What's new

Eric Johnson DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I just recently bought the new Eric Johnson DVD-A release of Ah Via Musicom, despite hearing that Eric Johnson himself had no knowledge whatsoever on it's release. EJ sent out an email stating his review of the disc and needless to say, he didn't like the mix.

Anyway, this was my first time buying a DVD-A disc so I was looking forward to listening to it no matter what. I'll eventually get the re-release when they remix it anyway. I popped the disc in and found that it had

DTS 5.1

Dolby Digital 5.1

Advanced Resolution stereo

mixes. I did not however see any sign of an Advanced Resolution surround mix anywhere in the menu. If anyone else bought this please tell me if I'm seeing all the different soundtracks on this disc. I thought the main advantage of a DVD-A disc was the AR surround mix, right? I always knew that they incorporated a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix onto every DVD-A release, but is a DTS soundtrack standard also?

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
You don't say which player you have but if it IS a DVD-A player, it has to be set for DVD-A priority, not DVD-video priority. If your player is NOT a DVD-A player, you are out of luck.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I played the DVD-A disc on a DVD video player. I do not have a DVD-A player. I know I can't play the high resolution part of the disc. All I was asking was if there was even an Advanced Resolution surround soundtrack to the disc. I take it I can't play the Advanced Resolution stereo soundtrack, right? Isn't Advanced Resolution soundtracks (stereo or surround) only listenable through a DVD-A player?

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

I think you may be confusing the terminology being used on the disc. The Adv. Resolution Surround track "is" the DVD-Audio 5.1 track. In order to hear either the Adv. Resolution stereo or surround tracks, you must have a DVD-A player. If you play on a standard DVD video player you are limited to the 5.1 Dolby Digital track or the 5.1 DTS track if one is available on the disc. Hope this helps clarify things a bit.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Hi all, I must clarify a few things. I am not confusing my terminology. I know exactly what I'm talking about. My original question was....

Is there an Advanced Resolution surround soundtrack on this disc?

I am completely aware that i cannot play any part of the advanced resolution soundtrack(s) to this disc on a standard DVD video player, which I have. I know that my DVD video player can only play the DD or DTS 5.1 signals. This disc says it contains an Advanced Resolution stereo soundtrack, as well as a DD and DTS 5.1 soundtrack. Where is the Advanced Resolution surround (5.1) mix?

Has anyone bought the disc?

come on people!

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, guess I misunderstood your question. Yes I have the disc and there most definately is a DVD-A surround track. My Dvd-A player automatically defaults to the DVD-A 5.1 track when I insert any DVD-A disc. Many of the DVD-A players available do this. In fact, on many of them, you can't play the lo-rez DD or DTS tracks.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
As an afterthought, if you're wondering why you don't see that as a selection on the Menu, it's because you don't have a DVD-A player. Many DVD-A discs only show what you can access on the menu based on the type player you're using. I've never thought about this before as I play mine on a DVD-A player, but I just threw a couple into my other DVD video player and none of them show either the DVD-A surround or stereo choices on the menu, just DD and DTS.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
sorry if I came across a little strong there.....but thank you for the information! Now I have a further understanding upon the subject. Well what do you think of the music? I think it's great. Can you notice a difference between the hi and low res music?

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
I just received it this week and unfortunately my DVD-A player is over a friends house. I'm getting the new Pioneer DV-47A, so he's auditioning my JVC to purchase. I've only listened to it once in lo-rez so can't do comparison with the DVD-A tracks as yet. If it's like my others (about 45), you can definately tell the difference between the two. This is the first time I've listened to Eric Johnson and I really like the disc. Since EMI is going to do a remix/re-release of it, I'll probably pick up the new mix as well, decide which version I like best and sell the other

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks