What's new

Enterprise 1.23.02 (1 Viewer)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
The thing I like about Dr. Phlox is that he is so enthusiastic and cheerful. He seems very genuine and respectful.

The actor (John Billingsley) does a good job at portraying this without being too 'syrupy' - for lack of a better word.

He is quite the opposite of T'pol. Both aliens have been in space for a while and know what to expect. While T'pol appears quite cynical of the humans and their mission, Phlox seems quite excited for the humans and helps them in any way he can.

[bad analogy]

It's like he knows the ending of the movie and he is enjoying his friends watching it for the first time.

[/bad analogy]

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
Chalk up another recommendation for this episode, Jack.

Like everyone else, I thought the prime directive speech was forced and somewhat awkward.

Outside of that, Bakula gets the chance to act and show what he brings to the character - thoughtfulness, and the understanding that they (the crew and himself) are breaking new ground everywhere they turn. He does this so well, I can't believe it took the writers this long to write in a good scenario. Furthermore, they didn't force him to do a scene where he makes awkward first-contact over the comm and has to give some pea-brained speech like "We're from Earth, we like meeting new people, wanna come over for pizza and a football game tonight?"

The plot and ideas were great. Yes, they feel very Trekish, and have links to stories previously done. But that in and of itself doesn't get my goat; the story, to whatever extent you may feel is similar to a previous Trek episode, is well worked into the Enterprise setting, and it's executed rather well.

One of the top episodes to date.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I wish that Archer's thoughts on interference and a 'directive' could have been written with a little more subtlety, but otherwise I thought it was one of the better Enterprise episodes.
Scott Bakula continues to impress me as Archer and is increasingly becoming my favorite Captain in the Trek universe. He brings some real thoughtfulness ( as Dan said ) and humanity to the role. Agree with others, that this episode helped develop that aspect of his character even more. My favorite sequence was Archer explaining to T'Pol that he understood what the Vulcans must have felt like when they first encountered Earth 90 years ago. The scene played out nicely and was another sign of how Archer's character has grown through the series.
While I certainly enjoyed Shatner and Stewart's roles, Bakula seems to have more range and balance in his portrayal of Captain Archer. He is certainly more believable than that horndog Captain Kirk, who seemingly lost his ship every other episode :), and more approachable than Stewart's Picard ( who was still quite enjoyable for me, despite these comments .) I realize that this is partly due to how the characters were written, but nevertheless I have to give some credit to Bakula.
Dr. Phlox is working out quite nicely. Once again, echoing previous comments - During the pilot episode 'Broken Bow', the resemblances to the Thermians ( of Galaxy Quest ) and the Neelix characteristics gave me concern over how the character would work in a long term series, but Billingsley has done a fine job with Dr. Phlox. I find myself agreeing with previous posters on many points, and ( once again ) I agree that he has managed to capture an 'alien' feel that helps define his character with minimal exposition. One of the marks of any good actor, IMHO.
- Walter.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Re: the prime directive reference.

Speeches where an actor has to utter a famous catchphrase as if the character had never heard it are notoriously hard to do. (Ask any actor who's ever had to do Hamlet's soliloquy.) James Cromwell got away with it in First Contact because he knew enough not to pause before the familiar phrase ("star trek") and not to give it any emphasis. I think Bakula fell into the trap of winking at the audience. I almost expected Theodoric of York to jump out and say: "Nahh."

M.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I just don't like Archer. I can't seem to get past him. Most of the other characters I'm okay with, but Archer does nothing for me. In fact, he has a negative impact on me.

Todd.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I liked the episode although I did wince at the "Prime Directive" speech. The episode allowed us to see more from Bakula than the Captain Doofus role thats been written so far.

It still leaves the door ajar for Enterprise to be involved in the catastrophe that leads to the "Prime Directive".

If Archer had played god and made Flox give them a cure then half of us would be complaining about that instead.

It could also turn out that the space slug they dropped off on it's non-native planet could be the "Prime Directive" mistake. Don't laugh it was a mistake and I'm working on the "Butterfly" principle.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Interesting comments, bro's. Even the naysayers have whetted my appetite for this episode. Man, I'm really looking forward to it. And I think we've been nailing down Phlox's appeal quite nicely.
(Mark, go ahead and make that assumption! :) )

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I hate to say it, but I'm looking more forward to next wek's episode when T'Pol, Hoshi, and Malcom get down to their skivvies in the decontamination chamber. :)
Too bad no one told Flox to shut the hell up while the movie was playing. Seeing Tripp get all teary-eyed was pretty funny. I think I like Tripp the best, he's just so earnest.
The whole "so that's how the Prime Directive came about" story was okay, could have been better, could have been a whole lot worse. I didn't really buy Archer's agonizing decision because we didn't get to see him agonize for the entire show, but more like 2 minutes. That cut down on the resonance of Archer's decision.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Well, since the whole episode was shown from Phlox's perspective, it would be cheating to then drop Phlox and show Archer's thought process.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I finally saw this episode last night (I catch the Sunday reruns, out here).
This is my second favorite episode, with the premiere taking first. I really enjoy the "day in the life of" episodes. And the dear doctor is a wonderful character. However, I know why I like him: he's the character Neelix should have been. He's interested in life, in humans, in his work. He's encouraging, but not syrupy-sweet. He's friendly, yet no-nonsense. He speaks his mind, but generally with tact. And he conveys a similar detached interest and bemusement towards humans that Spock did; as opposed to the disinterest that Tuvok and T'Pol exude.
Yes, the "directive" speech at the end was ham-handed and over wrought. But the concept was good, IMO.
And what was the episode "Data's Day" about? Unlke everyone, it seems, I don't remember episode titles nor plots for every single episode (just a select few). Thanks.
Finally, what's with the lady (exo-biologist, forgot her name) essentially telling Phlox, "I just want a fling, Ok? Let me be your intra-galactic mistress." ;)

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Data's Day concerned Data writing a letter to Bruce Maddox (the guy who wanted to disassemble Data in The Measure of a Man) telling him about a day on board the Enterprise. It concerns O'Brien getting married to Keiko (who is introduced in the episode) and has Data concerned that he has to dance at the wedding, so he enlists Dr. Crusher to teach him. Meanwhile, the Enterprise is transporting a Vulcan ambassador, T'Pel, who in the end turns out to be a Romulan spy whom they deliver right into enemy hands.
Finally, what's with the lady (exo-biologist, forgot her name) essentially telling Phlox, "I just want a fling, Ok? Let me be your intra-galactic mistress."
Ensign Cutler? I didn't get that her comments to "see what happens" to mean she expressly wanted him. It's obvious such things are cool with Phlox' species. It seems like the Denobulans are into "open marriages." Ensign Cutler, though, is a charming character, and it's good that's she recurring (she was also in Strange New World).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mark - thanks for the summary of Data's Day. That seems vaguely familiar, but it's been a while.
I didn't get that her comments to "see what happens" to mean she expressly wanted him.
Oh, I did :) She kissed him on the cheek goodnight, after a date. Now, after being told he's married she says, "Let's see what happens."
When a woman tells a married man (alien or not) that she wants to see "what will happen", rather than "Oh no! I wasn't thinking of anything romantic!", then she's thinking about gettin' jiggy with him. That was definitely not a "just friends" answer :D

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Forget the "Prime Directive" speech. Like Walter, I was also more affected and impressed with Archer's scene with T'Pol. To me, this was the most important scene in the episode. It showed much more effectively the extent to which the Human race has grown since attaining interstellar travel: A lot more than we originally thought, but a lot less than we realized we needed.

This is definitely one of my favorite episodes.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I put "The Good Doctor" squarely into the Plus Column--though, curiously, I wasn't quite as impressed with it as were Jason and Mark--but I certainly didn't view it with the disdain that Steve did. A good episode, in all--and, like the last episode, in keeping with this let's-get-to-know-the-crew-better theme of late. And that theme, with its B-story emphasis, echoes TNG's fourth season in a big way.

Tomorrow night's episode looks like it might be another shoot-'em'up, and I hope Enterprise navigates clear from this trap; it's too soon for that sort of stuff.

Why can't The Factory try to capitalize on purely science-fiction themes? I want to see exploration for the sake of exploration--drama is inherent in the concept of interstellar travel.

It's also time for the crew to come across the remnants of an alien civilization wrapped in exciting mystery. Something akin to the Krell from Forbidden Planet.

Off topic: Ain't it bad that none of the other series from TNG on ever exploited the Gateway of Forever? The "mirror Earth" concept was exploited fully in DS9 (perhaps too much), but the Gateway deserved a revisit.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Off topic: Ain't it bad that none of the other series from TNG on ever exploited the Gateway of Forever? The "mirror Earth" concept was exploited fully in DS9 (perhaps too much), but the Gateway deserved a revisit.
Nah. As much as I like the nods to Trek continuity that DS9 would occasionally do, the Guardian Of Forever is too powerful a plot device to revisit; you'd almost have to do a story on how Starfleet/Section 31 has buried any record of its existence, and mined the space around the planet. Otherwise, how do you keep someone from returning there every time things go wrong, or continuous open warfare as the Klingons, Romulans, Zencathi, Breen, Cardassians, Dominion, Orion Syndicate, Gorn, Tholians, First Federation, Pakleds, etc., all try to lay claim to what is potentially the most potent weapon in the galaxy.

And, to a certain extent I'd really rather the shows came up with their own stories, rather than trying to repeat what has worked in the past. New-viewer friendly, clicks with a modern audience, and all that.

Besides, do you want to be the person on the staff of Star Trek that prompts Mount Ellison to erupt?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm not saying it wouldn't have entertainment value... Ellison reacting to a Berman & Braga-written sequel/prequel to "City On The Edge Of Forever" would certainly get me to a convention. I'm just saying I wouldn't want to be the target. :)
Sadly, Tom Snyder no longer has a show, so the "Harlan Ellison exploding on national TV" factor probably wouldn't be there, unless he appears on Charlie Rose or something.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I remember Snyder getting a bit snitty with Ellison way back on his old Tomorrow Show on NBC back in 1973--on a panel with Ray Bradbury ("How do science-fiction writers respond to all these UFO sightings we're having?"). As the show was concluding, Ellison asked Snyder if he could say hello to his family, to which the host replied, "No, you may not. Use the telephone." For once, Ellison was speechless. Imagine that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks