What's new

enough amp? (1 Viewer)

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Ello folks.. Heres my dilemma. Im trying to work my way towards separates based system. Currently using a Marantz SR7000 and just picked up a Newcastle 9080 amp for really cheap. Its rated at 120per i think.. Im not really going to be using the amp for a while since my house is being built now and im doing a garage conversion for the HT. The room will be about 16x20 when done.. Im using Miarge speakers..OM6. OMC2, OMR2.. anyone think i will be underpowered for this room with these speaks?? Also plan on the 950 when i move this summer..

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Roughly -

Take the sensitivity of your speakers (86db)

At one watt (1)

Add 3 db every time you double the watts

2 89

4 92

8 95

16 98

32 101

64 104

128 107

Then cut 3 (?) db off for every doubling of the distance. The sens. is figured at 1m.

2m = 104

4m = 101

If this was with my speakers in my room, I'd be out of juice at 98db or so.

The distance cut may be 6db per doubling, I forget.

- CM

This may be completely off base due to MANY factors.....

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
I think you lose 6db for every doubling of the distance past 1 yard. So, if you are 2 yards away

from the speakers when you listen, you've lost your first 6db of volume. If you are 4 yards way,

then you lose another 6 db. If you are 8 yards away, another 6db. Most people are going to be

sitting between 2 and 4 yards away from the speakers.

The goal being to have enough power to get your speakers to reach Dolby Labs reference level

for volume at the viewing position for movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks