What's new

Entertainment Weekly's Best and Worst DVDs of 2003 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

after finally finishing up the last film a few nights ago, i would be willing to vote this set, LEAST IMPRESSIVE big release of the year.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I kinda figured this would rile some folks up :)

I happen to enjoy EW quite a bit actually. It's the only magazine I subscribe to. Naturally I don't agree with everything they say (that'd be a bore) but I enjoy the style of writing, the fact that they will devote large articles to non-mainstream personalities and their sense of humor.

Of course MY best/worst list is VERY different from theirs but that's part of the fun I guess.

Oh, before I forget, Happy Holidays everyone.

Vic Cordova

Agent
it's becuase of smarmy articles like this that i avoid that magazine like the plague... that goes for rolling stone too... a

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I hate to say it, but I agree. I'm thrilled to have the DVDs of the films, but it's not quite the spectacular release Lord Of The Rings has been, for example. Every film in the Warner Legends collection got better treatment. To me, the Indy set seems like a bare bones release of each film with some small documentary stuff hastily thrown together.

I know Spielberg isn't the biggest fan of commentaries, but he's not the only person who was involved in making these films. With Indy, I really think that had the chance to put out a huge set, something like the new Alien set or the Lord Of The Rings extended edition sets (as far as bonus features, not in extra footage). There's nothing on those Indy discs - as far as I'm concerned - to make it a bona fide special edition.

Joel C

Screenwriter

As a fan of EW, I am deeply offended by your glib statement. There's nothing wrong with MBFGL. I mean, EW.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
MBFGL was released on DVD BECAUSE it was shit. If Columbia TriStar wants to make ANY money off it, they needed to release it right away before fans of the show stopped caring about it. Remember all the talk about the final Matrix movie being released before Christmas? Same reason, right?

I think it's foolish to lump an entire genre into 1 ranking. To make it more foolish, they have "The Singing Detective" on the "best" list. Hello morons, that's a MINI-SERIES, which makes it a TV set.

Gord

CraigL

Screenwriter
Ditto to everything Josh said about Indy.

*sigh*

Where were you people when I was fighting this set months ago. While it remains my #2 trilogy of all time, I was totally disappointed with the presentation of these DVD sets. Pretty much barebones.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I bought around 23 TV sets released on DVD this year & with few exceptions they were all great.!

George See

Second Unit

I did I let my subscription go right down the drain. I'm not even sure why i subscribed in the first place.

Saying that they Judged an entire Genre as the worst is an understatement. Tv on DVD encompases many genres, comedy, drama, documentary etc etc...so they pretty much said TV was the 2nd worst thing of the year...that's just great
:rolleyes

JohnAP

Second Unit
Obviously, this was in the reviews part of the year end roundup. Their dvd reviewer is allowed to call MBFGL crap because he thought it was, just like their movie reviewer hated MBFGW. That said, I also thought it was stupid to have the whole genre of tv on dvd on the worst list instead of specific releases. On the best list last year, it made sense to put it there because of the explosion in product. Now its here to stay. If a hundred terrible sitcoms have to flood the marketplace, just so Freaks & Geeks can get on dvd, then its worth it.

EW's reviews are a mixed bag. I don't think a lot of their reviewers are particularly great, but they're right enough that I don't skip over the last section of the magazine.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I have 10 out of 10. I'm pleased that they included the 3 Colors and the Truffaut set.

One caveat: West Side Story, while a wonderful release for features, could have been more wonderful. Specifically, it needed a new transfer (this is the same as the older one) from restored 70mm elements, and even more specifically, there is one scene which is damningly bad. The Balcony Scene, with the song "Tonight," has badly out-of-sync audio, a hugely distracting error. Mr. Harris himself said a recall was in order.

I'm guessing that many people who bought this DVD didn't watch it all the way through, or there would have been big trouble over this.

Still, all in all, I think EW's top ten list is pretty accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks