What's new

Eventual re-release of 4K titles with a new HDR format (HDR10+?) (1 Viewer)

Dylan

Agent
I have one of the last 1080P LED TVs made from Samsung purchased a few years back. I\ll eventually upgrade to a 4K OLED display when this current TV dies. My question is: I'm interested in buying new titles in 4K packaging since they also include the Blu-ray. What's going to occur with the HDR format war? Will titles be re-released in the alternative HDR format that wins out? I'm thinking of HDR10 titles being re-released in HDR10+ since HDR10+ is equivalent to Dolby Vision, technology wise. Ideally I would purchase all my future 4K titles in a Dolby Vision release format, based on reading tech articles comparing it to HDR. I do not want to update my main library again when I transition to 4K after finding out that a particular movie that was previously only available in HDR is being re-released in HDR10+. I know that some reviews state that in viewing Dolby Vision against HDR, there wasn't a substantial difference in picture quality, but the tech of Dolby with it's 12 bit potential and dynamic metadata seems better, on paper anyway.

Dylan

Agent
I guess since the tech is so new, until we get 12-bit panels to fully utilize Dolby Vision's potential, the comparisons between it and HDR are premature, as far as declaring a clear winner in this format war. Maybe 12 bit will not be a noticeable difference if current 10 bit panels fully utilize their display potential. I wonder if the reviews between the two different HDR formats are using displays that maximize the 10 bit panel potential?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not sure that the market will currently bear multiple UHD releases of the same title for incremental improvements like using one flavor of HDR on one release, and a different kind on another.

I think it's more likely that any new kinds of HDR might be added to streaming versions offered from vendors like iTunes or Vudu, but that discs will not be redone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks