Aaron

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Aaron. Welcome to HTF!

You are getting very specific for the Basics area so I will move your post to the Tweeks and Connctions where others with opinions on power supplies tend to hang out.

I just remember "The Sensible Sound" passing one of these units around to it's reviewers. The same unit made almost no difference in one reviewers system, but a dramatic difference in another. The difference was that one guy was out in the suburbs and the guy who noticed a dramatic improvement was in a city apartment with lots of other things sharing the AC power.

So you really do have to just try one and see how it works in your home. Hopefully from a local dealer with a good return policy.

Good luck and let us know if you try one of these things. We always love good stories even if they are successful or un-successful.

kitchener

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
I thought of putting it in the Tweaking section but it seemed such a sleepy subsection that my only hope of any feedback (replies) was in the main area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks