What's new

"Escape from New York" SE: A TWO disc set?? Details... (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Video trade ads have revealed the details of the long-awaited special-edition two-DVD release of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, coming from MGM Home Video December 16. The set will include a brand new, high-definition transfer of the John Carpenter science-fiction thriller, with fresh 5.1 audio and a pair of audio commentaries (no details on who's on 'em, but presumably one will be the highly entertaining Carpenter/Kurt Russell track from the previous ESCAPE laserdisc). The second disc will contain what is likely the most anticipated extra: the full 10-minute deleted bank robbery scene (also with Carpenter/Russell commentary), along with a new featurette on the film and another on the SNAKE PLISSKEN CHRONICLES comic book, trailers, a photo gallery and more. The discs will come in a digipak with liner notes by Carpenter, plus a copy of a special-edition SNAKE PLISSKEN comic. All this for only $30!"

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=1356

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Here comes the special edition we should have had in Nov. 2000!!!

Finally, can't wait for this one. Don't care much for the comic though. It would be cool if they had preview of the anime movie that Production IG is working on.

Damn! The last half of this year is shaping up to be my most expensive!

Later
Jim

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Great news! One of the few Carpenter flicks that I don't own on any format.

Britton

Screenwriter
Well, so much for my earlier statement. :) This is great news indeed. I've come close to buying the current one since it's so cheap, but now my patience has been rewarded.

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
GOD I hate to be this person, but I love the original poster art and kind of wish they used it, or some variation of it.

No biggie, this one is mine when it hit's shelves!

Later

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
Finally! This will make a great gift for somebody to buy me for Christmas.

I'm sure some well-intentioned but ill-informed soul will try to be helpful so let me make a pre-emptive strike: This movie will NOT be edited because Air Force One crashes into a building in New York. That was an Internet rumor and never true.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I agree. MGM is the absolute worst with this; and yet, I can't think of any one DVD cover they've done that looks better than the original poster art. It's a disgrace.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
DVDFile's news section now has this up as well.

Outstanding news -- but I'll gladly and readily echo the plea for absolutely no EE (a poor alliteration, but an important request :)). MGM EE halos have been a real problem for a while, up to and including "hard line" EE on Die Another Day. If anyone associated with the studio is listening/reading at the moment, believe me, those in the DVD consumer community who care most about picture quality almost invariably loathe visible EE (visible on large, reference-caliber displays, that is, though I find it distracting on my carefully calibrated -- hours and hours with Avia in the UM and, yes, the proceed-strictly-at-your-own-risk, you-may-damage-your-television SM -- 32" anamorphic display, which suggests it is a rather egregious problem) and seek its elimination from all releases. Many discs have managed to eliminate it with outstanding results, so ... please, no more visible EE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks