What's new

Enterprise 05/21 (1 Viewer)

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, DS9 never did a season-ending cliffhanger. They would do season enders that introduced a new threat or otherwise set up a shift in the status quo
I think this is one of the reasons DS9 worked so well, it broke the Trek mould in so many ways. IMO, the best DS9 "cliffhanger" was when Sisko abandoned the station, and the last shot we saw was the Federation and Klingon fleets getting ready for action. Wow!

By the way, does anyone else think that the mystery man that the Suliban keep talking to is the Vulcan leader?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Frank: Paramount Studios is on Melrose Avenue. I'm one block south from Melrose--and about six or seven miles west of the studio. I know what Berman and Braga look like. :)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Obviously Jack and I are just kidding around about B&B. Neither of us would want nor wish any type of harm to come to them. It's just a shame that fans like us have to suffer because of their vision or wants for the franchise.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Perhaps I overstate the case. I know I read a rather longish feature piece that was exactly about this topic, entitled something like: "If you've been wondering why so many shows have season-ending cliffhangers . . . ."
I honestly can't remember how long ago the story appeared (anywhere from 3 to 10 years ago) or where. It was not on-line. It could've been in Variety, The Wall Street Journal (outside chance!), or, most likely, it was a syndicated feature story picked up by the local newspaper.
I haven't had any luck with various Internet searches, so I don't know what else to tell you except that what I say below is the best of my recollection of the contents.
It said something to the effect that, after the massive success of "cliffhangers" for shows like Dallas (and maybe it mentioned TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds") and the like, the networks and/or tv producers (in conjunction with, or, rather, probably at the instigation of, their marketeers, of course) had "wised up" to how they could use these on a regular basis to build viewing audiences, especially over the summer months. The basic idea is, if I remember correctly, to attract viewers who've missed regular season episodes, esp. those in the latter part of a season, to come back and view them in the summer months. Many people who may have missed episodes during the regular season can be attracted to well hyped season enders that (supposedly) leave their audiences waiting for fall conclusions. So, the idea is to rebroadcast low-rated episodes or just sequential episodes that build toward the season-ending cliffhanger which is almost always broadcast again just before the new season. It's supposed to be a way to satisfy advertisers that somebody will see their ads in the "dog days of summer" as well as build an audience for the next year's season.
Sorry I can't point to the specific article itself, but it's been so long since I read it. I figured this phenomenon must've gotten sufficient coverage elsewhere as well.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Can someone please explain that ending to me? Why would they transport Archer to a time/place where they wouldn't be able to go back?
They transported him ahead in time, but they pulled him off of the Enterprise, and he did not get on the other ship. The second they did that, the timeline changed, which brought about the destruction in the future. So apparently, he was supposed to go on the Suliban ship. They made a mistake, and now have no way to get him back.

Of course, if the town was destroyed years ago, they obviously didn't have any way to bring him forward, so the timeline wouldn't have changed, and therefore, the city would not be destroyed, and they would have their machines, so they could bring him forward in time, and thus, change the timeline, meaning the city would be destroyed . . . .

Oh, crap, now I've gone crosseyed!

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I believe I've come up with a possible solution to the cliffhanger:
I think it's vitally important that we didn't see the Enterprise get destroyed. If that were the case, it would be up to Archer and Daniels to restore the timeline. If we're to trust what Daniels said, it would be very difficult to do so. On the other hand, Silik states that he has permission to destroy the Enterprise, which he actually doesn't have: he asks Future Guy if he can, and Future Guy just responds with "Bring me Archer." So I think Silik's ploy is just a bluff to get Archer, whom he doesn't know has gone into the future. Well, that solves the immediate problem of saving the Enterprise, and it gives the plot somewhere to go.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Here's my solution

The english armoury guy (I forget his name right now) goes into Daniels' quarters and uses the little black box from which they took the Suliban stealth ship plans and builds his own little time portal.

jeremy

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The same thing I always hate about time travel stories. They say "time", but people usually get transported MILLIONS of miles through space as well.

Either one of these is improbable enough. Both together are practically unbelievable.
Actually, current thinking is that you can't be transported through time without crossing vast distances of space. And even if you could travel back in time to, say, the Cretacious Period, do you really think the Earth would be in the same spot in space as it is right now? You'd have to travel millions of miles just to stay in the same geographic location as your time of origin.

----------------------

This is getting rather tiresome. Watching anything Trek is like watching Clasky Csupo animation: It all looks the same. I really had very high hopes for this series.

James Gumbart

Stunt Coordinator

It was stated at some point that he was from the 26th century and couldn't move anything physically through time.

Okay, so maybe it's just me, but I liked this episode. I realize it had its flaws and the last few episodes have been okay to God-awful (but I was glad to see Hoshi get a little action, she's very attractive in my opinion, more than T'Pol...wait, what was I saying?)

Oh yeah, I liked it. To be honest though, I can be impressed with flashy future technology and good special effects almost any day (the Voyager finale being a possible exception).

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
DS9 is one of my fav shows ever and they did have cliffhangers for the story. Not like TNG or Voy where they do the cliffhanger then the following episodes have nothing to do with it at all.

Here are the cliffhangers for DS9

1)The Jem'hadar-Ends with sisko saying "We will be ready for them"
2)The Adversary-Ends with Odo saying the Founder infiltrator told him "There already here" before he died
3)Broken Link- Odo after turning into a Human, remembers from the great link that Gowron is a shapeshifter
5)Call to Arms -After leaving the station the defiant and Rotaran join the federation/klingon fleet, ready to strike back.
6)Tears of the Prophets-With Jadzia dead and the wormhole shut , sisko leaves the station to go to Louisiana on Earth. He takes his baseball, which kira realizes and think he wont be coming back.

Even though DS9 is over the books which started last year are like a 8th season of ds9. They are very good and they also have story like cliffhanger endings

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
So, naturally, these time devices conveniently adjust for millions of miles to get the characters to just the right (i.e., convenient) spot for the action every time? Incredible.
Absolutely. But it’s not a matter of convenience. It’s just a matter of engineering. Wormholes transport through time as easily as they do through space. The first step is to create a wormhole. Then you’ll have two wormhole openings (doorways, if you will) that can be transported anywhere you can move any similarly-sized object. Leave one doorway in your bedroom, take one to the office, and you have instant transport from your house to the office every morning, thereby eliminating that bothersome commute. If your office is on another planet, then so much the better. If you’re in the habit of sleeping late and not getting to work on time (even after eliminating your morning commute), simply take the wormhole doorway from the office and put it aboard a spaceship that can go nearly the speed of light. Run it around at nearly light speed for a couple of hours to give it some relativistic time lag, and then place it back in the office. Then, when you walk through the doorway in your bedroom, you’ll arrive at your office, on a different planet, two hours in the past. This gives you an extra two hours to sleep in every morning.

But don’t forget that when you walk through the office doorway back to your bedroom, you’ll be transported two hours back into the future. If you want to stay in the past, you’ll need another doorway.

A robust network of these wormhole-connected and well-placed doorways can transport you where you want, when you want, anywhere and almost anywhen in the universe. The major limitation of this kind of time/space travel device (the only kind currently believed possible) is that you can’t go back to a time before the device existed – something that is not acknowledged in the Trek universe.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
The major limitation of this kind of time/space travel device (the only kind currently believed possible) is that you can’t go back to a time before the device existed

So what you have to hope for is that another civilization that existed before humanity also used the same technology, and you can make use of their wormholes.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Danny R wrote:

. . . and go to their "offices" billions of miles away millions, if not billions, of years in the past or future on planets(?) just like yours so that you can breathe the air, drink the water, not be poisoned or crushed by hostile elements in the environment, etc., etc., etc. All very convenient.

Infinite conveniences in infinitely convenient combinations.

Incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks