Episode 1 JVC DVD player subtitle problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnS, Oct 19, 2001.

1. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I was watching Episode I and during the scenes where the aliens are talking to the humans, there are suppose to be subtitles, so you know what they are saying.
    I saw subtitles during my viewing at Fox during the L.A. Meet.
    My JVC is NOT producing the subtitles.
    [Edited last by JohnS on October 19, 2001 at 06:38 AM]

2. MaxY

MaxY Guest

John,
    Did you mean to say that your JVC isn't producing the sub titles of that they are player generated subtitles?
    I know that they are shown on at least two of the DVD Players I have (A Sony 9000ES and a Panasonic DVL 50) but the thing I don't like about them is that they are player generated sub titles which don't look as good as subs that are a part of the picture.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I'm not sure I understand your question. You say you are getting subtitles with your JVC player, so what's the problem? Lucasfilm went with player-generated subtitles so the film could be presented in different languages (the credits and opening crawl are even in Spanish if you select the Spanish language track in the disc menu).
    If you meant to write that you weren't getting subtitles, I can tell you the first time the alien subtitles appear is when Qui-Gon is talking to Watto.

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I am getting NO SUBTITLES

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

It should play one of the subtitle tracks by default. Perhaps your JVC isn't doing this. Just cycle through the sub tracks until you find the one you're after.

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Rob,
    I have cycled through the subtitles and I'm getting ZIP!
    The only thing that works is the closed captioning(in white)
    I have tested another DVD to see if the player generated subtitles work, and Charlie's Angles works fine!
    [Edited last by JohnS on October 19, 2001 at 06:50 AM]

7. Avery C

Avery C Auditioning

8. Frank L

Frank L Stunt Coordinator

I don't think the alien subtitles are burned into the film like they were on the theater. I think you have 4 different subtitle options, one of them must be the subtitles for the alien speech (the others are close captioned, commentary track subtitles and french subtitles).
    They work ok on my Pioneer DVD player and on my G4 DVD-ROM. Maybe it's a glitch with your DVD player? Test the disc on a friend's DVD-player, might be a glitch with the disc itself.
    ------------------
    Frank
    [​IMG]
    DVD Collection | Website

9. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,
    I have a JVC XV-SA70 and also get no subtitles. The only time you can get subtitles is when you turn them on permanently. I have tried every setting possible with no luck. Oddly enough if you try the Extended scenes on the second disc and they show up fine. This is very strange indeed.
    Thx......Shawn

10. Shane Bass

Shane Bass Extra

I can't see the subtitles as well. I also have a JVC DVD player. Another thing, I thought that during the audio commentary, we were supposed to have a text that showed who was talking at that moment. For some reason, I can't see this text as well. I have tried every subtitle available and still nothing. If anybody has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

11. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

This seems to be a problem with JVC DVD players - the following is a post I put up (on page 4) in response to this issue being mentioned (on page 3) in the *****Official 'Star Wars Episode I' Discussion Thread :
    ----------
    Peter (Rohlfs) -

12. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

13. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

I just sent an e-mail to JVC through their http://www.jvc.com/support/index.jsp?pageID=5
    The following information has been sent to JVC Customer Service.
    First Name: Michael "Woody"
    Last Name: Hanscom
    E-Mail: djwudi@yahoo.com
    Address: [deleted]
    City: Seattle
    State: WA
    Zip Code: [deleted]
    Phone Number: [deleted]
    Model Number: XV-S45GD
    Serial Number:
    Date of Purchase: 10/11/01
    Model Number: XV-S45GD
    Serial Number:
    Product Type: DVD
    Inquiry Type: Other
    E-Mail Body: Greetings - First off, my apologies for not having the serial number handy - I'm sending this from work. I recently purchased an XV-S45GD DVD player (the registration card should be on its way to you - I dropped it in the mailbox on the 17th). I just picked up the Star Wars Episode I DVD, and there seems to be an issue with the subtitle tracks - three out of the four (including the default track that contains all the alien language subtitles) subtitle tracks do not display, even when turned on. This seems to be an issue with JVC DVD players in general - if you look at this thread ( http://207.173.159.237/uub/Forum15/HTML/031996.html "Are there supposed to be alien subtitles during Episode I") on the Home Theater Forum ( http://www.hometheaterforum.com/ ), you should see other instances of other JVC DVD player owners having the same problem I am. As this appears to be a bug between the JVC software and the Episode I disc, I will also be sending a support question to 20th Century Fox regarding this issue. Thank you much for your time, and any future possible resolution.
    Thank you. A representative will contact you shortly.
    ------------------
    Woody Hanscom
    My site: DJ'ing info, blog, and more...

14. BrettB

BrettB Producer

The subs are a little glitchy I think. Last night I watched the pod race and the subs didn't come up during the Sebulla/Anakin bit before the race. I would think that it would be automatic, without having to select anything.
    Also, the other night while the movie was playing, I cycled through all the sub options, finally turning them "off". Then I'm seeing "Lucas", etc. that goes with the commentary, on the top of the screen. I pulled up my DVDP menus and the subs option was indeed off, but I had to highlight "off" and hit enter to get them to go away.
    Edit: Sony DVP S360
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    God Bless America
    [Edited last by BrettB on October 19, 2001 at 10:37 AM]

15. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

Though my post was already copied, just to give the details again:
    JVC75GD
    The subtitles 2 track is on but doesn't display. the only one I can get to work is the full english subtites.
    I'll send an email to JVC tonight, though maybe we're looking at this the wrong way.
    Maybe lucasfilm didn't test the disc enough before releasing because it seems to be all JVC players.
    Peter

16. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

I just sent the following e-mail to foxmovies@fox.com. I'm not sure if that's the best address to use, but it was the best I could find after bouncing through the Fox website for a while. I may love the product, but they sure could use some work on contact info for support issues... [​IMG]
    Anyway - here's what I sent - again, feel free to copy/alter this for your purposes.
    ----------
    Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:45:23 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: SW:TPM DVD / JVC DVD players
    To: foxmovies@fox.com
    Greetings -
    First off, my apologies if this isn't the right e-mail address for DVD support questions, but this was the closest I could find after digging through the various FOX websites. If there is a better address to use, please feel free to either forward this e-mail, or send me the correct address and I'll send this again.
    I recently purchased a JVC XV-S45GD DVD player. I just picked up the Star Wars Episode I DVD, and there seems to be an issue with the subtitle tracks - three out of the four (including the default track that contains all the alien language subtitles) subtitle tracks do not display, even when turned on. This seems to be an issue with JVC DVD players in general - if you look at this thread ( http://207.173.159.237/uub/Forum15/HTML/031996.html "Are there supposed to be alien subtitles during Episode I") on the Home Theater Forum ( http://www.hometheaterforum.com/ ), you should see other instances of other JVC DVD player owners having the same problem I am. As this appears to be a bug between the JVC software and the Episode I disc, I have also sent a support question to JVC regarding this issue. Thank you much for your time, and any future possible resolution.
    ------------------
    Woody Hanscom
    My site: DJ'ing info, blog, and more...

17. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    the fox movie is a satalite dish channel.. I am not sure if they are going to help.. I would say write to Ron Epstein.. he could pass the e-mail to Peter from fox.
    JACOB

18. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Looks like this affects multiple models of JVC DVD player, at least one reported Sony (earlier in this thread), one reported Toshiba (see below), and some configurations of Macintosh computer systems - I got this information from MacFixIt :

19. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but on my JVC XVS-60SL player, I get alien subs. I can't specifically remember Anakin's and Watto's conversation but I do distinctly remember Jabba's "Welcome" and "Begin the Race" dialog being on the screen. I remember thinking that the PG subs looked bad compared to the burned in ones at the theater.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

20. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, damn. I have the JVC 723 and am also not getting the subs. This sucks.
    I do wish they would use the original burned subtitles. I mean this is a part of the film and should not be an option.
    C. Ryan
    ------------------
    http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp