What's new

"Escape from New York" SE: A TWO disc set?? Details... (1 Viewer)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
This definitely sounds like a Christmas present to
me from my family. The commentary with Russell and
Carpenter for THE THING is terrific and I'm sure it
will be entertaining for ESCAPE as well. :D

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The ESCAPE commentary from the old LD is one of my favourites ever, and I know a lot of other folk who also rate it highly. Very interesting, informative, but especially warm and consistently funny. I'm happy MGM are finally bringing a new S.E of the film to DVD.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I assume the bank robbery scene will be complete? I hated that the LD only showed snippets of it? Even the latest CD soundtrack had the entire score from that scene.

Mike

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
here is the review

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ewyork_se.html

Then we come to likely one of the most eagerly-anticipated and much sought-after extras ever for a John Carpenter film, the original Opening #1 to Escape from New York. It is included here as a separate supplement, at last in its uncut form (running approximately 10:51 including opening credits), and presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and english 2.0 stereo. After all the buildup (only snippets for the sequence were presented on the old laserdisc) I don't know if this is the Holy Grail anticipated by Carpenter and Plissken fans, but it is an interesting sequence. I feel that Carpenter was wise to cut it: - it doesn't really enhance the narrative, and while it sets up the Plissken character nicely, it is a bit lengthy and dates the film even more. As for the quality, it is only fair at best: the source material is very noise with smeared colors and poor detail. But I'm sure Plissken diehards will salivate over this nonetheless, and the optional commentary by Carpenter and Russell is a must-listen as well.

:D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Just a slight nit-pick for the hell of it...from DVD file:
A French mono dub is also included (the film's original English mono soundtrack is not provided)..
That might be because the film was never mono to begin with, it was Carpenter's first Dolby Stereo feature.

No biggie by any means but sometimes I wish reviewers would do just a little homework before casting (albeit minor) aspersions, IMDB is out there for some of this info but that place has been known for mistakes too.;)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
This is my favorite movie of all time. I traded in my other copy in the summer of 2002 to get the first Lord of the Rings DVD when Electronics Boutique did a trade in program because the SE was suppose to hit the stores at Christmas 2002. Well, it's been a year later, but it's finally here and I CANNOT wait. Awesome news!!!

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

Call me crazy, but I even just loved Kurt Russell's commentary on the Used Cars DVD... :emoji_thumbsup:

I don't believe Escape fro LA is 16x9 enhanced (any word on an SE for this title?), but I'm glad I haven't gotten Escape from NY yet. I was about to when I read about the SE a few months ago. This is good news.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks