What's new

Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick; Surprise! It Actually Doesn't Suck! (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
With much trepidation, I decided to risk my $20 at Target last night, and it was money well spent. Controls like a dream (unlike the abomination that was 'Evil Dead: Hail To The King'), a solid, faithful to the source material storyline throughout the game, large levels (well, not quite GTA large, but you get the point), solid graphics (the State of Emergency engine has been ramped up considerably in the character model department), and, in case you are worrying, it has a pretty good amount of depth, unlike the aformentioned State Of Emergency or Hail To The King.

Don't go in expecting brilliance or incredible, GTA level depth, as it is basically just you running and gunning against an army of the dead, but they add enough twists, need for strategy, and different objectives to keep you coming back. Adding spells into the game adds a great deal, especially the "possess a deadite" spell (you'll see what I mean when you do it), as well as riffs on Army of Darkness when you do a spell incorrectly. It's one of the most pleasant surprises I've had this summer. An easy purchase for Evil Dead fans, and it almost makes up for the hideousness of Hail To The King....but no game will ever make up for that. I feel very badly if anyone paid more than $3 for a rental of Hail To The King. Imagine that, a THQ console game worth purchasing (can't say I've been able to say that since No Mercy for the N64). If you still aren't convinced, give it a rental!

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Imagine that, a THQ console game worth purchasing (can't say I've been able to say that since No Mercy for the N64).
I just said that last weekend when I got MotoGP2. ;)

But, it's good to hear that Fistful isn't as awful as that crapfest "Hail to the King". I knew THAT game was in trouble when I saw it at GenCon before release, and the kid playing it was whaling away on a deadite that had it's back to Ash, was facing a corner, and was not reacting at all to the attacks. Whooooooboy...

I'll give 'er a rental, at least, I guess...

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review! I really wanted at least one decent Evil Dead game! Imagine, trying to tell my wife the name of this game over the phone while she was at the video store... "No, it's Fistful of BOOMSTICK!" Of course, they didn't have it and I'm glad I wasn't the one asking for it! LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks