What's new

Episode 1 JVC DVD player subtitle problem (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I was watching Episode I and during the scenes where the aliens are talking to the humans, there are suppose to be subtitles, so you know what they are saying.
I saw subtitles during my viewing at Fox during the L.A. Meet.
My JVC is NOT producing the subtitles.
[Edited last by JohnS on October 19, 2001 at 06:38 AM]

M

MaxY

John,
Did you mean to say that your JVC isn't producing the sub titles of that they are player generated subtitles?
I know that they are shown on at least two of the DVD Players I have (A Sony 9000ES and a Panasonic DVL 50) but the thing I don't like about them is that they are player generated sub titles which don't look as good as subs that are a part of the picture.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure I understand your question. You say you are getting subtitles with your JVC player, so what's the problem? Lucasfilm went with player-generated subtitles so the film could be presented in different languages (the credits and opening crawl are even in Spanish if you select the Spanish language track in the disc menu).
If you meant to write that you weren't getting subtitles, I can tell you the first time the alien subtitles appear is when Qui-Gon is talking to Watto.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It should play one of the subtitle tracks by default. Perhaps your JVC isn't doing this. Just cycle through the sub tracks until you find the one you're after.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Rob,
I have cycled through the subtitles and I'm getting ZIP!
The only thing that works is the closed captioning(in white)
I have tested another DVD to see if the player generated subtitles work, and Charlie's Angles works fine!
[Edited last by JohnS on October 19, 2001 at 06:50 AM]

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the alien subtitles are burned into the film like they were on the theater. I think you have 4 different subtitle options, one of them must be the subtitles for the alien speech (the others are close captioned, commentary track subtitles and french subtitles).
They work ok on my Pioneer DVD player and on my G4 DVD-ROM. Maybe it's a glitch with your DVD player? Test the disc on a friend's DVD-player, might be a glitch with the disc itself.
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,
I have a JVC XV-SA70 and also get no subtitles. The only time you can get subtitles is when you turn them on permanently. I have tried every setting possible with no luck. Oddly enough if you try the Extended scenes on the second disc and they show up fine. This is very strange indeed.
Thx......Shawn

Shane Bass

Grip
I can't see the subtitles as well. I also have a JVC DVD player. Another thing, I thought that during the audio commentary, we were supposed to have a text that showed who was talking at that moment. For some reason, I can't see this text as well. I have tried every subtitle available and still nothing. If anybody has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
This seems to be a problem with JVC DVD players - the following is a post I put up (on page 4) in response to this issue being mentioned (on page 3) in the *****Official 'Star Wars Episode I' Discussion Thread :
----------
Peter (Rohlfs) -
Some players don't go to any default subtitles. You have to select Eng 2 subtitle option to see the aliens words.
At least on my JVC DVD player, according to the on screen display, subtitle track 2 is enabled during the movie - it just doesn't display anything. Turning on captions (either from the options menu or by using the remote to enable sub track 1) works fine, but sub track 2 won't display at all. Kind of a bummer, as it means no translations for Jabba, Watto, Sebulba, or any other alien dialogue.
I did notice, though, that the caption option enables/disables sub track one; the default alien-language-subtitles track (that isn't working for Peter and I) is sub track two; and my remote lists two more sub tracks (three and four), neither of which display anything either. Anyone know if anything is on these, and what they might be? I seem to remember one of them being labeled as 'Spanish' while I was switching among them, but no subs came onscreen. Wierd.
I've also had occasional problems with the menus, where the highlight/glow around whatever option is selected just disappears, and I can't tell what option I have selected until I hit play - kind of a Roulette style of watching special features, I suppose.
Aside from those issues, however, incredible disc! I've been playing with it in the evenings for the past two days, and - while I have some issues with the movie itself - I've been enjoying every minute of the disc, and especially 'The Beginning'. Awesome stuff, all the way around - kudos to Lucas and Fox.
Now - fix my subtitles, fix my menus, and lemme play with the DVD-ROM bits on my Mac, and I'll be really happy.
----------
So now the question is - is there someone (JVC/Fox/Lucasfilm) we can contact to try and get this resolved?
------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the alien subtitles are burned into the film like they were on the theater. I think you have 4 different subtitle options, one of them must be the subtitles for the alien speech (the others are close captioned, commentary track subtitles and french subtitles).
The subtitles are player generated, not burned.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Anyone wanna trade DVDs with me?? Click here

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
I just sent an e-mail to JVC through their http://www.jvc.com/support/index.jsp?pageID=5
The following information has been sent to JVC Customer Service.
First Name: Michael "Woody"
Last Name: Hanscom
E-Mail: [email protected]
Address: [deleted]
City: Seattle
State: WA
Zip Code: [deleted]
Phone Number: [deleted]
Model Number: XV-S45GD
Serial Number:
Date of Purchase: 10/11/01
Model Number: XV-S45GD
Serial Number:
Product Type: DVD
Inquiry Type: Other
E-Mail Body: Greetings - First off, my apologies for not having the serial number handy - I'm sending this from work. I recently purchased an XV-S45GD DVD player (the registration card should be on its way to you - I dropped it in the mailbox on the 17th). I just picked up the Star Wars Episode I DVD, and there seems to be an issue with the subtitle tracks - three out of the four (including the default track that contains all the alien language subtitles) subtitle tracks do not display, even when turned on. This seems to be an issue with JVC DVD players in general - if you look at this thread ( http://207.173.159.237/uub/Forum15/HTML/031996.html "Are there supposed to be alien subtitles during Episode I") on the Home Theater Forum ( http://www.hometheaterforum.com/ ), you should see other instances of other JVC DVD player owners having the same problem I am. As this appears to be a bug between the JVC software and the Episode I disc, I will also be sending a support question to 20th Century Fox regarding this issue. Thank you much for your time, and any future possible resolution.
Thank you. A representative will contact you shortly.
------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The subs are a little glitchy I think. Last night I watched the pod race and the subs didn't come up during the Sebulla/Anakin bit before the race. I would think that it would be automatic, without having to select anything.
Also, the other night while the movie was playing, I cycled through all the sub options, finally turning them "off". Then I'm seeing "Lucas", etc. that goes with the commentary, on the top of the screen. I pulled up my DVDP menus and the subs option was indeed off, but I had to highlight "off" and hit enter to get them to go away.
Edit: Sony DVP S360
patriot.gif

------------------
God Bless America
[Edited last by BrettB on October 19, 2001 at 10:37 AM]

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Though my post was already copied, just to give the details again:
JVC75GD
The subtitles 2 track is on but doesn't display. the only one I can get to work is the full english subtites.
I'll send an email to JVC tonight, though maybe we're looking at this the wrong way.
Maybe lucasfilm didn't test the disc enough before releasing because it seems to be all JVC players.
Peter

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
I just sent the following e-mail to [email protected]. I'm not sure if that's the best address to use, but it was the best I could find after bouncing through the Fox website for a while. I may love the product, but they sure could use some work on contact info for support issues... :P
Anyway - here's what I sent - again, feel free to copy/alter this for your purposes.
----------
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:45:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: SW:TPM DVD / JVC DVD players
To: [email protected]
Greetings -
First off, my apologies if this isn't the right e-mail address for DVD support questions, but this was the closest I could find after digging through the various FOX websites. If there is a better address to use, please feel free to either forward this e-mail, or send me the correct address and I'll send this again.
I recently purchased a JVC XV-S45GD DVD player. I just picked up the Star Wars Episode I DVD, and there seems to be an issue with the subtitle tracks - three out of the four (including the default track that contains all the alien language subtitles) subtitle tracks do not display, even when turned on. This seems to be an issue with JVC DVD players in general - if you look at this thread ( http://207.173.159.237/uub/Forum15/HTML/031996.html "Are there supposed to be alien subtitles during Episode I") on the Home Theater Forum ( http://www.hometheaterforum.com/ ), you should see other instances of other JVC DVD player owners having the same problem I am. As this appears to be a bug between the JVC software and the Episode I disc, I have also sent a support question to JVC regarding this issue. Thank you much for your time, and any future possible resolution.
------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the fox movie is a satalite dish channel.. I am not sure if they are going to help.. I would say write to Ron Epstein.. he could pass the e-mail to Peter from fox.
JACOB

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like this affects multiple models of JVC DVD player, at least one reported Sony (earlier in this thread), one reported Toshiba (see below), and some configurations of Macintosh computer systems - I got this information from MacFixIt :
David Snedigar replies: "It is not just a Mac problem. I had problems with the same subtitles on my home Toshiba DVD player - where they sometimes would work and sometimes wouldn't, or sometimes pop up for only a brief instance. Pausing or stopping the disc and the playing again seemed to resolve it. I have seen other PowerBook users comment that stopping and starting the disc has resolved similar problems for them as well."
------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but on my JVC XVS-60SL player, I get alien subs. I can't specifically remember Anakin's and Watto's conversation but I do distinctly remember Jabba's "Welcome" and "Begin the Race" dialog being on the screen. I remember thinking that the PG subs looked bad compared to the burned in ones at the theater.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks