What's new

Equalizer options? (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Hello all,

I am interested in purchasing some sort of a graphic or parametric equalizer with a spectrum analyzer display to use with my Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver (mainly just for stereo music). I can't seem to find any audio manufacturers that still make this type of component. Are there any companies that still manufacture this type of thing?

I have seen several discontinued models that have caught my eye such as the ADC SS-412X, Kenwood 1070KE, and Technics SH-GE90 but I'm not too familiar with any of them. I'm just wondering if something like any one of these units is still available. If not, I guess I'll have to start scouring eBay for one.

Thanks.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Better get busy on eBay. I think the only one made any more is a low-end model from AudioSource. It won’t be a problem going with a used one, though – these things have a virtually non-existent casualty rate.

You have to keep in mind that with a home theater system you can’t connect these equalizers to a tape monitor loop, like in the old days. They can only be used between the receiver’s pre-outs and main-ins, or in-line between the CD player and the receiver’s analog inputs.

You might find this of interest:
Helpful Tips on Using a Stereo Ten-Band Equalizer

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Man, I was afraid I was going to hear that. My receiver thankfully has the pre-out and main-in loop available so that isn't a problem. You know... It wasn't until I scored an old Yamaha DSP-1 that I realized that my Onkyo didn't have actual tape monitor loop like my old 80's vintage integrated amplifier.

I'll have to admit that I partially want something like that for wow factor of the spectrum analyzer display. It would also be nice to nice to be able to have greater tone control capabilities while listening to 2-channel music. I currently own a 1986 vintage Fisher graphic equalizer with spectrum analyzer display but I’d like something a bit more sophisticated with an actual mic input for taking room measurements.

Thanks for the link... it was quite interesting.

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
I have been using a Behringer Tube Ultra-Q with spectacular results.
Behringer offers a wide range of Studio Equalizers at a very affordable price:
http://www.behringer.com/02_products...%20ACCESSORIES

Anyway, you only need e few connector adapters and you're set! I've placed my Ultra-Q between my Marantz CD5400OSE player and my H/K AVR430 receiver and CDs sound great!

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I found those on the Web the other night but I wasn't sure if they'd work or not because of the lack of RCA style connections on the back. That's good to know that those will work as well. What sort of adapters are needed to use one of those?

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
I am using RCA to 1/4" jack adapters. See reference 27-162-0 on this page:
http://www.a1parts.com/AudioAdapters/audioadapters.htm

Anyway, having to use these extra adapters is a minor inconvenience. These Pro Audio EQs are way better than any consumer EQ I've tried before. I had also tried the AudioSource EQ and was very unhappy with the result.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I also use Behringer for all channels. For the sub, I use the Behringer 1024 DSP 12 band stereo fully parametric EQ (as do MANY others here). For each of my other speakers, I use this 31 band digital 31 band stereo EQ. I have the calibrated microphone that matches these equalizers, and in about 2 minutes I can flatten the room response of each of my speakers individually. I have a very good system, but with the equalization it REALLY shines. I highly recommend them.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
The Behringer DSP8024 looks just about like what I am after (although the ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496 looks nice too). How would I connect something like this to the line-out and main-in loop on my receiver? Are those XLR connectors on the back?

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
Todd,

There are no rules on which device to use and for what purpose.
I am currently using the Behringer Tube Ultra-Q to "un-flatten" my frequency response and to add tube warmth/distortion to the sound. I am doing this because I don't like "flat" sound, the sound that I like looks "W"-shaped on a frequency response analysis.
I am also using a Behringer Ultrafex Pro to add surround information to the Stereo signal so that the Dolby PLII processor in my receiver can do a better job in extracting 5 truly separated channels from the signal.
So, according to expert options, I am currently breaking the sound, but it does sound much better for me this way, so no one can tell me I am wrong.

The conclusion is: use whatever Behringer tools you want and use as many as you need. Don't listen to us about how to use them. You cannot go wrong: if is sounds right to you, it IS right!

Max F

Second Unit
Do you guys have any problems with the output power levels on the consumers stuff being to low for the inputs on the pro stuff (which typically uses higher levels) or is this just a problem with digital EQs?

Good thread!:emoji_thumbsup:

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
My Behringer Tube Ultra-Q has adjustable input levels and I usually have to keep them quite low. If I push the input volumes very high the warning LED-s start blinking and I could even get distorsion.
So I guess the signal sent by my Marantz CD5400OSE player on the analog outputs is quite adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks